User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
melroyal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
1,000 miles in a day on the Yamaha FZ16 in India

While surfing the Internet, I came across the Iron Butt Association of USA.IronButt association has certification for long distance rides called the saddlesore1000.The website address is www.ironbutt.com. The requirement for this ride is to complete 1,610kms(1000 miles) in a period of 24 hrs.I was used to riding the bike for few hundred kilometers.Later I graduated to riding long distances covering different states.I thought to myself that I should up the ante that's when I decided to cover the saddlesore ride.It was my dream to achieve this feat but the difficulties made it a challenge.It's all seems easy calculating on paper to maintain a average speed of 66km per hour.But riding on Indian roads is the toughest part to overcome that to on a 153cc motorcycle.The first thing is selecting a route which allows high speed ride.Then came the task of finding petrol pumps that give you a electronic receipts which shows date,time and location.These are important as the IronButt Association needs these for verification of the ride done.For proof the ride has to have petrol receipts,logs,witness forms ..etc.I took the route of Mumbai to Eklinji and back to Mumbai covering a distance of 1650kms.Eklingji is located in Rajasthan which is at a distance of 15kms north from Udiapur.So the route was Mumbai(Maharashtra),Surat(Gujarat),Udaipur-Eklingji(Rajashtan) and turn back and come back to Mumbai thus completing the 1,610 kms required.

I started out from Sion(Mumbai) on 23rd November'09 at 7:54am at western express highway.The W.E highway connects to the golden quadrilateral which takes me across to Gujurat and Rajasthan.This route goes all the way north direction to Delhi.I topped up my fuel tank on my Yamaha FZ16 took a petrol receipt as proof for documentation and my saddlesore ride has begun.My destination was to reach Eklingji which is ahead of Udaipur and head back to Mumbai.The journey on the Golden Quadrilateral is much better than riding on other highways as it has 4 lane highway route which makes overtaking vehicles and maintaining high speeds possible.The roads are also in a much better condition than the National Highways.I had to be extremly carefull of the trucks plying as I did not want to be run down by any of them.Riding the FZ16 was fun as the engine and gear change was smooth,rest assured the extra wide 140mm tire on the bike provided fantastic grip and stability.The Yamaha FZ16 which is sold in India is sold elsewhere as Yamaha Byson.I reached Surat at 11:35am covering about 284 kms.This was my first stop after my ride begun to fill fuel in my tank. The scenery covered while riding the bike is breathtaking,I thought to myself this is the best part of doing the ride.I finally reached the end border of Gujurat at Himmatnagar at 4:30pm.The only stops I did was at the petrol pumps to refuel and I sipped on red bull to give me energy.I continued my ride entering into Rajasthan.This was my first visit to Rajasthan,it is really a lovely place to visit once at least.Finally I reached Eklingji at 7:26pm and I was glad.Now I just had to make it back to Mumbai in one piece.After leaving Rajasthan to return back to Mumbai I reached Himmatnagar(Gujurat) at 10:28pm.

The roads become dangerous in the night.The bright lights from cars and trucks blind you.I had to clean my headlights reguarly to achieve maxium brightness in the night.The journey in the night becomes a problem as lots of insects start hitting the helmet.I had to stop frequently to clean the helmet visor so that I can have a proper view in the night.I reached Surat(Gujurat) early morning at 3:40am and my god I was dead tired not knowing whether I will be able to make it back to Mumbai.My odometer reading showed that I had covered a distance of 1363 kms.Continuing riding I made it to Dhaisar check naka and to my surprise there was a hell line of trucks lined up.Making my way on the side path I made my way out.I reached Mumbai and I made it to western express highway, I was nearing my time.After much riding I reached a petrol pump but the credit card machine was down .Ahead I was glad to see a ATM machine and I quickly punched in my card and got a time stamp slip for proof.I reached Goregaon(Mumbai) on W.E highway at 7:50am on 24th November'09.I had done it,I had completed 1650 kms in 23hrs and 56mins right in the nick of time.

This was my third SaddleSore attempt that came right.My first unsuccessful attempt of SaddleSore was to Karnantaka state(Belgaum) and back.My second unsuccessful attempt was to Madhya Pradesh state(Indore) and back.It is necessary to check the weather forecast before doing the saddlesore because when I took my trial run in the month of October I got heavy rains at Gujarat state.Even though the monsoon season is from June to September.

Things that I carried during the 24hr trip included bottle of water,jacket,snacks,maps and my first aid kit incase of accident.SaddleSore ride is not difficult, it is the circumstances that make it a tough one.Most important thing is having determination, you may have the best bike but in the end it is the determination by which you succeed.Riding is done by everyone but attempting a SaddleSore is not for the faint hearthed.It's not everyone cup of tea as it does require a lot of endurance to ride nonstop.

After submitting the documents the IBA team does the verification.It does take time for the verfication process to be done but when it all done and your name is on the IBA website it is sure happiness.

-Melroy Alphonso
Attached Images

melroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
melroyal OP
Adventurer

Me on my Yamaha motorcycle
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Big Single
Tejas

Oddometer: 1,805
On a 149cc bike? You're the man!! Not to downplay the achievement of other iron butt riders, but there ought to be a special distinction for accomplishing the ride on a small displacement bike. Way to go!
Big Single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Dood! I've been to India and know that you faced some terrain and road challenges that these superslab riders in the U.S. can't imagine. And on a 153cc bike!

Kudos to you. I would frame that sucker and hang it right up there next to all the other accomplishments!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
^ I agree that has to be one of the greater IronButt achievements.

Congratulations Mel, on the excellent ride.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Blagadán
Kevin

Oddometer: 168
Bravo to you Melroy. Congratulations on achieving the SS1000 certification.

I did it myself back in 2008. I can vouch that it is not an easy thing to achieve.

Well done.
Blagadán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,164
India and single cylinder.

Awesome.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
melroyal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
^ I agree that has to be one of the greater IronButt achievements.

Congratulations Mel, on the excellent ride.
Thanks bush pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blagadán View Post
Bravo to you Melroy. Congratulations on achieving the SS1000 certification.

I did it myself back in 2008. I can vouch that it is not an easy thing to achieve.

Well done.
Thanks Blagadán.Congratulations on your achievement too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
India and single cylinder.

Awesome.
Thanks PolloAsado.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
melroyal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Dood! I've been to India and know that you faced some terrain and road challenges that these superslab riders in the U.S. can't imagine. And on a 153cc bike!

Kudos to you. I would frame that sucker and hang it right up there next to all the other accomplishments!
Thanks basketcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Single View Post
On a 149cc bike? You're the man!! Not to downplay the achievement of other iron butt riders, but there ought to be a special distinction for accomplishing the ride on a small displacement bike. Way to go!
Thanks Big Single.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
Bora
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Congrats!

Congratulations! I would never even think of doing it on my 500 single!!! You deserve a big pat on the back!
Bora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,190
Good effort mate. I've done a 1000 miler on a 250 & it sure took some focus. To do it on a smaller bike with India traffic is quite an acheivement!

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
melroyal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora View Post
Congratulations! I would never even think of doing it on my 500 single!!! You deserve a big pat on the back!
Thanks Bora

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Good effort mate. I've done a 1000 miler on a 250 & it sure took some focus. To do it on a smaller bike with India traffic is quite an acheivement!

Cheers
Clint
Thanks clintnz
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Nearly unbelievable.
Although some years have past, since I visited my indian relatives, I still can't imagine how to cover 1000 miles in 24 hours.
Travelling over the land we only could average about 20 mph (already the speed limit for the common trucks!) with our modern Toyota van.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
woodwelder
The Metal Art Man

Oddometer: 69
Great job!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
Bumpy ahead
Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer: 563
A very challenging ride Melroy,
I only had an experience of 550km's nonstop in 8 hour and 40 minutes. Regarding to conditions by Iron Butt Association, we rarely found a petrol pumps that give us an electronic receipts. Most of them only located on small parts of Java. By the way, your bike is recently launched in Indonesia, it's called Yamaha Byson. Great job Melroy and congrats!