Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #91
indycar
I can get you a toe

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
'Eyebrows just went up' Fried cable? And the rest of the wiring? What's up with that? Both bikes, or just yours? Some serious shyte happening here.
I think the "fried" cable is a diagnostic cable that tethers the bike to the computer. I'm more inclined to think the descriptor 'fried cable' is more meant as a euphemism for a cable problem, as opposed to an over-current issue that literally fried the cable.
indycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #92
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycar View Post
I think the "fried" cable is a diagnostic cable that tethers the bike to the computer. I'm more inclined to think the descriptor 'fried cable' is more meant as a euphemism for a cable problem, as opposed to an over-current issue that literally fried the cable.
You got it right amigo
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #93
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 541
[QUOTE=Matteo2;15069953][COLOR=silver][COLOR=silver]Now get this: My F650gsT which was serviced by my dealer at only 8,200km for the 10,000km service did not set the tension on the clutch correctly and the gears completely stripped about 80km later. I knew the gears stripped due to the dealership, the dealership knew, the mechanic knew (great guy btw, he could not openly admit it in fear of losing his job and I can’t blame him. He services my bike on the spot every time and yes he messed up, but we all do at times, I still like the guy) the shop Manager knew etc. They called headquarters in Mexico City to explain that the gears were a manufacturing defect and they still denied the parts/labor under warranty (Headquarters in D.F., not Cancun BMW). $500usd later I was absolutely disappointed in BMW's image.

Point of interest here regarding F800GS/F650GS clutches....

As I had decided to sell my 09 F800GS and I was at the 10000K junction, I did an oil/filter service and checked things over some before taking it to my BMW dealer to erase the service required display. I noticed there seemed to be virtually no clutch adjustment left. The dealer concurred and a clutch was ordered up under warranty, no questions asked. There just happened to be another F800GS that these folks had purchased used from another dealer that had been taken it in on trade and guess what? yes, @6000K, it too needed a new clutch. Hmmm! Both of these bikes may have been ridden lightly off highway but had spent 90% of thier brief lives to this point on asphalt. Something was clearly wrong?

Sorry for the highjack!

Hope everything works out with your F800GS's.

Cheers...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #94
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Their product was fed the bad juice and broke as a result
That right there is a mere assumption. We have no proof of this. I wish we did to move on and go from there.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #95
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Assumption

You are right. Didn't mean to make it sound like that. Just that if it was bad gas it wouldn't be a warranty item. Put a little bad gas in my Toyota van the other day and was amazed that I din't even make it a km before it died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
That right there is a mere assumption. We have no proof of this. I wish we did to move on and go from there.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #96
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Motor issues aside, I remember seeing a photo of your generator that looked remarkably like mine that had failed.

I was told by a BMW NA rep that they are seeing issues with these failing on bike who do long mile days. He said there was a heat issue in the generator, and people who rode for long periods of time were starting to have failures, like mine.
They covered it under warranty even though I'm out of warranty because of this "documented" parts failure.

Your travels fit the bill for the failure to occur, and your generator looks just like mine.

No Power - no engine - no good.

Something to add to the list to get fixed while your there maybe?... Might be hard since it hasn't failed yet, unless you talk to someone who's seen this before, like I luckily did.

Good luck, I'm sorry for your troubles and hope your time abroad is still being enjoyed.

My old and new generator

Quote:
[COLOR=White

Is the dark colour normal? mmmmmm...
[/COLOR]

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #97
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Motor issues aside, I remember seeing a photo of your generator that looked remarkably like mine that had failed.

I was told by a BMW NA rep that they are seeing issues with these failing on bike who do long mile days. He said there was a heat issue in the generator, and people who rode for long periods of time were starting to have failures, like mine.
They covered it under warranty even though I'm out of warranty because of this "documented" parts failure.

Your travels fit the bill for the failure to occur, and your generator looks just like mine.

No Power - no engine - no good.
Is it possible that the gene has created so much heat so as to effect the viscosity of the oil and fook it?

That would stand to reason for the broken ring lands on the pistons although the skirts still look ok, but given the heat from the crown and the possibility that the oil was not taking the heat out this could have caused the failure.

Ar both bikes the same colour as far as the gene goes?
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #98
indycar
I can get you a toe

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
My thoughts exactly when I saw his generator - looked just like yours (color-wise). You nailed it though - without it failing, can (will) they do anything about it? I guess one thing we don't know is, how long your generator was nasty looking before it gave it up.

I get the bad gas gas thing. If it *was* bad gas [not saying it was], to me anyway, it's quite disconcerting that it took so little to douche up the motor - this does nothing for the bike's 'rugged' Adventure claims.
indycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #99
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Motor issues aside, I remember seeing a photo of your generator that looked remarkably like mine that had failed
As soon as I saw our stators last week I though 'these look just like ChiTown's!' and told the Lima dealer about it and asked them to take a photo and send it to BMW in Germany for their assessment. No comments about it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycar View Post
I get the bad gas gas thing. If it *was* bad gas [not saying it was], to me anyway, it's quite disconcerting that it took so little to douche up the motor - this does nothing for the bike's 'rugged' Adventure claims.
Naomi and I had driven literary ~20kms after refueling half a tank (~2 gallons) of the suspected fuel when I had to pullover b/c things did not seem to be right with my bike. I shifted down from 5th all the way down to 'N' and the bike died while I was still rolling (pulling over, the engine shut down). No warning lights came up at all. I thought 'maybe the bikes didn't like Peru's gas' so I proceeded to use the gas we had on our rotopaxs to boost the octane with the mix. The engines were never the same after that day so we decided to come to Lima.

If indeed was 'bad gas' that FUp the engines, it only took 20kms to shut mine down

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Was just on the phone with the Lima dealer and they haven't heard anything back from Germany. They said they have forwarded all the info to BMW in Panama (Headquarters of Motorrad in Latin America). According to the Lima dealer, Panama has contacted the dealer in Victoria, Canada to 'talk' about our bikes.

The drama continues...

betitolara screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 02:01 PM
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #100
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:

If indeed was 'bad gas' that FUp the engines, it only took 20kms to shut mine down

20km, ... yeah maybe to stall the bike due to no combusting properly but NOT toast the engine as badly as it has done.

That would mean half the vehicles in the world would be ready to dissolve within 20km, I don't buy it. ... starting to sound like my old Ducati now!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #101
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
As soon as I saw our stators last week I though 'these look just like ChiTown's!' and told the Lima dealer about it and asked them to take a photo and send it to BMW in Germany for their assessment. No comments about it yet.
Question - did you notice any funky smell coming from your bike before it went out on you, like the smell of burning electronics? I only ask b/c this thread has me now stewing on my generator and the couple times I've smelled the sweet smell of roasting electrical parts coming from my bike yet have been unable to pinpoint the cause.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #102
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 441
Does Peru have the current eco-bullshit where Ethanol has to be used? It is becoming a big issue here in Oz, particularly in the boating industry. My reference to this is this fact about Ethanol;

"The shelf life area is alone a major problem for boaters; let's face it, few recreational boats are used on a daily basis.

If there's a spell of inclement weather, for instance, a boat may sit unused for weeks.

Phase Separation in Gasoline -

During that time the ethanol evaporates away quickest, leaving 'sour' low octane fuel behind.
We know that stale fuel can spell all sorts of gumming and engine problems.

The trouble is that the shelf life of E10 is only two weeks!!! Shorter in hot weather or the boat is in the sun all day.

Idle time, especially when there is humidity about will also cause what is known as 'phase separation' ethanol separates, sinking to the bottom of the tank. There is absolutely no way in can be avoided or re-mixed.

So what is 'phase separation'?

Like brake fluid, ethanol is 'hygroscopic', which means it absorbs or attracts moisture. If it absorbs any water, even that from the air, 'phase separation' occurs when the ethanol separates from the gasoline.

The gasoline floats to the top of the tank, the ethanol sinks to the bottom.

When this layer of ethanol builds up to more than a few mm, the fuel pickup tube inside the tank will deliver a dose of near 100% ethanol to hoses, filters and engines that are only rated to handle 10%.

Once phase separation has occurred there is no way to remix the ethanol and gasoline."

(Full article and other guff here http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Power%20Boats/Ethanol-or-E10-it-will-never-be-mates-with-boats_2994732.aspx , http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Pow...I_3013988.aspx , http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Art...ils-of-Ethanol)

If the fuel you had purchased was 'old' your bikes could have had a burst of the water contaminated 100% Ethanol or the Ethanol could have lost all it's octane rating leaving every low octane crappy fuel behind.

If your dealer assured you the bike had had an engine remap so it could run on very low octane fuels they should be fixing this for you on warranty.

That said, the tossers here who keep claiming they would never buy a BMW because of this, grow up, it could happen to any bike, car or boat. Unfortunately the quality of fuel you buy is often the luck of the draw. We have about 7 or 8 petrol stations in our town/city and one of them has always had a bad reputation for selling shitty fuel yet it is not only one of the biggest, is also a main fuel depot so you would think the fuel from there would be as fresh as you could get. Anyone from out of town would have no idea of it's reputation but boy the locals know to stay away.

Good luck with the outcome, I have enjoyed the trip report so far. Even if it all ends here, you have already had a bloody good adventure - bastards! (sorry, could not resist, chained here at my bloody desk)
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #103
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Question - did you notice any funky smell coming from your bike before it went out on you, like the smell of burning electronics?
Nope, no funky smell coming from our bikes. I did sniff the stators when they were out and smelled a bit burnt. Logically, I didn't think It was normal and pointed out to the service department here in the Lima dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
Does Peru have the current eco-bullshit where Ethanol has to be used?

Even if it all ends here, you have already had a bloody good adventure - bastards! (sorry, could not resist, chained here at my bloody desk)
Peru is far from being 'eco' anything. I doubt they recycle used Ethanol but I'll ask around about it.

Once I was told 'even the worst day of adventure motorcycling is better than any day @ work' so I know where you're coming from
Old 01-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #104
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Nope, no funky smell coming from our bikes. I did sniff the stators when they were out and smelled a bit burnt. Logically, I didn't think It was normal and pointed out to the service department here in the Lima dealer.

Peru is far from being 'eco' anything. I doubt they recycle used Ethanol but I'll ask around about it.

Once I was told 'even the worst day of adventure motorcycling is better than any day @ work' so I know where you're coming from
Yeh, thanks, I needed that, made me all enthusiastic for the rest of the day. My only salvation is a 16 day, 6,500km ride through central Oz in March but now there looks like a big cyclone is about to hit the top of the country in the next few days. This will then turn into a large rain depression and flood the entire centre, 50mm or rain out there can close roads for weeks so a couple of hundred should make a fine mess. Still, we could be lucky . At worse we will just drink, as always

It is not used or recycled Ethanol that is bad, it is ANY Ethanol. Avoid it like the plague.
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #105
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
How far back was the gas station that sold the suspect bad fuel?
If not real far it might be worth running back that and getting a sample gallon or so ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote