User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
2 up on the Tenere NSW

Well Salina (my partner) and I thought as we had a kid less week we would just be nomads for a week and with that in mind we got away late Boxing Day arvo from the Blue Mountains. We rode down through Wisemans Ferry and up through mangrove Mountain via Spencer as it was getting late and we didnít want to go through the dirt past St Aburns in the dark.

We thought we would head to a mates for the evening but as he wouldnít be home till 8.30 we had some time to kill. A quick trip down the back roads into Gosford to visit some friends. Great time had by all, as we left for mates it started to sprinkle so we kitted Salina out in her wet weather gear while I said nah we will out run it all good I wonít put mine on :laugh: I got drenched :P All good but you dry quick at 115 ;)

After a late night we left early in the morning and traveled up Karauh for a bacon and egg roll (she so gets treated to all the specials when we are on the road :P ) From there we went through Hawks Nest and around Myall lakes and over the ferry to Buladelah. I explored some tracks but we kept running into locked gates

From there up through Wotton over the old Pacific Hwy which bought make some good and bad memories from old times, rides and scars :)

We thought we would stop at a mates beach house which was full of people I kid you not, people everywhere. We had a great stay, cheers everyone there we slept out as the place was packed. The beach was great

We set up the new tent, it sets up easy and just fits 2 people. We went for a swim and played around. Dinner photos, bikes drinking ping pong laughs. I can vouch for the fact the tent is water proof as it bucketed down all night while we lay there waiting for it to flood. Someone said we had 45mm that night but the tent remained upright and dry inside ;)

We had a cracker breakfast and went for a swim today and Diamond Beach, we went out to the hi-way and turned south to pick up a track I had found on shonky maps, we followed that around some 45kms into Taree where I rang the Mayor (a mate from Wauchope we call the mayor) and arranged a meet at Combyone. From there Sal and I climbed in the mist up through the mountains where we met the Mayor just out of town.

We had a quick stop at a cafe and then rode down to near Wauchope to a friend of Sal's for the evening. Here we have had some beers (including a roadie for the Mayor)
The next day after another late night I spent the day riding around Wauchope and Port Maq with the Mayor calling in seeing friends while Sal went horse riding. I rode my NX for a while which felt really weird, given that it was like an old glove :laugh:

A late evening BBQ and beers while repacking the bike saw us ready to leave the next morning.

TB
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

cont

We left Wauchope the next day and rode out the back through Rowland Plains and up through a maze of tracks into Dongdingalong (I kid you not, spelling may not be 100% correct but thatís what they call the joint) We had one turn around for a flooded creek crossing and a couple of dead ends but it didnít matter we werenít in a hurry. We rode into Kempsey, across the bridge and back out of town on the Armidale road to west of Willawarren. Then it was a series of dirt roads to Taylorís Arms and the pub with no beer that had beer. (Sorry no photos we couldnít find the camera at this stage of the trip)
After a beer we rode into Macksville, across the bridge, turned left and headed the back way to Coffs Harbour through Bellingen. Sadly the road is closed as you get to Bellingin so we had to turn around again and take another route again no biggy but it was getting on so I rang a mate and asked him to play travel agent for us in Coffs as a treat for Salina who hadnít complained once. He got us a room at the Novatel (yeah hardly hard core adventure rider stuff) I rang another mate he came around for a beer and afterwards Sal and I grabbed takeaway and chilled.
Next morning and the camera located we got under way here is the Tenere at the Novatel in Coffs (thanks to my travel agent for getting us a room in Coffs in holiday season with 1 days notice)

After there we followed Scottís (Coffs Mate) route through Wedding Bells state forest, this was great as we saw some of the places we rode on the Old Bull Trailriders recent Coffs ride weekend. See here it was great
http://www.obtrailriders.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=56&func=view&catid=2&id=93431
All was going well with Scottís route until I missed a turn and my GPS which was set for Nana Glen took over, all of a sudden we came across this mother of a two-up hill. It was rutted and washed out but what the hell we tackled it and stayed wheels down :laugh: Scott was surprised we did it :P

From there we rode in Nana Glen and checked out Rusty's place :laugh: (Russell Crow) that is, well we rode past his place and then found out later he has sold up and moved, gone he no longer lives there :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

We rode into Glenreagh, had a drink Sal shopped and cost me money :laugh: Told her all week cant shop canít fit anything onboard ;) So she bought a ring at a hippie shop because she said she could wear it :( :laugh:

Old ute spotted in town at Glenreagh, nice huh

From there we travelled some back roads, a couple of dirt roads and of course the normal great tracks that turn into dead ends :lol:

We did a little shopping in Grafton and I spoke with the Mayor as we rode across the bent bridge which was funny. We rode out a little back road to Lawrence to meet Nick (Inmate here) at the pub there

After cooling ale we motored onto Nicks thru a series of dirt roads and back roads.

At Nicks we enjoyed a swim, beers, rums the girls chatted, we had a great dinner in town and some laughs.

Next day was a big day we had some boring miles to cover as we promised a mate we would be back on the 1st so we had to motor down the freeway, here we are stopped at Nambucca Heads on the river

Loaded up eh

Left bag weighed 22k, right bag 23k and I didnít weigh the top roll I forgot :blink:

Me waiting to get going as usual :laugh:

We got back to Mates at Diamond beach and then rode into town to meet them all for dinner at a restaurant fully kitted :laugh:

After dinner Salina was left to get a ride in a car back while I did the beach track from Foster to Red head in the dark on my own (got lost twice :laugh: ) it was a great run through the sand in the deep ruts. The bike was awesome in the sand fully loaded which was a good test as I had run the forks through the triple clamps to help it turn in.

Next morning it was up early and down via some back roads and routes to Gosford where we went out on the old mans boat. They have done it up and itís a cracker, it was great seeing the boat finished and catching up with Dad. From there we snuck down the old Pacific Hwy, it was threatening to rain but it looked like we would get home dry until we hit the M7. There the heavens opened, lighting, small hail and sheets of rain. We ploughed on and got home looking like two drowned rats :laugh:

We covered 1981kms during our week away. Salina was a trooper the whole time and it was awesome to spend the week together on the bike, left me feeling lucky to be able to do it with her. Thanks to all the Old bulls and Inmates that we caught up with, cheers guys

TB
Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Dan_B
Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer: 235
Nice ride! Good to see that the Tenere handled the 2 up well fully loaded too.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 748
Nice RR - thanks for sharing

What tyres are you running on the 10 and how do you find them on dirt and tar please?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Wow the Tenere did really well loaded and with 2 up. I have been trying to decide what my next bike will be and had put the Tenere on the back burner until I read this.

I'm considering a DL1000, XL1000V or even a Buell Ulysses, but after seeing your report, the Tenere is back to the top of the list.

What sort of speed are you able to maintain on the freeway's?? Is 120kph quite comfortable??

Great RR

Geoff.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Great R.R. The Tenere looks like a great bike for the job.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKLR View Post
Wow the Tenere did really well loaded and with 2 up. I have been trying to decide what my next bike will be and had put the Tenere on the back burner until I read this.

What sort of speed are you able to maintain on the freeway's?? Is 120kph quite comfortable??

Great RR

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, yeah we sat on 123 to 125 on the speedo or 116 to 118 on the GPS and the bike does it easy. It was double points week so was going easy and with the bride on the back of course. On a recent Camerons trip via SA we sat on 130 + for long periods. It has standard gearing, I did try going down a couple of teeth before but put it back to standard

Tekniks did my suspension and it rocks I cant say enough good about Nick there, mine was the first they did. It carried all that gear easy, I only bottomed it once and that was me miss reading a washout! When ridden on my own you can really peddle it now.

I did a write up on some of the mods etc I have done to the bike http://www.obtrailriders.com/index.p...id=18&id=91879

It needs updating but you will get the idea

TB
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom View Post
Nice RR - thanks for sharing

What tyres are you running on the 10 and how do you find them on dirt and tar please?

I ran a 606 on the front as we planned as much off road as possible, that said I knew there would be the hwy blast home and the knobbie would suffer. The 606 has heel and toed but will be ok.

The rear I ran a Kenda K270 CLAW it was a compromise because of the hwy run home I had a new 606 rear but kept it in the shed for solo rides (less on road) it has shown very little wear and considering where we went it was a good thing

TB
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
QDogg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Great pics and report! Looks like you had a great time.
Was glad to see that the tent held up. I bought one late last year
but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Must've been "cosy"
with the two of you in there!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Re Tent

I have no idea how the two of you slept in that Mantis Tent. I used exactly the same tent for my trip across oz (6 weeks, 14,000ks) and whilst the quality was brilliant (and perfect weight/size for bikes), it was somewhat tiny even by myself!! If it was a foot higher and two foot longer, it would have been exceptional instead of just good. I still had to leave my boots and dry bag outside as there was simply no room...all I can say is that you must have been very very cosy!!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,889

Those Teneres are sweeeeeeeet! Beautiful bike, thanks for sharing

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,009
That's a nice looking bike!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,116
Nice ride report TB

your a legend
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle

Dirt Doctor screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 08:59 PM
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 445
That tenere looks great,back on my radar for a new bike.
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #15
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDogg View Post
Great pics and report! Looks like you had a great time.
Was glad to see that the tent held up. I bought one late last year
but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Must've been "cosy"
with the two of you in there!
Yeah Cosy I got the tent approved by the mister as it's a we can use it purchase

TB