ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
Viperject
finally dirty

Oddometer: 47
John's Mountain in Villanow, Horn Mountain in Sugar Valley, Fort Mountain in Chatsworth/Ellijay, Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, etc, etc. These are the foothills of the Appalachians. Head wherever you see hills in the distance and the riding will be good. If I stay away from the city centers, I can ride twisties all day long and never be more than an hour from home. If I had a running motorcycle at the moment, I'd lead you on a mini-tour myself...

With the exception of these past few weeks, we typically don't get much snow accumulation down here, but the roads ice up in the winter months, especially at higher elevations. Something to consider depending on when you plan to visit. It takes a while for the residual sand to wash out of corners, too.
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Thanks again for the ideas. I have been spending hours looking at maps, plotting routes, and "driving" the roads on Google Earth.

I am planning on March 7th to start riding. I have an ST1300 rented for 5 days. Not enough to ride them all, but we should knock out 1,500 miles worth.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #18
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
It will most likely still be very cold in early march, especially in the higher elevations. Snow and ice are quite possible even in April. You may luck out on the weather but I would have a plan B. Bring warm riding gear.
If you do luck out with the weather you will have the roads mostly to yourself.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #19
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
It will most likely still be very cold in early march, especially in the higher elevations. Snow and ice are quite possible even in April. You may luck out on the weather but I would have a plan B. Bring warm riding gear.
If you do luck out with the weather you will have the roads mostly to yourself.
No worries on the gear. You have to have to have that type of gear in Idaho for every month but July. We have elevations of 9,000+ and 50 degree temperature swings.

As for an alternate plan, that is good advice - any suggestions for roads South of Atlanta?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates View Post
I think you should just ride the dragon and then head out of the area,all the roads suck and cops are everywhere just ride the dragon get a tshirt and head out!! just my .02
Coates - I hope he has a great time riding down here, then invites us all to his neck of the woods! Check out his backyard!

mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRider View Post
No worries on the gear. You have to have to have that type of gear in Idaho for every month but July. We have elevations of 9,000+ and 50 degree temperature swings.

As for an alternate plan, that is good advice - any suggestions for roads South of Atlanta?
I would not head south. If you are interested in seeing the atlantic ocean and beaches you could head east. I would head west into Alabama and maybe ride the Natchez trace parkway in Mississippi & TN. Or, depending on weather, you might be able to head north but skip the higher elevation roads.

You may also luck out and have great weather. The weather here is very unpredictable.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
Thundermug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
As for the Dragon, it IS a tourist trap, but ya gotsta do it and get the T-shirt. It's like going to Ron Jons in Cocoa Beach, Fl.

There are other roads that are more fun.

276 between the BRP and brevard. then go south on 64 a couple of miles and turn right on parkway road. Tak it all the way to 276 and turn right, go back to the BRP.

North of Mt. Mitchell is 80. Go towards Marion. The 1st thing you will see is a billboard warning people of the next 5 miles....

Don't forget to scoot up the hill to Mt. Mitchell!

Oh yes... go see Grandfather mountain and ride up that hill too!

There are some other roads that are more fun than the Dragon, but I can't give them all away!

I can't wait till this August..I'll be up there for a week!
Thundermug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to all of you.

As for my back yard, I only ride on pavement, for now.

If you want the low down on the dirt, e-mail inmate byways, Tony seems to know them all.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #24
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,169
Here's a 2 day loop out of ATL. You could use it as a framework, expand based on time and others you want to see. A number of these roads previously mentioned, some not. As others have noted, be ready for anything weather wise. Our biggest snow (prior to a couple of weeks ago - and that was really ice) was midish March back in early 90's. Be extremely gravel aware - there will still be plenty in the roadways.

Highly recommend the Dragon. It's a great road. You may have to pass a parade or two but traffic will be lighter this time of year. No need to motogp throttle to enjoy this road (LEO's do appear from time to time, watch for warning from oncoming motorists, most are courteous.) 318 curves in 11 miles does not disappoint. If you follow this loop, you will hit if morning of day 2.

I'd suggest passing on camp at Baslam - it's too high (probably closed in winter anyway.) Perfect escape in August but will freeze your willie off in early March. Drop down to 441 and camp either south or north of Smokies depending on time of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Saw some dogs out in the yard playing this afternoon - on 60 about 1:30. Recognize this scoot? K1200s Dahlonega to Dawsonville? Ride with you anytime, like your driving

Finally got this in the mail - took 10 months (4 xtra cause I thought I was in queue - user error - not them.)

And seeing as how old saw bones and I got some unfinished biz on 9/17 (gonna fuse metatarsal of left big toe) figured I'd better see if I got my money's worth.

Posted this route a month ago but when I rode it 129 was weathered out (scratch 143 too) and I wanted to see how the e would do dressed as sm. Answer: It was surgical and no one will ever confuse me with the Doctor.

North on 400 to Dahlonega
North on 19/ 60
West on 60 Suches
East on 180
East on 348 Helen
North on 17 / 75 Hiawassee
North on 75 / 175 Murphy
East on 64 Franklin
North on Wayah Rd
East on Otter Creek Rd / Tellico Road
North on 28
North on 19 / 74
West on BRP
North on Heintooga Ridge to Baslam Campground

Sun
BRP West to 441
North on 441
West on Little River Rd / Old Hwy 73
North on E Lamar Alexander Pkwy / 321 / 73
South on Foothills Parkway
South on 129
West on Joyce Kilmer Rd (County 1127)
West on 143 / 165 to Tellico Plains
West on 165
South on 68 to Copperhill
South on 60 to Suches
South on 400 to Atlanta

So here are the stats for those who were interested:

Day 1

Day 2 (cumulative)

Pro photo fun from 129:

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #25
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Again, thanks. I woke up to another 3" of snow this morning. At this rate my first ride from home will be after I get back from Atlanta.

After much debate, route planning, and contemplation we have decided to stay near Robbinsville, NC and use the lodge as a base camp. The other option was a tour of the area.

Keep the rubber side down.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
CyberGeezer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
IDRiders' dad here. He found out I was a member of this board but had never posted and complained about it. Kids these days. So, son, here we go... He just got home today, safe and sound. We had a great time in the Robbinsville area. Rode there on Monday. Tuesday we did the 'Devils Triangle', 129 through the Dragon, West to Tellico Plains, southeast via the Cherohala Trail. Overcast and cold. Lunch and a short nap. Then we took 129 to 28 to 143 back to Robbinsville. We both agreed that that was a far better road combo. Twists and sweepers, like the Cherohala. Wednesday it was raining all morning and let up about 14:00. Now what? We could ride up to the beginning of the Dragon and come back. We get there and I note that my Goldwing has 6998 miles on it. He says 'what better place to turn 7K than on the Dragon.' 'Why not, let's go' I say. So up we go to the lookout, It's like 10 miles. We had the road to ourselves. Neat!!! You guys all need to cheer him up a bit. I beat his time up by 2 minutes and the time down by 5 minutes!! No, Ofiicer, I did not exceed the speed limit at any time. Honest. That scraping sound you heard? I was gnashing my teeth. My Nav/WX/Traffic system tells me that the area will get snow on Thursday night, so we book for Atlanta the long way on Thursday. US 19 north of Dahlonega was a surprise and an absolute hoot! Friday we thank our most excellent travel planner, my wife, by taking her for a ride to Alabama and back. This also gives IDRider 4 more states he can chalk up. All in all, we had a most excellent time. I always enjoy my son and doing things with him. Love ya IDRider. Time for my meds so I can keep up.
CyberGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
IDRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup, the riding was great. The company as pretty good too.

The dragin was fun, but there are just so many good roads out there. I definitely have many good reasons to return.