Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #76
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,131
The FIRST picture of "Naomi's Piston#2" on page four looks kinda hosed up in the 12:00 region to me ... what do you guys think?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #77
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Doesn't your SuperTenere run on high octane premium fuel? What happens if someone sells you a low grade gasoline / diesel fuel mix and your engine fails... do you expect Yamaha to cover it? They won't. [/COLOR]
Are you kidding me Gadget Boy? My S10 runs on 94 octaine or higher, can you imagine! The most I can buy here is 91, which is 87oct on a good day. This definitely got my attention. According to this I am a meltdown waiting to happen.

My personal point is this. Yamaha sold me a bike which is warranted for 12 months for manufacturing defects. I have no road side assist, I have no extended warranty (can’t even buy it if I wanted to) I have no empty promises. If my pistons melt due to the low octaine rating we have in Mexico and because Yamaha sold me a bike which exceeds available fuel octaine ratings in Mexico damages of that kind would be covered, as told to me today by Yamahas manager. (I called him this morning due to this issue, as well as BMW Mexico over my F650gsT, I have vested interest in this). If this happens to my S10 54 weeks after my purchase I am, of course, screwed.

Now get this: My F650gsT which was serviced by my dealer at only 8,200km for the 10,000km service did not set the tension on the clutch correctly and the gears completely stripped about 80km later. I knew the gears stripped due to the dealership, the dealership knew, the mechanic knew (great guy btw, he could not openly admit it in fear of losing his job and I can’t blame him. He services my bike on the spot every time and yes he messed up, but we all do at times, I still like the guy) the shop Manager knew etc. They called headquarters in Mexico City to explain that the gears were a manufacturing defect and they still denied the parts/labor under warranty (Headquarters in D.F., not Cancun BMW). $500usd later I was absolutely disappointed in BMW's image.

You see, my point is that BMW will promise one overextended services which should work in our favor as BMW owners. Yamaha on the other hand told me "Here is your S10. Now deal with it, you are on your own!" and I did. If it breaks down I will not feel taken, they promised me nothing.

The reason why I have an S10 is because of how they handled my gears. It was only $500us to me, but it cost them a new r1,200gs/gsa to them, I would be riding a GSA now if it were not for their "too bad, so sad" attitude.

At any rate, the above is my story, truly sorry for the highjack. But I will back these guys up until I am blue in the face. Their breakdown is totally obscure, BMW can afford a couple of pistons and some additional parts to get them on their way, regardless of recession.

I now add pure Octaine in my tank every time I fill up with 91oct due to their report. I don't just read ADV, I listen to it. I can only hope BMW will listen as well.

I will await BMW's answer to my queries in Mexico City, as well as BMW Germany response with what they are planning to do with their two bikes in Lima. It will be interesting.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #78
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
+1 on both counts from me (automotive engineer who works in developing engines and knock control systems)

I've seen lots of detonation damage in the past all of which can be explained by understanding the process but I can't explain that one which tells me it's not detonation.
+1 again, detonation first off usually results in a hole in the piston crown not further down the rings lands leaving the top almost alone, makes no sense.

Also these bikes are supposedly built for this and I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to get some bad gas but not 24000 km worth!!!.

Further, I actually struggle that they had enough bad fuel continually to rinse the motors so early on, I can't help but think their "professional remapping" they have paid for may not be that professional, if the ign timing has been set wrong that will toast things ... maybe it is the original stealership at fault here.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #79
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo2 View Post
Are you kidding me Gadget Boy? My S10 runs on 94 octaine or higher, can you imagine! The most I can buy here is 91, which is 87oct on a good day. This definitely got my attention. According to this I am a meltdown waiting to happen.

My personal point is this. Yamaha sold me a bike which is warranted for 12 months for manufacturing defects. I have no road side assist, I have no extended warranty (can’t even buy it if I wanted to) I have no empty promises. If my pistons melt due to the low octaine rating we have in Mexico and because Yamaha sold me a bike which exceeds available fuel octaine ratings in Mexico damages of that kind would be covered, as told to me today by Yamahas manager. (I called him this morning due to this issue, as well as BMW Mexico over my F650gsT, I have vested interest in this). If this happens to my S10 54 weeks after my purchase I am, of course, screwed.

Now get this: My F650gsT which was serviced by my dealer at only 8,200km for the 10,000km service did not set the tension on the clutch correctly and the gears completely stripped about 80km later. I knew the gears stripped due to the dealership, the dealership knew, the mechanic knew (great guy btw, he could not openly admit it in fear of losing his job and I can’t blame him. He services my bike on the spot every time and yes he messed up, but we all do at times, I still like the guy) the shop Manager knew etc. They called headquarters in Mexico City to explain that the gears were a manufacturing defect and they still denied the parts/labor under warranty (Headquarters in D.F., not Cancun BMW). $500usd later I was absolutely disappointed in BMW's image.

You see, my point is that BMW will promise one overextended services which should work in our favor as BMW owners. Yamaha on the other hand told me "Here is your S10. Now deal with it, you are on your own!" and I did. If it breaks down I will not feel taken, they promised me nothing.

The reason why I have an S10 is because of how they handled my gears. It was only $500us to me, but it cost them a new r1,200gs/gsa to them, I would be riding a GSA now if it were not for their "too bad, so sad" attitude.

At any rate, the above is my story, truly sorry for the highjack. But I will back these guys up until I am blue in the face. Their breakdown is totally obscure, BMW can afford a couple of pistons and some additional parts to get them on their way, regardless of recession.

I now add pure Octaine in my tank every time I fill up with 91oct due to their report. I don't just read ADV, I listen to it. I can only hope BMW will listen as well.

I will await BMW's answer to my queries in Mexico City, as well as BMW Germany response with what they are planning to do with their two bikes in Lima. It will be interesting.
Matteo,
You may be fine with the 91 octane. Check the method for calculating for the required 94 level on your manual and check the method for the available 91 octane at the gas station. They may be the same or very close.
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #80
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Matteo,
You may be fine with the 91 octane. Check the method for calculating for the required 94 level on your manual and check the method for the available 91 octane at the gas station. They may be the same or very close.
Lion
Thanks, I sure hope you are correct. I will stand corrected, the S10- is 95oct or higher! Even worse!

The manual:
Your Yamaha engine has been designed
to use premium unleaded gasoline
with a research octane number of
95 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs,
use a gasoline of a different
brand. Use of unleaded fuel will extend
spark plug life and reduce maintenance
costs.

They say nothing over my engine melting.

The manager at Yamaha said that Japan's ratings of 96RON are basically what we in North America call 91AKI. At the same rate these guys were pumping 91oct and 96oct (I think as high as 96AKI) throughout their adventure and check their engine out. It's crazy, I thing they are handling the whole thing better than I am.

I see a trend developing........

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #81
indycar
I can get you a toe

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
I certainly hope this situation isn't going to be resolved by BMW the way I think it's going to be handled.

The F800GS is terribly close to falling off my short list of next bike purchase at this rate.

It's dropped off my list. Too many issues with this bike and typical BMW head in the sand attirude.

Guys, I'm hoping for the best for you! At least it's warm there
indycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #82
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
The FIRST picture of "Naomi's Piston#2" on page four looks kinda hosed up in the 12:00 region to me ... what do you guys think?
Just carbon buildup I think...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #83
Baiazid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I have 3 n00b questions:

1. Did someone sent this link to BMW Germany?

2. They know people like me (in 3 month I intend to buy one) are watching how they handle this peculiar situation and judge to remain a customer or not ...?

3. Was the mapping realized to the bike? (I know they said was done. I am asking if REALLY was done)
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #84
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
I have 3 n00b questions:

1. Did someone sent this link to BMW Germany?

2. They know people like me (in 3 month I intend to buy one) are watching how they handle this peculiar situation and judge to remain a customer or not ...?

3. Was the mapping realized to the bike? (I know they said was done. I am asking if REALLY was done)
Fair questions, here 'my' answers (please answer to your leisure )
1.- If any of you knows someone that works for BMW in Germany or any BMW Motorrad employee with an 'important/influential' position, please kindly send them a link to this thread.

2. I'm sure you're not the only one waiting to see the end of this saga.

3. I asked the Lima dealer if they could check what fuel mapping is on both bikes but, disappointingly, they couldn't do it b/c the data cable that connects the bike to the computer is fried (being fried for the last 3 weeks and waiting for parts ...) So there you go.... crazy eh?
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #85
Baiazid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post

3. I asked the Lima dealer if they could check what fuel mapping is on both bikes but, disappointingly, they couldn't do it b/c the data cable that connects the bike to the computer is fried (being fried for the last 3 weeks and waiting for parts ...) So there you go.... crazy eh?
OMG!!!

If things don't go as expected for you, set up a paypal account and I am sure many guys will help you to get the parts.

Now about the fried cable: to fry a cable you need to have huge current (to burn the insulation ... etc). But because is a data cable, on the way to CPU you might find many other small electronic components (that deals with data transfer: splitting, addressing, ... ). I suspect one of those or cpu data-port (which should have some optocouplers to prevent big damage).
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #86
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara;15071692[COLOR=White
If any of you knows someone that works for BMW in Germany or any BMW Motorrad employee with an 'important/influential' position, please kindly send them a link to this thread.[/COLOR]
Sorry to read about your present woes and hope that this saga has a happy ending.

You might like to consider sending an email to motorrad at bmw.de specifically stating URGENT and for the attention of Norbert Reithofer, Frank-Peter Arndt, Harald Krüger, Herbert Diess, Klaus Draeger, Friedrich Eichiner and Ian Robertson. The afore-named are the 'Board of Management'. Whilst I doubt that you'll receive a reply from either named directly, in the interests of good customer service your enquiry should be delegated down to a responsible person. Alternatively, BMW HQ in Munich can be reached by telephoning 0049-180-500-1972

AlanI screwed with this post 01-30-2011 at 11:42 PM
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 AM   #87
TheJoker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
How about going back to the place that sold the fuel? Surely if you buy fuel it should be up to some sort of standard so you can rely on it?!
TheJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 AM   #88
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
What about this recall notice from BMW regarding the charcoal cannister?

Canadian bikes don't come with a cannister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo2 View Post

Now get this: My F650gsT which was serviced by my dealer at only 8,200km for the 10,000km service did not set the tension on the clutch correctly and the gears completely stripped about 80km later. I knew the gears stripped due to the dealership, the dealership knew, the mechanic knew (great guy btw, he could not openly admit it in fear of losing his job and I can’t blame him. He services my bike on the spot every time and yes he messed up, but we all do at times, I still like the guy) the shop Manager knew etc.
You're blaming the manufacturer for the mechanic's fault? And expect the manufacturer to pay for the dealer's mistake? You should be pissed at your dealer for not covering the damage that they caused to your bike. This is no different than if your bike had fallen off the work bench and was damaged, and then the dealer asks bmw for a warranty fix. Your dealer should have covered the damage to your clutch out of his pocket since it's his mechanic that caused it.

anyway, you want to discuss this further, send me a PM so as not to hijack this thread any further.

GB screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 05:27 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #89
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
800GS on bad gas

Interesting thread. The only evidence, which is the pictures and the report of two identical bikes running poorly after a fill up at the same station points to bad fuel. There is no evidence yet that the remap wasn't done. There is no evidence that the problem would not have occurred with a remap. There is no evidence that any other brand of fuel injected bike would have faired any better. The lesson I'm taking away from this is that when the bike is running very poorly you have to stop and solve the problem. I too would have a tendency to push on, especially if you have a schedule or boat to catch. But then you take your chances. The other lesson is that perhaps a carbed bike would be a better choice. Drain the fuel tank, clean the carbs and off you go. I don't know how many times someone I know has ignored a warning light or noise and kept driving their vehicle with dire consequences. One of those people is married to me. I don't get why everyone is slagging BMW. Their product was fed the bad juice and broke as a result. That is not a warranty issue. If they do nothing that is fair. If they fix it or split the cost that is exceptional. Maybe I'm missing something here? I feel for our intrepid adventurers, I've had bike problems on a long trip (closer to home) and it really is a downer. I wish you both all the best in getting this resolved.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #90
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
'Eyebrows just went up' Fried cable? And the rest of the wiring? What's up with that? Both bikes, or just yours? Some serious shyte happening here.