ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Northern Georgia, North Carolina Road Recommendations

Hey there, I am planning a trip to Atlanta to visit my dad. The current plan is to rent a bike and spend a couple of days riding the roads of Northern Georgia and Western North Carolina.

We have talked about riding the Dragon. I am not sure it will live up to the hype, or not. I believe that the road may be great, but the traffic and LEO component may limit my enjoyment.

I like roads with corners and vistas, but not at the same time.

What can you recommend?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 745
The Dragon is overrated (my opinion) and tends to be crowded. There are plenty of great roads in western North Carolina and north Georgia. If you're flying in to Hotlanta and renting a bike there, head north to the Dahlonega, Suches, Brasstown Bald areas and over to Rabun County. Beautiful roads there and north of there in Clay, Graham, Macon, Swain and Jackson counties of North Carolina. Take a good look at some maps and look for Hwy 60, 129, 143, 64, 28, 106, 107, Richard Russell Scenic Highway, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Warwoman Road, etc. Those are just a few. Farther up in NC and over into Tennessee open up additional opportunities.

Post up when you head this way and someone from the area may offer guide services. Have fun!
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will dig out a map and Google Earth. Thanks for the heads up.

AC
Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster View Post
The Dragon is overrated (my opinion) and tends to be crowded. There are plenty of great roads in western North Carolina and north Georgia. If you're flying in to Hotlanta and renting a bike there, head north to the Dahlonega, Suches, Brasstown Bald areas and over to Rabun County. Beautiful roads there and north of there in Clay, Graham, Macon, Swain and Jackson counties of North Carolina. Take a good look at some maps and look for Hwy 60, 129, 143, 64, 28, 106, 107, Richard Russell Scenic Highway, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Warwoman Road, etc. Those are just a few. Farther up in NC and over into Tennessee open up additional opportunities.

Post up when you head this way and someone from the area may offer guide services. Have fun!
Add GA180, Wolf Pen Gap rd to the list

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
Add GA180, Wolf Pen Gap rd to the list
What he said........
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you, and keep them coming.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,088
GA: Hwy 60, Hwy 129 (Blood Mountain), Hwy 348 (Richard Russell Pkwy.), Hwy 197

NC: Hwy 28, Hwy 215 (Parkway Rd.), Hwy 276, Hwy 209, Hwy 208/212, Hwy 19W

Just to name a few, but those should keep you busy.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,369
Man ya'll are making me miss spring time and the mountains.
Fireman1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRider View Post
We have talked about riding the Dragon. I am not sure it will live up to the hype, or not. I believe that the road may be great, but the traffic and LEO component may limit my enjoyment.
The Dragon probably is overrated, but it's worth a visit since you're coming from so far. If you hit it during the week, you can sometimes have it pretty much to yourself. And the roads to get there are fun themselves. Go, get your picture taken, get a T-shirt and have fun.

The Cherohala Skyway is a great ride, too, and you can hit it the same day that you ride the Dragon and a lot of the other roads mentioned.

Basically, its hard to go wrong roadwise in that region. Throw a dart at a map.

When are you looking to visit?

Have fun,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land View Post
The Dragon probably is overrated, but it's worth a visit since you're coming from so far. If you hit it during the week, you can sometimes have it pretty much to yourself. And the roads to get there are fun themselves. Go, get your picture taken, get a T-shirt and have fun.

The Cherohala Skyway is a great ride, too, and you can hit it the same day that you ride the Dragon and a lot of the other roads mentioned.

Basically, its hard to go wrong roadwise in that region. Throw a dart at a map.

When are you looking to visit?

Have fun,
Chris

While the Dragon may be overrated (crowded), it is a fun stretch for sure and if I was in the area, I'd ride it. As Chris mentions above, check out the Cherohala as well.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster View Post
What he said........
180 is my dream road.
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,203
I'll add a few off my list - off the top of my head (some have been already mentioned)

For Sweepers: Hwy 53, 52 East of Ellijay, 136, Roy Road near Ellijay/Blueridge, Aska Rd. and Double Head Gap (some gravel), Newport rd., Dial rd near Blue ridge, Skeenah Gap road, Kelly Mill Rd. in Dawson County

For Twisties (and some sweepers) - hwy 60, 180, 52 West of Ellijay, 75a, 129
NC - 209 out of Hot Springs, Blue Ridge Parkway, 226A out of Little Switzerland

But just as Land said - get a good detailed map on the areas and you can almost pic any twisty road. Most are awesome.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #13
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,479
I think you should just ride the dragon and then head out of the area,all the roads suck and cops are everywhere just ride the dragon get a tshirt and head out!! just my .02

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
As a road the Dragon is not overrated. The surface is perfect and without blemish. The curves are all perfectly banked. There are no cross streets and no driveways. I always wonder, if the local authorities are so worried about excessive speed why they make the road so conducive to it.

On the other hand it can be crowded and the LEO presence can be heavy. Unless you hit it early, on a week day or perferably both. I have ridden it before nine in the morning and had it all to myself. Plan accordingly and have a good time.

Yankee Dog
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Deal's gap is not the only place with heavy LEO presence and traffic. If possible go riding during the week. I you do go during the weekend, be sure to stop at Two Wheels Only in Suches GA. for lunch.

Add Wayah Rd in NC to the ones already listed.

Deals Gap is worth riding if you are in the area anyway but is likely to be crowded and patrolled even during the week,especially in the spring and fall. Bike traffic seems to taper off in the heat of summer. If you come in the summer, it may be really hot in Atlanta, but still be comfortable at the higher elevations.

On second thought, you won't like this area, Most of the roads have curves and scenic vistas at the same time.

klaviator screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 12:16 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote