Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #31
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
You are right, just checked the web:

But I am 100% sure there are maps available for F800GS (for low octane...)
Yes... the F800GS can be remapped!
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #32
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I think they had that done before they left...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #33
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 780
Cry

Correct. We took delivery of the bikes with the lower octane mapping. We've been putting in 87 ever since.

Anyways, we've just spent the day at BMW in Lima. They looked at Alberto's bike (since it was the sickest) and the good news is it wasn't bad fuel, the bad news is it wasn't bad fuel and is most likely a more serious issue.

At least we made it out of the highlands and to a BMW dealer in Lima without any major issues. Props to the dealer in Lima. They have been super helpful all day. Their one mechanic went straight to work on our bikes and was troubleshooting all day. Our bikes are now in their capable hands and we are playing the waiting game. The true cause of the problem is still unknown

The unlikely seems to have happened. a mechanical failure on both bikes at around the same time (different mileage, same riding conditions).

We'll keep you posted!
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,806
Same problem, at the same time, on two separate bikes? This one would go down in the history books......

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #35
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Tell me about it.

Changed the fuel. Changed the oil.. no change. What else is common between the 2 bikes that's changed recently?

Naomi
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #36
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Well, in all fairness they have been ridden side by side, in the same environment for quite a few miles now. Outside influences affecting one would be quite likely to have had the same effect on the other...

Pinging, low power, stalling. I'd be looking into valve & ignition timing, and lean running as the most likely suspects. Excessively high operating temps can also have that result somtimes, but I'd think you'd have noticed it was overheating. A plugged exhaust doesn't usually cause strange engine noises, but also matches your other symptoms.

I hope they sort it out for you guys so you can get back on the road, I've really been enjoying the blog, and the photots!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #37
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Thumbs down surprising, disappointing, upsetting

Just got back from Gildermeister (BMW dealer in Lima) and got some bad news to share. In brief, my bike has broken piston rings and various engine components are unusually worn-out (gaskets, metal rings, etc, too many to remember ). Naomi's bike is being dissected and so far they are finding similar issues.

They don't know what exactly could have caused such a catastrophic failure on BOTH bikes. Bad gas can't do such damage according to some of the BMW people here, others think it can. If you ask me, as an engineer I don't think bad gas can cause such failure. All the data is being forwarded to BMW in Germany and they are 'analyzing' the data, photos, reports to know what to do with the bikes (what parts to replace, or even if we should get new engines). It is still being decided if this is covered under warranty (WE HOPE!) or not...

Another possible cause of this mess is bad lubrication (either very low engine oil levels, which is not the case as I checked the oil level regularly, a defective oil pump or just poor quality oil (last time we changed the oil was at the BMW dealer Ruta40 in Medellin, Colombia and they use ELF MOTO 4HP ECO 10w40).

Or just simply a factory defect on both bikes (both bikes were bought brand new and were ordered at the same time; same batch)

Bottom line, we're not going anywhere for at least 4 weeks. And if this is not covered under warranty (which would be even more surprising) we wouldn't have the economic means to continue our travels.

Well.... what can I say... If I ever thought something was going to prevent us from continuing our trip was my herniated discs/compressed spinal cord but not our brand new 2010 BMW F800GS...

Surprising, disappointing, upsetting

Alberto

Some pictures for illustration:

If you've ever seen a piston head/rings it shouldn't look like this one

Part of the oil-pump, see the marks? not good

Piston from my Gringa

bits and pieces being analyzed

Is the dark colour normal? mmmmmm...

No heart, no life.

I literary almost cry when i saw her today

It's Nomi's bike turn to be opened up

betitolara screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 11:04 AM
Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,335
oh man, my heart goes out to you guys for sure. Hope the can identify the cause, I'm sure we'd all like to know.
Dansrc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #39
Baiazid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
These kind of problems can be from
  • oil pump
  • oil itself (low oil viscosity for high outside temperature, canola oil re-branded as Castrol ...)
  • semi-clogged oil canal/hose
  • low level of oil (not applicable because you checked the level)
Hope to be fixed under warranty!
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #40
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
As it happened to both bikes at the same time I suspect that "oils aint oils". Either that or a batch of defective oil pumps!

If this is the case (the oil) you might have a problem with your warranty ... be very nice to BMW and cross your fingers! (they can occassionlly be very good to their customers). Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #41
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
If this is the case (the oil) you might have a problem with your warranty ... be very nice to BMW and cross your fingers! (they can occassionlly be very good to their customers). Good luck!
I don't see how this could be a problem b/c the last oil change was done at a BMW dealer, before that I changed the oil on both bikes with the recommended (by BMW) castrol oil and OEM BMW oil filters. We shall see I guess.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #42
Maniac Mechanic
Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer: 40
Talking

If it was a cylinder lubrication issue the piston skirt and cylinder would be scored.
Maniac Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #43
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
I don't see how this could be a problem b/c the last oil change was done at a BMW dealer, before that I changed the oil on both bikes with the recommended (by BMW) castrol oil and OEM BMW oil filters. We shall see I guess.

No problem then!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #44
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
ouch!
I think its plausable that this is the result of severe detonation. Its hard to tell from the pics though. How does the top and top edge of the piston look?
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #45
Maniac Mechanic
Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer: 40
Talking

As far as waiting 4 weeks for parts from Germany.

If you are willing to do the legwork and I'm pretty sure you now have the time, you could get the part number's and call/ email every BMW dealer between Lima and Vancouver to see if any have the necessary piece's in stock but closer to you. At least you'll be able to put shipping of the parts under your control instead of the factory.

Just remember that excluding customs, everything in the world is no more than 2 days away from any major airport if you're willing to pay the shipping costs.

That being said there are far worse places to be broke down.
Maniac Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote