Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #181
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,911
I am excited to have a better motorcycle battery, and the light weight of these things sound great. . . . but don't you guys worry about wear on the starter clutch with all these "warmup" engine turnovers? I know that it's hell on my LC4 starter clutch to have a low battery and a slow turnover, I think the LC8 starter clutch is the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Makes me think twice about the Shorai.

Anyway, afaik, I'm still on the stock Yuasa in my 2006 950. It's the battery that was in it 2 1/2 years ago when I bought it, and it sure didn't look new then. It's never hesitated starting the bike up.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #182
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,653
Cliff: re: the cold weather starting issue...

Would leaving the battery on a trickle charger in sub freezing temps keep the battery physically warm so that it'd start right up in the freezing cold?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #183
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,656
There is no way I"m putting a Shorai in my bike. Some have had no problems----a lot have had problems---a failure of a brand new Shorai almost ruined an Alaska trip I did last year---and as the charging system was trying to charge a bad battery it fried my buddies stator---and this was his 2nd failed Shorai. I"ve seen the failures up front and personal.
I put a Odyssey in my 950----why you ask ?????---------------. I've got a 9 year old Odyssey in my KLR---------it has never seen a charger------ever. Screw the weight savings---------I've got to have a battery that will start my bike no matter what------no matter how cold. Screw having to warm it up.

I pretty much never say bad stuff about a product on line. I just keep my mouth shut----I hate the internet scare thing--but not on this one.
The number of batteries this company has had to replace I'm sure would be an embarrassing number----kudo's to them for doing so. The 4 people that I personally know that have had them---have had problems. That's a 100% failure rate of my friends.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #184
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Clif: re: the cold weather starting issue...

Would leaving the battery on a trickle charger in sub freezing temps keep the battery physically warm so that it'd start right up in the freezing cold?
Tried that, didn't work. The cold-soak when temps are in the 20's easily overcomes that plus the Shorai's are usually almost fully charged and the Battery Tender slows the charge rate down when it hits the limit.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #185
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
There is no way I"m putting a Shorai in my bike. Some have had no problems----a lot have had problems---a failure of a brand new Shorai almost ruined an Alaska trip I did last year---and as the charging system was trying to charge a bad battery it fried my buddies stator---and this was his 2nd failed Shorai. I"ve seen the failures up front and personal.
I put a Odyssey in my 950----why you ask ?????---------------. I've got a 9 year old Odyssey in my KLR---------it has never seen a charger------ever. Screw the weight savings---------I've got to have a battery that will start my bike no matter what------no matter how cold. Screw having to warm it up.

I pretty much never say bad stuff about a product on line. I just keep my mouth shut----I hate the internet scare thing--but not on this one.
The number of batteries this company has had to replace I'm sure would be an embarrassing number----kudo's to them for doing so. The 4 people that I personally know that have had them---have had problems. That's a 100% failure rate of my friends.

BigDog
Mark, which Odyssey battery? The only one that fits the OEM battery box is the PC310 and it's quite marginal at starting the 950/990. I have one and found it too weak for my 990.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #186
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Mark, which Odyssey battery? The only one that fits the OEM battery box is the PC310 and it's quite marginal at starting the 950/990. I have one and found it too weak for my 990.
I used the 310----and added the included padding to fill the extra space. It spins my 950 over so much better than the 2 old OEM's I had. Maybe the 990 needs more for F.I. ?????
On paper---yes it figures out to small---but Odyssey guaranteed it to work-----I've had it in there for months---and it starts the bike great on very cold mornings.

The worst thing about the Odyssey batteries is that they don't make all sizes. They would double sails if they did. I had to put my Odyssey for my KLR in sideways to make it fit.

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #187
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
I used the 310----and added the included padding to fill the extra space. It spins my 950 over so much better than the 2 old OEM's I had. Maybe the 990 needs more for F.I. ?????
On paper---yes it figures out to small---but Odyssey guaranteed it to work-----I've had it in there for months---and it starts the bike great on very cold mornings.

The worst thing about the Odyssey batteries is that they don't make all sizes. They would double sails if they did. I had to put my Odyssey for my KLR in sideways to make it fit.

Mark
Yep I like the Odyssey batteries, have a few auto ones. Spendy and serious batteries! Just wish they made a size that fit the 990 as far as CCA.

My Shorai's have worked well for me and no failures after 12,000 miles on a Gen 1. Also worked fine on my Aprilia RXV550 small-case 14Ahversion, no failures there. Just put a Gen 2 (current version, heavier terminals, voltage regulated) small-case 14Ah in my Husaberg FE 390 and it starts with serious authority even in the 20's.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #188
Cougar8000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

BigDog
If you go spend a day in the terminally ill sector of the hospital you would think that we would all die in 3 weeks?!

You are using stats that are not accurate. Their failure rate is below 4% last time I spoke with my rep. That is on par with other companies. last year I bought a top rated car battery for my 4Runner and it was dead in a 3 days. It happens. They have replaced for free and I never had an issue.

In a bit over a year that I sell them I sold over couple of hundred of them and only know of a 2 cases where Shorai worked with my client and decided to simply return the money. Both cases were on HD bikes. There were maybe 5 other cases where my customer received a bad battery. Each of those was resolved quickly and at no cost to the customer. Once they got a new replacement battery they had no problems going forward.

It is a new technology. There are bound to be up and downs. How they deal with it is what counts.
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #189
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar8000 View Post
It is a new technology. There are bound to be up and downs. How they deal with it is what counts.
Fair enough, however, this is a forum with people who ride in remote places and failure rates can potentially be RPOA (Royal Pains in One's Ass), whatever the impeccable dealer support is
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #190
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
I bought one in September. It was hard to start once the weather got cold. 2 weeks ago I tried starting using the cold weather technique of letting it warm up by running current to it and then letting it recover between attempts. Result, 1 super dead battery. I contacted them directly and they reviewed my case and within a day agreed to replace the battery. I think they did a great job with the customer service aspect, but the bike has now been down for over a week and we have had pretty mild weather for January in the northeast. I NEVER had a single problem with the OEM Yuasa that lasted 4 years, and never was on a tender. It always started no matter what the temperature.

So the jury is still out. I will see if this one is an improvement. I was very happy with the light weight, but it doesn't do any good if it doesn't work. I'll keep you posted on battery number 2 once I get it and get the bike running again.

I do want to stress the fact that they agreed to replace the unit without any hassle (other than the obvious of my bike being sidelined.) So, they get an A+ for customer service.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #191
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar8000 View Post
If you go spend a day in the terminally ill sector of the hospital you would think that we would all die in 3 weeks?!

You are using stats that are not accurate. Their failure rate is below 4% last time I spoke with my rep. That is on par with other companies. last year I bought a top rated car battery for my 4Runner and it was dead in a 3 days. It happens. They have replaced for free and I never had an issue.

In a bit over a year that I sell them I sold over couple of hundred of them and only know of a 2 cases where Shorai worked with my client and decided to simply return the money. Both cases were on HD bikes. There were maybe 5 other cases where my customer received a bad battery. Each of those was resolved quickly and at no cost to the customer. Once they got a new replacement battery they had no problems going forward.

It doesn't have to fail to be more of a pain in the ass than a couple pounds is worth.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #192
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Fair enough, however, this is a forum with people who ride in remote places and failure rates can potentially be RPOA (Royal Pains in One's Ass), whatever the impeccable dealer support is
+2

My Shorai went south in Uzbekistan after almost 6 weeks of ownership and 4 weeks of riding. Not happy. It's a VERY bad place to search for a battery that's capable of turning over an LC8 or similar.

Kurt

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #193
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
It doesn't have to fail to be more of a pain in the ass than a couple pounds is worth.
The routine for cold starting is a PITA, and did cause me pause. But for me, the value in the Shorai is in knowing it will start the bike when I want to ride it. When my 990A was new it had a very tough time starting when cold (20F and below), and often would not start at all unless the battery was kept afloat with routine charging. That was a bigger PITA. So far, so good. But I still keep the jumper cables packed in the trunk.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #194
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 695
I just sent one back from my 450exc. 6 month old - they sent me a new battery free and free return shipping. It had failed to connect to the Shorai charger. It still woked just figured for the $$ it cost I would take then up on a new one. I think they are making so much money that they will replace ANY failed battery with no hastle.

As long as I can get a year out of one, I would never go back to lead-acid on a trail bike with a kick starter backup.

I will not run one as my primary battery on the 950. I do carry a Shorai in my tail bag for jump starts.For the size and weight of these batteries it's a no brainer to carry a second battery when out in remote areas.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #195
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
Im ready for a new battery. I have owned the Odyssey in another bike and loved it. Much better than stock. I want one for the KTM, but it does seem to be undersized. Of you that have used the Odyssey in the KTM 950, is it good to start the big one in 20F weather? I live in Montana where cold mornings are the norm in spring and fall riding weather.
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote