Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #271
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,357
Been using the 14ah Shorai in the 990 for sometime now with zero issues.

However, long story short I pulled the perfectly working battery out and when I reinstalled it, the starter just clicks clicks clicks. Lights come on, fuel pump cycles as normal, all fuses good.
Just won't start.

battery was completely discharged while out and I had to charge it with a solar panel.
Battery reading 13.4v now

Either the battery is fried or the starter?

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #272
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Been using the 14ah Shorai in the 990 for sometime now with zero issues.

However, long story short I pulled the perfectly working battery out and when I reinstalled it, the starter just clicks clicks clicks. Lights come on, fuel pump cycles as normal, all fuses good.
Just won't start.

battery was completely discharged while out and I had to charge it with a solar panel.
Battery reading 13.4v now

Either the battery is fried or the starter?
more info is needed .. at what temps do you operate LC8 at?

what's the exact model number? Shorai LFX14 ranges from 1.4lb to 2.3lb or about 3AH to 5AH actual .. not 14AH .. pq/eq means little to nothing. same for CCA numbers.

you need to measure bike's parasitic drain so you can figure out how long bike can sit without draining battery to dead. use 3AH to calculate from until you post actual weight of battery. please also post voltage measured at battery 3k rpm and idle. it's important to use a known to be correct meter.

to determine is your LiFePO4 battery is still good. charge with any full size PB charger without desulfate mode (not a tender). 12v LiFePO4 reaches full charge at 14.6v ..

then allow battery to sit overnight. resting voltage should be 14.25v range .. at first current draw .. voltage will quickly fall to 13.3v .. this is completely normal.

then start your bike for the load test ... if resting voltage is 14.25v then starts your motorcycle strong .. odds are your LiFePO4 battery is fine. if LiFePO4 battery resting voltage is 14.25v and starter only clicks. then you don't know if battery is dead and/or starter relay/starter/key switch, bad connection, etc is bad.

report back for next steps ...

13.3v (90%) when putting your bike away for the night is the desired voltage. don't allow your battery to fall below 12.85v (20%) for max life.

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 06:01 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #273
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,357
Thanks! I'm going to put it on the charger as soon as a confirm the non-desulfate issue. 13.46v right now @ about 45F in the garage. Maybe the 13.46v is not enough juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
more info is needed .. at what temps do you operate LC8 at?

what's the exact model number? Shorai LFX14 ranges from 1.4lb to 2.3lb or about 3AH to 5AH actual .. not 14AH .. pq/eq means little to nothing. same for CCA numbers.

you need to measure bike's parasitic drain so you can figure out how long bike can sit without draining battery to dead. use 3AH to calculate from until you post actual weight of battery. please also post voltage measured at battery 3k rpm and idle. it's important to use a known to be correct meter.

to determine is your LiFePO4 battery is still good. charge with any full size PB charger without desulfate mode (not a tender). 12v LiFePO4 reaches full charge at 14.6v ..

then allow battery to sit overnight. resting voltage should be 14.25v range .. at first current draw .. voltage will quickly fall to 13.3v .. this is completely normal.

then start your bike for the load test ... if resting voltage is 14.25v then starts your motorcycle strong .. odds are your LiFePO4 battery is fine. if LiFePO4 battery resting voltage is 14.25v and starter only clicks. then you don't know if battery is dead and/or starter relay/starter/key switch, bad connection, etc is bad.

report back for next steps ...

13.3v (90%) when putting your bike away for the night is the desired voltage. don't allow your battery to fall below 12.85v (20%) for max life.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #274
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Thanks! I'm going to put it on the charger as soon as a confirm the non-desulfate issue. 13.46v right now @ about 45F in the garage. Maybe the 13.46v is not enough juice.
if 13.46v is for Shorai LFX14 taken resting overnight ... that's about 92% full and perfect voltage for starting. just off the charger at 13.46v is not fully charged. resting voltage is what's needed.

use this chart for state of charge by voltage for all 12v LiFePO4

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 08:36 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote