ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Beast Rider OP
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 1,400
New add to the fleet

So I was thinking of adding a new bike to the stable.....never have ridden one of these. Few questions I have....anybody here have experience with these....what about local dealers....what about current quality, dependability, etc. I have gone thru a lot of info on Urals, including Mr Cobbs stuff on the hack forum.....but would be interested on your thoughts....thx guys. By the way I live in Virginia about 60 miles South of DC.

Beast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 740
Don't really have any info to offer but I want one soooooooo bad!
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,056
u need to talk to gailic dog, he's got one and i think he did part of tat on it

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Rider View Post
So I was thinking of adding a new bike to the stable.....never have ridden one of these. Few questions I have....anybody here have experience with these....what about local dealers....what about current quality, dependability, etc. I have gone thru a lot of info on Urals, including Mr Cobbs stuff on the hack forum.....but would be interested on your thoughts....thx guys. By the way I live in Virginia about 60 miles South of DC.

A friend of mine in Luray had one a couple of years ago. Used it to commute to work. Unfortunately, his had a cylinder issue and started using a lot of oil around the 5000 mile mark. He had the top end redone, then sold it.

I rode his for about a mile out his long, gravel, access road. Kinda kewl - even tho' it sounded and rode like a, well a 40's vintage Russian bike.

Even with the issues he had, I'd still like to have one just for the fun factor.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,672
I have thought about one as well but have little time to give it all the "lovin" it needs to keep everything going. The newer ones are much more dependable than the older ones and by newer I mean a year or two old. The warranty is good on the new models and with the failures I have read about URAL seems to have stood behind them well and the owners pleased with the repairs. However when you go into a purchase with the expectations of 1940's technology, I think the bar is set a little lower.

After trolling around for a couple of years I found a Sportster/Liberty hack as a starter rig and have been pleased with everything but it's off road capability. It has peaked my interest in hacks and I would love to find an off road rig. I am probably too cheap to do a ground up build or spend $15K on a new URAL so I am stuck. Who knows what the future will bring. I am always looking for something different in a bike but without the drama of something really exotic. Brakes, sprockets, chains, fork seals, and oil changes are pretty much all I want to get into. The rest of the my time I want to spend on the bike, so no my Harley won't see a polishing cloth.

So much comes down to riding style and how much you love to work on bikes. I find that my rig is happiest around the same speed as the cages on secondary roads so it has become my favorite for commuting and running errands. That and you don't have to worry about bike lean, side stand placement etc.

The best advise I can offer is analyze what type of riding you do and see if the bike will fit your style. If you like exploring then your style is closer to a URAL than someone that is into fast bikes and bling.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Rider View Post

I have a 2007 Ural Tourist that I bought used. It had 6k miles on it. The 1st owner who also lives in Virginia bought the bike online from these folks: Ural Northwest. The price was good and the bike was delivered to his door, set-up, and checked out and ready to ride.

There is a 'fun-factor' for sure. It's not a bike for commuting on the interstate. Top speed is around 65. For country roads, taking the grand kid, and the dogs for rides it's great. It takes about 15 minutes to warm up. I have a love hate relationship with my Ural. The Dealers I know about are Velocity in Richmond and Steelhorse Classics in Williamsburg, VA

The Ural is rugged. About the only plastic parts are the turn signal lenses. I changed the tractor seats to a custom seat made by Rich Maund of Chesapeake VA (seat is called the 'Road Sofa') and I added a reverse shifter and linkage sold by Raceway Services

If you are ever in the New Kent VA area you are welcome to take my Ural for a good long spin to see if its the ride for you.

cheers,

j
PS The two-wheel drive model may be an entirely different animal since it has more off-road capability.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
They are fun, but its definitely a love/hate relationship.

Reliability has gotten better every year. I have had a few small issues with mine, all covered quickly with the warranty. My bud's 09's has pretty much had zero issues in over 10000km.

Ride before you buy. Its a completely different beast than a regular bike. You will either love it or it will scare the shit out of you. I love riding mine most days.

If its above 45*F it only takes about 5 min to warm up, if that. below 45 it takes a couple of minutes longer. They are hard on tires and drink gas.

love/hate-it just depends on what mood i am in i guess. My wife absolutely loves it, she actually talked me into buying it.

d by Rider_wv, on Flickr

pp by Rider_wv, on Flickr

Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,672
And those are exactly the pictures/reasons I want one too. ^^

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Beast Rider OP
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 1,400
Thanks guys for your thoughts and advice....everyone seems to have that "Love/Hate" relationship with the Ural....also seems like evryones wife loves the bike.....I know mine is trying to convince me to get one. Also seems as though each new year they get a little better in terms of dependability....must be listening to their customers which is a good sign.
Looks like I would also need to get even better at changing tires more often, and buy another spare fuel can..

Thanks again for your input...very helpful.
Beast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Yes you need a spare fuel can or two. Fuel mileage can and will vary a lot depending on climate, elevation, load and riding style. I have hit reserve at 140km and at 210km so its just peace of mind to carry a couple of extra gallons.

We mainly ride the rural back roads and in the past few years a LOT of the gas stations in little towns have been closing their doors. There are times were we are on a planned "route" and it might be 15 miles to the nearest gas station. Well that doesnt sound like much, but you just blew 30 miles(48km) to go get gas and back to your route so thats easily a gallon on the ural. Assuming a safe 180km(111miles) in a tank and you just blew 25% of your fuel to get fuel. Basically you spend most of the ride chasing gas stations. Shoot since two local gas stations closed near me, its 20 miles round trip to the south to get gas and 36 miles round trip to the north.

Each year IMZ fine tunes the urals a little more. They closely track the "issues" each year and try to eliminate or reduce those problems. They are very simple to work on and the warranty is excellent.

check out the forums over at www.sovietsteeds.com for all things ural.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Yes my wife absolutely loves it. She is more relaxed and comfortable. we travel slower so her anxiety goes down. She also isnt staring at the back of my helmet so she feels like she is on her own journey as well. She can move around more, take a nap, eat a snack, take pictures easier.

I still think the main reaso is because we have to go slower.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
ruffshod67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post

man that is a sweeet rig I've thought of building a sportster rig off and on over the years.I have the other ural in Rider WV pics I love mine some times I want something else but thats just me.Its good off road till it gets steep & rough it could use a little lower gearing. If you get any sidecar rig read up on driving one and take your time while learning.As a friend of mine told me its a contraption do you think you can drive a contraption?
ruffshod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffshod67 View Post
man that is a sweeet rig I've thought of building a sportster rig off and on over the years.I have the other ural in Rider WV pics I love mine some times I want something else but thats just me.Its good off road till it gets steep & rough it could use a little lower gearing. If you get any sidecar rig read up on driving one and take your time while learning.As a friend of mine told me its a contraption do you think you can drive a contraption?

arent you suppose to be working HAHAHAH Dont tell me you got snowed out
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
ruffshod67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
arent you suppose to be working HAHAHAH Dont tell me you got snowed out
I've not got snowed out today I'm just on a break inbetween barns.I should've went to collage then I could be on here all day in the warm
ruffshod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,038
I want a ural so bad.... Seems like they wouldn't be the most reliable compared to what we a used to these days but who cares. While I was trying to sell my last dirt bike a guy offered this hack on trade and I couldn't pass it up. It has been a blast to play with, allbeit every odd to ride. The Triumph has been super reliable, smooth, and modern but of course misses that Ural flare. Bottom line go for it, however I personally wouldn't rely on one to be my sole adventure touring bike. On the other hand for a weekend runner and all weather commuter you couldn't ask for a better set-up then a hack!

I Love shamelessly showing this photo
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote