Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Woody's is quality stuff, but don't forget that your rear wheel has a "cush" drive. It's lots smoother on the tires contact patch and the transmission gears. If your new spoked wheel (from wherever) doesn't have a cush drive you may be adding undue wear and stress to the bike that may affect reliability......... Or not... Just something to consider
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
StudentOfTheGame
Sophmore ADV Rider

Oddometer: 44
It's Alive!

OK, big update on this. The OP had to move before Woody's finished the project, but after a few PM's and a call to Woody's, they were convinced they could make it work. I sent in my wheels, and 3 months later (damn, custom hubs take forever to manufacture), I just received the completed wheels this weekend! Cush drive was retained, looks like he modified a KTM hub (with a KTM sprocket and wave-brake rotor).

They are beautiful! I should be able to take the time to test-fit them this week, I will post a photo once everything is on. Straight swap, the wheels have brake rotors and a sprocket already on them, so it is just a matter of pulling the axle, remove the front fender, and stick on the new wheels. Fingers crossed that everything will line up. Wish me luck.
1981 Yamaha XS650 Special II
StudentOfTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
StudentOfTheGame
Sophmore ADV Rider

Talking Test fit complete... Success!

Test fit is complete, and, as you can see from these photos, it was a complete success. Wheels fit beautifully, they actually fit a bit better than the stock wheels (brakes clear the larger rims so they are easier to put on and off). Next step: figure out what to do with the fender, add tires, and then a test ride!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
So Woody's now has custom hubs for the G650X bikes?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
StudentOfTheGame
Sophmore ADV Rider

The XMoto has a completely different wheel than the other X-bikes, it is an Aprilia hub, brakes, and everything else. This is why we can't just swap the XChallenge wheels on. They now have confirmed measurements for an XMoto, however, so if anyone has this bike, a pile of cash, and wants spoked wheels of any size, they should be ready to rock.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 365
Old wheels

What are you going to do with your old wheels. I want to go in the other direction. I am looking for a set of road wheels for road trips and retain my dirt wheels for dirt riding.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
StudentOfTheGame
Sophmore ADV Rider

I'm keeping them and putting some semi-slick road tires on them. This is my sport bike and my dirt bike! When all is done, it will take me about 10 minutes to switch my dirt bike into my track bike.
[EDIT] - and, as mentioned above, the XMoto wheels probably won't work on an XChallenge... completely different axles, hubs, brakes, sprockets, etc.

StudentOfTheGame screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 07:47 PM
Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
theunionjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentOfTheGame View Post
The XMoto has a completely different wheel than the other X-bikes, it is an Aprilia hub, brakes, and everything else. This is why we can't just swap the XChallenge wheels on. They now have confirmed measurements for an XMoto, however, so if anyone has this bike, a pile of cash, and wants spoked wheels of any size, they should be ready to rock.
How big a pile o cash we talking here? Have been dreaming along these lines for a while... Very interesting project, great legwork here!
theunionjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #24
StudentOfTheGame
Sophmore ADV Rider

I hate to quote prices for someone else's business, but you can expect something around $2k, $500, depending on options.

I upgraded a few bits, and got a bunch of extras (KTM Wave rotor and sprocket, color) but I also used some modified KTM and F650 hubs so they didn't have to mill new ones from raw aluminum.

A lot of this was done differently because mine was the first try, and some if it was comped due to the 3 month + wait. By the time I get tires and tubes, I will be looking at very close to $2k.

Unfortunately, I had a rough winter financially, so tires and tubes will probably wait a month or two, and I also want to find someone who can fabricate mounts to raise the front fender a few inches. I like the low fender better than the bill that most dirt-bikes and a lot of adventure bikes have, so I'm trying to keep the look.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
WNDPWR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
$1400

I was quoted a price of $1400 for the bare bones conversion where I kept my brake disc so that I could use the ABS ring on either set of wheels.

This price included Excel wheels and custom machined hubs among other things.

The guys at Woody's were awesome. I sent them my Xmoto wheels to make the measurements but when I had to back out of the deal because of a relocation to Europe they sent me my kit back free of charge.
WNDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
theunionjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the info guys. Beautiful wheels, maybe in time my new baby will have some too

Big plans for the plastics yet? It looks like XCh, g450x, Acerbis turn out pretty well for fenders. still looking for something one off myself...

Will fork guards other than OEM fit over I wonder?
theunionjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
noisytoys
Adventurer

Maybe a F800GS frontfender should hook-up nicely with the fork.
Better airflow to the rad + the lowered Xmoto lamp mask makes it difficult for a raised fender.

the speedo ring in the rear wheel is missing, does it need to be custom made?

Are you using the Xmoto front disc, and the calliper is clearing the spokes? 18/21 rims?

Get a Scheffelmeijer bashplate, he`s got one which is compatible with the tubing already on the bike, and you could jack it up safely!

I want to be able to switch my Xmoto to Xcountry wheels and back so following this thread!

Noisy
noisytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #28
StudentOfTheGame
Sophmore ADV Rider

They're done!

Wheels, with tires, are on the bike!!!

Doesn't appear to be any clearance problems, they seem to fit fine.

To answer a few of the questions:
Plastics: I plan on having extensions fabricated so I can mount the stock fender about 3" higher.
Speedo: They couldn't (didn't) make this ring for the rear, he said it would cause the rear ABS to fail, but the speedo should work off of the front. I stripped the rear axle nut, so I haven't had a chance to test ride yet and confirm. If I wanted to wait another 2-3 months they may have been able to modify the hub to make it work.
Front Disk: Everything is stock sized XMoto parts, it clears with no problem.
Bashplate: Bought a spare XChallenge one from a swap meet, works great.

Honestly, my biggest issue is going to be the kickstand... Yet another part I will need to modify or replace when I switch wheels.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
noisytoys
Adventurer

Nice!

Do think its the rear ABSrotor which sends the speedo signal, but if that is a standard Xch disk used you should be able to put on the (flat) Xchallenge ABS rotor

How may teeth are on the rearsprocket?, was thinking to go for a 49er to compensate the 16 front.

Horrible expensive but it fits the Xmoto headlight is this frontfender

Please do make more detailed pics of the fronthub and brake solutions and the clearance of the calliper and the spokes.

Noisy

noisytoys screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 11:15 AM
noisytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #30
McQuaid
n00b

Oddometer: 2
This project has sold me, im doing the same to my XMoto now, wether my wallet likes it or not, how are you finding it?? bike handling on off road???? please, use detail as i want to know everything
McQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote