Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #76
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
A 1.5 - 3 amp Trickle charger is useless with any discharged battery in my book.
From what I hear, the Shorai is hot enough out of the box to crank your bike.

Every biker should own a Variable 2/12 & Higher Amp Batt Charger.
I'll use my 2amp for my Shorai before it swap it for the HEAVY Stocker.
Yeah, thanks.

I have all the battery chargers I need, including a 40/60 amp Forney roll-around, and I'm pretty certain I would have no perception of the difference in weight between these two batteries given where they are located on the bike.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #77
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Ran across this while looking for max charging voltage

Here's an interesting (to me anyway) post by David Radford, pres of Shorai, USA, over on Basem's blog on about.com motorcycles. It was in answer to some questions by posters.

1) Possible lamp life reduction for lights on your bike

Not a problem. Our standing voltage on initial key ON (before cranking) will be about a volt higher than lead-acid, but that isn’t enough to significantly reduce bulb life, nor is it as high as the voltage seen while the vehicle is running. After the vehicle is running, the voltage to the bulb will be the same with lead-acid or our LFX, as it is the charge output voltage seen by the bulb (13.6V~14.6V), which is above resting voltage for both battery types.
2) Possible problems with charging circuitry
3) Will the charging profile designed for a lead acid battery work properly for a Lithium Ion battery?

Our LFX have identical terminal charge voltage – 14.2V~14.6V (14.4V nominal) as lead-acid, and the same charge curve (CC-CV). No problem, at all. However, the ideal charger will be our own BMS01, which will be out by early March 2011. That has a pigtail from the 5-pin port, which can be tied off in an accessible location. The 5-pin port allows us to diagnose and charge each cell individually, for maximum accuracy and cell balance.

4) How does this battery compare to a AGM battery

It really doesn’t. It solves the sulfation problems, weighs a LOT less, and supplies more constant voltage to the vehicle systems, at the level modern systems require (recently many EFI problems are associated with too-low voltage during cranking with laed batteries). The two technologies have virtually nothing in common, except the charge requirements.

David Radford
President, Shorai Inc.
845 Stewart Dr., Suite C
Sunnyvale, CA 94085

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #78
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
A 1.5 - 3 amp Trickle charger is useless with any discharged battery in my book.
From what I hear, the Shorai is hot enough out of the box to crank your bike.

Every biker should own a Variable 2/12 & Higher Amp Batt Charger.
I'll use my 2amp for my Shorai before it swap it for the HEAVY Stocker.

You should never hit a motorcycle battery with more than 2 amps... it will warp the plates almost instantly.

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #79
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
... I'm pretty certain I would have no perception of the difference in weight between these two batteries given where they are located on the bike.
The SE Battery is under the seat, unlike the ADVenture.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #80
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Talking Shorai Spun the Big LC8 Twin - FANTASTIC

Installed the Shorai in my 950 SE Today
Had to drill out the Terminals to accept my 6mm bolts.
I just about destroyed the positive terminal, because my new drill bit HUNG & Twisted the terminal
But I straitened it out ok
The Foam made it fit PURFECT

I charged it with my Variable Charger on 2amp setting
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #81
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,029
I have an Odyssey PC310 that's a year old if anyone wants to make me an offer...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #82
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I have an Odyssey PC310 that's a year old if anyone wants to make me an offer...
I'll give you a $10 credit toward a Shorai if you send it in.....
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #83
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Put a new Shorai in the SE the other day. Had it sitting for a month while I waited for the acid battery to properly die. (Waste not want not.)

I would like to see a better way of holding the captive nut in the terminal. Even if it was just a press fit. As it's a loose fit it took forever to line the captive nut up with the holes to get the bolt through to it.

Other than that, I can't believe how quick and easy the bike starts. Don't even need choke. Normally my SE needs to turn over a few times before firing but with the Shorai as soon as I touched the button it was running. Kind of caught me by suprise.

crash n bern screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 08:41 PM
crash n bern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #84
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,634
Charger?!?!?!

Well, crap. From reading this thread it appeared my Battery Tender would work on the Shorai, now I see that's apparently not the case. Now I have to go buy a charger for the most expensive battery ever, which will be at my house this week (Thanks CJ!) and in the 990 when I get home.
I'm scared to go see how much the dedicated chargers cost.....

EDIT: Went to CJ's website but couldn't find a Shorai Charger. Did some surfing and found this:
"We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the new Shorai brand battery tender (part #SHO-BMS01), which will be released in February of 2011. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX."

Same website also said that the battery should be able to sit for several months in cold temps and not need charging. This will be nice, but I hate to find out on the first riding day of spring that it's not true. They did recommend disconnecting the negative cable if it is going to sit a long time.

All kind of irrelevant, as I've already got the battery headed my way.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 07:16 PM Reason: mo facts is good.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #85
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the new Shorai brand battery tender (part #SHO-BMS01), which will be released in February of 2011. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX."
They recommend their own charger.

How shrewd.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #86
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Well, crap. From reading this thread it appeared my Battery Tender would work on the Shorai, now I see that's apparently not the case. Now I have to go buy a charger for the most expensive battery ever, which will be at my house this week (Thanks CJ!) and in the 990 when I get home.
I'm scared to go see how much the dedicated chargers cost.....

EDIT: Went to CJ's website but couldn't find a Shorai Charger. Did some surfing and found this:
"We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the new Shorai brand battery tender (part #SHO-BMS01), which will be released in February of 2011. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX."

Same website also said that the battery should be able to sit for several months in cold temps and not need charging. This will be nice, but I hate to find out on the first riding day of spring that it's not true. They did recommend disconnecting the negative cable if it is going to sit a long time.

All kind of irrelevant, as I've already got the battery headed my way.
1911fan

Don't know where you get that you can't use the Battery Tenders brand chargers, says just above that they are "OK". The President of Shorai USA himself told me they will work just fine to top the batteries off enough to start the bike and will not damage their batteries -- just not as fancy as their own charger, which had not been released when I put up this thread. The bikes own charging system has the higher voltages needed to fully top off the Shorai once the engine is running.

I for one am not going to worry myself with super-fussy details. I ride my bike all the time so will likely never even put a tender on it. Even over the Winter of sub-freezing temps, heated grips, Gerbings heated vest, forgetting my key-on/heated hand grips on for an hour... the baterry has never lost significant voltage or the ability to start right up solid.

1911fan, my 990S sat for a little over 2 weeks at sub-freezing temps, not on a charger, and had no trouble firing the bike right up after the "warmup" procedure, at sub-freezing temps. I have been purposely trying to run down the battery in normal operations, some that would for sure have drained my OEM lead/acid at times, and it hasn't caused any issues with the Shorai. I would be the first to squawk if it didn't live up to performance specs, but so far it has.

If some folks park their bikes for months on end and want the Shorai to be within "best possible" millivolts of some magic numbers all the time, by all means get the fancy Shorai charger when it appears. I'm sure the gadget geeks (like me) probably will, and then never use it...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #87
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
high tech fix for a long term stored motorcycle with a LiFePO4 battery:

1. disconnect the negative lead, drain carb float bowls, drain tanks if longer than 4 months.
2. park bike, walk away
3. come back 12+/- months later, connect negative lead.
3a. put fuel back in it......
4. start motorcycle.

notice that there is more fussing about with the fuel systems than the battery.

LiFePO4 do not self discharge at anywhere near the same rates as LeadAcid, therefore no need to "tend" the battery.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #88
Fuelman
professional lurker

Oddometer: 53
My battery left me stranded last night...
I'm in the market for the Shorai battery but it seems they are out of stock everywhere...
Anybody got one in stock?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #89
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelman View Post
I'm in the market for the Shorai battery but it seems they are out of stock everywhere...
You try http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/. Cj had some last week. I had good buy experience with him - everything as committed.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #90
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelman View Post
Try motomummy.com.
They might need to order but cheaper than most and free shipping.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote