Congrats on your trip. Excellent job.
BluWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
Bora
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thumb Nice Ride!

Congrats on the first RR.

I'm a longtime lurker too and hope to share some pics soon.

How does the Ninja perform? Looks like you had a blast!
Bora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #18
KeithTurk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Nice pictures.... how long have you been riding? What made you go there? Where did you find that cool ass Gas station? So on and so forth... tell us a bit about what went on to make this happen....

I'm prodding a bit cause... well it's freaking Winter and I'm to damn cold to go outside and WORK... so I'm here being a candy ass, messing around reading ride reports...... ( works for me by the way )
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
JustPlainDave
Tubeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Nice Trip!

Holy smokes, I can't imagine riding from O-town to Deals on that seat.
Glad you had a great time. Not many places to ride down here as nice as Deals or up 129 in Ga. Don't blame you for heading up that way.
There is some great riding on the other side of the Smokies too.
Too bad they are so far away from us down here.

Current Bike: 2002 BMW R1150GS
Ghosts of motorcycles past: Super Tenere, KLR 650, DRZ-400, KTM 200EXC
JustPlainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,700
Funny
I am about to do my first ride report too. But I was not sure what length of a trip would be worth writing about. I was on the fence, but your report has convinced me to go for it. Nice Report!!
My trip will start from Orlando also. I leave on Jan 27th. I can't wait to leave. Orlando to Key West then north to Jennings then North to Atlanta and then backroads to Wilkes Barre Pa. This should be an interesting week on the road. The Weather alone should keep me on my toes.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
DJGypsy OP
Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post
Nice pictures.... how long have you been riding? What made you go there? Where did you find that cool ass Gas station? So on and so forth... tell us a bit about what went on to make this happen....

I'm prodding a bit cause... well it's freaking Winter and I'm to damn cold to go outside and WORK... so I'm here being a candy ass, messing around reading ride reports...... ( works for me by the way )
i've been riding since october 2008 on my little 2009 ninja 250r. i've got 16.3k miles on it now, and am due for a damned valve relash AGAIN. every 7.5k on that stupid motor. ugh. pisses me off because things like a zx-6r and even a zx-14 on ly require relashes every 16k.

what made this trip possible was the little brown pillow you see strapped down to the seat in some of the pics. don't be fooled: the stock seat on that bike will completely break just about anyone in 2 hours or less.

what made me go to NC? well, a friend of mine moved from orlando to asheville over the summer, he is also an avid wandering motorcyclist. i told him i'd pay him a visit and we'd ride the blue ridge parkway and the dragon, and eat at little local hole in the wall restaurants for local fare. i mean why go all the way to NC for a hooters restaurant when we have them in orlando?

the ride out of FL was exhilarating, just look at the pic of me next to the welcome to GA sign!! blasting out of orlando to daytona on i-4, and then on i-95 to jacksonville. jacksonville was fun to rocket through at 10am, traffic is flowing and the highway winds around a little and goes over bridges and stuff. fun compared to orlando's grid slab.

GA was pretty, but boring.

then i crossed into SC, and i knew i wanted to take a slower route off of the highway just because i could. i am so glad i did! oh man route 321 through SC is beautiful from a scenery aspect. the road itself is arrow straight, but you're totally alone and you go through what feels like ghost town after ghost town. the little blown out gas station is in Olar, SC, at the southeastern intersection of route 321 and 4th street.
View Larger Map">
View Larger Map

there's cotton fields, and what looks like falling down old plantations. absolutely beautiful compared to orlando.

once i got back onto the highway from 321, still in SC, i started to tire. i had trouble focusing on the road, my limbs were bleh and i just wasn't having fun anymore. my neck was tired from the wind blast on my helmet, and even my modified seat was beginning to fail my tailbone. there was a wonderful waffle house that kept me going, i swear that meal saved my life.

then....then i suddenly saw....MOUNTAINS! granted they were in the distance, but they were mountains none the less!

when i crossed the border into NC, it was like driving up a wall that suddenly wasn't there. i had to drop to 5th gear on the little ninja and go full tuck to keep up with traffic! man did it get cold too! the sun was going down, and that didn't help either.

i met up with my buddy in asheville after 10 hours on the road. had food and beer, and i passed out on the couch.

i'll type up the rest later, i do have to get some sleep for work tomorrow
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
DJGypsy OP
Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainDave View Post
Holy smokes, I can't imagine riding from O-town to Deals on that seat.
Glad you had a great time. Not many places to ride down here as nice as Deals or up 129 in Ga. Don't blame you for heading up that way.
There is some great riding on the other side of the Smokies too.
Too bad they are so far away from us down here.
that little brown pillow you see on the seat made that trip possible!! i really want to go up there again and spend more time there. like a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Funny
I am about to do my first ride report too. But I was not sure what length of a trip would be worth writing about. I was on the fence, but your report has convinced me to go for it. Nice Report!!
My trip will start from Orlando also. I leave on Jan 27th. I can't wait to leave. Orlando to Key West then north to Jennings then North to Atlanta and then backroads to Wilkes Barre Pa. This should be an interesting week on the road. The Weather alone should keep me on my toes.
oh man, that sounds like a killer ride! i have family in PA. i look forward to seeing your report! hit me up with a PM when you post it!
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #23
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Will do. I wish I was riding both ways, but I am driving a friend to a cruise with his family. They needed my van. Being an opertunist I am dragging the bike along(and myself). They will drive the van back in a few weeks when they get back. How could I pass up a free one way trip to Florida in January?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #24
pgboyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thanks for sharing

Nice report and looks like you had a great time.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #25
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,458
Nice report. I was curious how you got up there? Did you pass through ATL? I95?. I have been up there with the dirt bike but hauled it. Every trip makes me think about a ride up there with the street bike but would not like to slab it. 75 north would be very not fun with no wind protection.

And are you over the yellow in that Dragon pix?

Well played.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #26
RandyG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Very cool. Congrats on getting out. My son and I are heading there this summer. He will be REALLY bummed if Killboy isn't taking pics. Yours came out great.
us129photos.com do a great job!
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #27
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Good Job! I really love it down there and can't wait till Spring. It's 5* this morning so your RR is killing me!
Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #28
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Congrats on your ride, I commute to the Asheville area often from the Satellite Beach area. If you are looking to upsize your ride, consider the 650 ninja/er6n/versys trio....they are all very capable ST mounts with a 15k valve adjustment interval. You can get em' really cheap to boot.
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #29
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

-6 here. I am packing to leave for Orlando now. This should be a good ride. I can't wait to get to Warner climates.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
-6 here. I am packing to leave for Orlando now. This should be a good ride. I can't wait to get to Warner climates.

It's only 68 degrees warmer down here at the moment, gear accordingly...
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote