User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #196
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Thumbs down

Installed the Shorai 18A-1 yesterday. She cranks right up at around 32 degrees, and the swap was a breeze. Very nice.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #197
ExV1x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Doesn't anybody live in sunny SoCal where we don't deal with cold starting ? Is this the only issue with the Shorai ?
ExV1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #198
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExV1x View Post
Doesn't anybody live in sunny SoCal where we don't deal with cold starting ? Is this the only issue with the Shorai ?
I'm sure a big percentage of Shorai's batteries go to riders in warmer climates and they likely have zero issues other than the usually small percentage of batteries that fail too soon. All brands have that. Of course in a forum like this you mostly hear about all the failures, not the high percentage of good experiences. As others have vouched for, Shorai has great customer support, which has been my experience too.

I know that Shorai did improve the batteries in Gen 2 (current versions), with internal regulator and thicker terminal posts. I'm running a Shorai in both my current bikes and would switch them out if I though they were bad. Shorai won Product of The Year with Dirt Rider this year, so they can't be that terrible.

Any actual cold weather performance reports (from users, not vendors) of the other A123 based batteries that are packaged in the red plastic case/black top that seem to be marketed under half a dozen different names?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #199
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
I got a call from Shorai and an email telling me that they would replace my battery. About a week turn around.

So I need to read this thread about a cold weather problem it seems.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #200
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Well guess what? I now have two (2) replacement batteries from Shorai. I just emailed to let them know about the mistake. I have figured out how to use this battery in the 625 SXC too. Perhaps I should just keep the second one. I wonder what the shelf life is one one of these things?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #201
ExV1x
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Well guess what? I now have two (2) replacement batteries from Shorai. I just emailed to let them know about the mistake. I have figured out how to use this battery in the 625 SXC too. Perhaps I should just keep the second one. I wonder what the shelf life is one one of these things?
Want to sell it ?
ExV1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #202
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Want to sell it ?
I have one that was a brand new replacement I got from them about a month ago. I'm picking up a new stocker this afternoon so I don't think I'm keeping the shorai. If I lived in a warm climate I would have no hesitation. PM me and I can send you the specs later when I get home I think it is the 18AMP. I put in in the bike and started it but still have trouble cranking in cold temps so I took it out. I did not even run it on the bike yet. It isn't worth the trouble to have to cycle it multiple times, I don't have a 30 year old motorcycle and am not going to put up with that BS to save a few pounds. I need my bike to start without drama.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #203
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Quote:
Want to sell it ?
I think I'll keep it and put it in my 625 sxc. I used to move the old battery back and forth between the bikes There is just enough room in the sxc when you pull out the stock battery rubber bottom and move things around a little.

They have good customer service.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #204
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 551
Something to consider. My bike had a problem that led to the Shorai battery having problems.

It turned out that I had a bad voltage regulator and the bike was not charging the battery. When I was stopped and idling there was enough voltage to charge but when I was riding at higher RPM the voltage regulator failure was causing the voltage to drop (not go up). I'd ride around with my aux lights, GPS and grip heaters on making the problem worse. Finally the bike would not start on cold mornings. Is your voltage regulator working?

I talked to Shorai about the battery before I knew of the voltage regulator problem and they replaced the battery and were very helpful. That led me to testing and determining the voltage regulator was bad.

I've had a couple of cold mornings with temps in the mid to low 30's and it has started fine.

Cold temperatures are still a problem with the battery chemistry. Growing up in Labrador we used to plug the car in so the block wouldn't freeze. I think what someone needs to develop is an electric heater to surround the battery. Then plug the charger into the heater into the battery. When the battery is charged the current would be used to keep the battery warm. Maybe part of a grip heater element and some thin aluminum strips to transfer heat around the battery.
EdGear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #205
JGE
Adventurer

^They already have battery heaters for cars so can only imagine they have them for the smaller form factor of these size of batteries.

Google search, first thing that came up for me. http://www.padheaters.com/battery_heater.html
JGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #206
ÖÖ.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 239
Poor mans battery heater.

Lähettäjä Akkulämpö

Lähettäjä Akkulämpö
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #207
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ÖÖ. View Post
Poor mans battery heater.
I'd be quite interested to hear how that battery heater pad can make much of a difference, unless of course it's powered up for at least a couple of hours, until the battery core reaches a more reasonable temperature. I somehow prefer to use the battery own energy to quickly heat the internals (with some substantial current draw form heavy loaders), as long as capacity hovers around some safe levels (>90%).

There's also another interesting thread where another inmate has taken the LiFePo4 battery investigation to the next level, and the findings regarding capacity and some regulators/rectifiers shortcomings might be of interest to some of you following the Shorai subject.

And one last item that I found useful, although a bit expensive, is a high precision (micro-processor based) digital voltage real-time monitor for Shorai battery charging. I'll report on its capabilities as soon as it arrives and gets installed.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #208
ÖÖ.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpi View Post
I'd be quite interested to hear how that battery heater pad can make much of a difference, unless of course it's powered up for at least a couple of hours, until the battery core reaches a more reasonable temperature. I somehow prefer to use the battery own energy to quickly heat the internals (with some substantial current draw form heavy loaders), as long as capacity hovers around some safe levels (>90%).
I'm also interested if it make any difference at all. I'm hoping that this heating system could rise the battery temp faster than just keeping your lights etc. on. Usually when outside temperature has been above 10 C it has always started fine. Few degrees less and its a no-go without 15 min start-relay exercise. It's not that big of a difference but of course it's difficult to transfer that heat to the battery internals and it may take some time like you said.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #209
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,912
Talking Awesome batteries

I agree with EdGear.
IF your Charging System is workin properly,
I don't see how you could go wrong the Shorai 18ah

Mine has worked Amazing for well over a year in All Temps

I wouldn't dare buy anything else
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #210
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,524
Just installed one into my 950 here in sunny Perth (aust) and it spins the twin much quicker than the OEM. Have to say I have no idea how old the OEM is cos it's been there since I purchased the bike about 3 years ago