ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
East Coast May 2011

my brother (97tjguzzy on expeditionportal.com) is creating a round trip along the east coast

Our Plan is to leave Columbia, SC on Saturday May 21st head toward Brevard, NC and take the Blue ridge parkway up to GWNF and over to maryland to see a friend, then down the coastline along the outerbanks of VA and into NC to see Kittyhawk and drive the beach road then back out by wilmington and back to Columbia, SC.

My brother will be in his TJ with trailer and RTT and I will be following along on my KLR
We plan to stay in NF most nights, but one night we will be at the friends house in maryland and another we plan to stay at a bed and breakfast somewhere along the coast.

We are looking for any good routes or pitstops along the way

If anyone has any ideas, in this area- do tell

here is the most current map of our route:

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF...ac93832f14902d

google maps doesn't like to stay on route with the blue ridge park way- thats the only reason there are so many points on the route

here is the Basic Trip Plan:

Day 1. Saturday, May 21
Leave Chapin, SC around 9 am.
Camp at or near Mt. Mitchell State Park, Burnsville, NC

Day 2 Sunday, May 22
Leave Mt. Mitchell State Park 10 am.
Camp at or Near Mabry Mill, VA
http://www.virginia.org/site/descrip...p?attrid=40045
Day 3 Monday, May 23
Leave Mabry Mill 10am
Camp at or Near Black Water Falls , WV

Day 4 Tuesday, May 24
Leave Blackwater falls at 10am
Stay with Melissa in Belcamp, MD

Day 5 Wednesday, May 25
Hang out with Melissa for the day

Day 6 Thursday, May 26
Leave Belcamp in the afternoon
Day 7 Friday, May 27

Day 8 Saturday May 28

Day 9 Sunday, May 29

boybrushedplad screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 09:06 AM
boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Day 2 camp at

Willville motorcycle camp ground, you will not regret, it's right off the parkway. http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 357
Day One Overnight Stay

Last summer I rode the full length of the BRP from Waynesboro, VA south to the end in Cherokee, NC. We did not notice an abundance of camp grounds near Mt. Mitchell, but just up the road at mile marker #331 you could get off on Rt. 226A and stay at the Skyline Village Inn pretty cheap, very clean rooms, great food and an unbelievable selection of craft beers. As an added bonus, the place is the site of an old moonshine still and if you ask the owner, Mike Thrift for a tour, he will take you back into the cave that leads to the still. If you want to check out pictures of the place, you can go to my ride report "Grumpy Old Men Do the Tail of the Dragon". If you want to ride through Little Switzerland, you can get off at the exit before Skyline and ride a few miles up 226A. Have a great trip. OH...BTW the reason I suggest a hotel instead of camping at Mt. Mitchell is the elevation (highest point in the eastern US). I was freezing my ass off on a July morning riding up to the summit. In May, the camping could be shall we say a bit on the chilly side.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595720

Kawikazi screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 12:21 PM
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Tuggles Gap for Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
Willville motorcycle camp ground, you will not regret, it's right off the parkway. http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/
If your going to stop at Willville for the night, you might as well also get off at Mile Marker 165 just up the road, make a left at the exit from the BRP and Tuggles Gap has a great little biker restaurant right there on your left. They probably serve breakfast as well if you want to hit it on the way out in the morning.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,127
I like the NC 80 loop you can take from the parkway after you leave mt mitchell. The loop includes 80 south from parkway, left on Tom's Creek, left at 221, and then left on 226, take the alternate 226. This will place you heading through little switzerland, NC. You meet back up with the parkway, there are eats and lodging in the area.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Willville would be great- but my bro is in a TJ and the website states there is MC traffic exclusively...

do you think the'yll allow a jeep in the campsite with me?

thanks for the idea for the route 80 loop- that may prove quite helpful on a frosty night
That ride report was great- thanks for the info

anybody else?

also- I'm toying with the idea of riding the tail- though my brother doesnt seem to like the idea of doing it in his jeep ( haha )
if anyone would be up to meeting up to ride it with me that would be fun- though i suppose I could just find some nice strangers to help pull me from the ravines...

boybrushedplad screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 06:54 PM
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
There is limited space but I would give him (Will) a call he might allow it if you give him heads up and it's only one jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybrushedplad View Post
Willville would be great- but my bro is in a TJ and the website states there is MC traffic exclusively...

thanks for the idea for the route 80 loop- that may prove quite helpful on a frosty night

anybody else?

also- I'm toying with the idea of riding the tail- though my brother doesnt seem to like the idea of doing it in his jeep ( haha )
if anyone would be up to meeting up to ride it with me that would be fun- though i suppose I could just find some nice strangers to help pull me from the ravines...
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Tail of the Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybrushedplad View Post

anybody else?

I'm planning on another trip down to the Tail sometime this summer as I want to reverse our path and take the BRP the full length in the opposite direction (south to north). Let me know if you want to hit the Tail this summer, but May is a little early for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,510
Memorial Day weekend is one of the worst times to drive through Va. Beach into the Outer Banks. The road into OBX is backed up for miles, seen it all the way to the VA/NC border on a holiday weekend. Ocean Trail into Corolla is 25mph, but you'll be lucky to get it out of first gear. It might be better when you come into Va. Beach on rt13, take rt17 through Elizabeth City and hook up with rt64 into Nags Head. At least you will avoid the Kitty Hawk traffic, which is usually the worst part. Check out the Hatteras Lighthouse on the way to Ocracoke and bring some straps for the ferry ride, it can be rough.
Enjoy the ride!
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Updated days 1 and 2

Day 1. Saturday, May 21
Leave Chapin, SC at 9:00 am.
Stop at Mt. Mitchell State Park, Burnsville, NC
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/momi/main.php
Late lunch at Skyline Village Cavern Tavern, Spruce Pine, NC
http://www.skylinevillageinn.com/
End Day 1 at Linville Falls/Linville Gorge area to camp for the night.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linville_Falls

Day 2 Sunday, May 22
Leave Linville Gorge Camp at 10:00am.
Stop at Stone Mountain State Park, Roaring Gap, NC
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/stmo/main.php
Stop for Dinner at Mabry Mill, VA
http://www.virginia.org/site/descrip...p?attrid=40045
Camp near Rocky Knob Recreation Area (campground $16 per night)
Need more info on this area.

and here are the google maps for days 1-2

DAY 1

DAY 2
Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
Memorial Day weekend is one of the worst times to drive through Va. Beach into the Outer Banks. The road into OBX is backed up for miles, seen it all the way to the VA/NC border on a holiday weekend. Ocean Trail into Corolla is 25mph, but you'll be lucky to get it out of first gear. It might be better when you come into Va. Beach on rt13, take rt17 through Elizabeth City and hook up with rt64 into Nags Head. At least you will avoid the Kitty Hawk traffic, which is usually the worst part. Check out the Hatteras Lighthouse on the way to Ocracoke and bring some straps for the ferry ride, it can be rough.
Enjoy the ride!
I haven't gotten to talk with my brother about this yet, but I believe him and his wife wanted to see all the Kitty Hawk stuff, so we may just have to deal with the traffic...

I appreciate the info though and we will definitely take this into consideration
Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #12
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
i would not want to be fo0llowing a 4 weeled vehicle for 50 miles, much less your trip.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i would not want to be fo0llowing a 4 weeled vehicle for 50 miles, much less your trip.

I'm taking the trip with my brother- its more of an adventure than just focusing on the riding so along many of the roads I will probably be content staying near my brother-

However, by the time this trip comes around I am going to be gps enabled and so I won't think twice about going on ahead and really

To each his own, but I'm really excited about taking this trip- and I'm glad I'm going with the people I'm going with
Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
ToadMama
ToadMama

Oddometer: 11
Blackwater to Belcamp

You'll have lots of different options from Blackwater to Belcamp. Easiest is US 219 N then WV 90 north and east to US 50. Take US 50 east. Either pop up WV 29 (just east of Romney/Augusta) to WV 127 and over to US 522 SE (shaves 30 minutes between Romney and Winchester) or take the more leisurely US 50 almost into Winchester. Here's a Google map for you. Much easier than typing all this out: http://goo.gl/maps/rZcM. This is not the most direct route, but you'll have easy access to Interstates once you hit the Winchester area if you want to speed things up a bit. You won't gain a whole lot of time on I-70 through Maryland. MD drivers don't understand the concept of passing lanes. Usually the right lane is the faster route, especially across South and Braddock Mountains. Have a safe trip!
Web Home: http://www.appalachiantours.com/
ToadMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

wow, thanks, I really appreciate the info- turns out I won't be needing it on this trip in particular, though. As we were planning the trip we began to see we were not going to have enough time for everything we wanted. Basically we are going to do the WV portion of the trip this time and a focus on the OBX later in the summer.
Right now the WV trip is looking like this:

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

DAY 8

DAY 9