Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
1960 tbird, engine compartment wire..any ideas?

Working on this for a friend. Recently took it to a local "classic and hotrod specialty" place....boy did they screw him over. Did almost no work, charged a bunch of money. I digress. Anyway, when looking at it today I found a yellow wire that is part of the loom that goes to the generator. Looks like it could have gone to the starter side of the solenoid. Looks like it has been hooked up recently...but car starts and runs (sort of...still working on that). Any ideas? :shrug:

and the car, 352 4bbl car. Original paint, no rust. Been sitting a year and I am determined to get this thing back on the road!
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,221
With it being that big and yellow it should be easy to follow. The problem with a half century old vehicle is you've had about 4 generations of mechanics working on it.

Anyway, way back then yellow wires were either part of an ammeter circuit or it would go to the external regulator, so those are my two hunches as to what is was for.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,674
Not sure about back then but now-a-days ford charge wires are yellow or yellow and black.
What other wires and sizes are coming from the generator ? and we are talking generator right ? as in someone has not retro-ed an alternator and this yellow wire is just a leftover or something.....

OK an EDIT

My friend Google shows several 59,60,62 Ford V8's with a Yellow/Black wire from the Generator to Regulator and a Yellow wire from the Regulator to the battery side of the starter relay

the kaz screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 09:47 PM
the kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kaz View Post
Not sure about back then but now-a-days ford charge wires are yellow or yellow and black.
What other wires and sizes are coming from the generator ? and we are talking generator right ? as in someone has not retro-ed an alternator and this yellow wire is just a leftover or something.....

OK an EDIT

My friend Google shows several 59,60,62 Ford V8's with a Yellow/Black wire from the Generator to Regulator and a Yellow wire from the Regulator to the battery side of the starter relay
I looked but didnt find any good pictures that showed what I was looking for. Can you link some of the pics you found?
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 971
Is the battery charging when the engine is 'running'?
Does the car have an Ammeter?

Just asking 'cause those other guys need to know.
Very nice pics BTW.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:

OK an EDIT

I can remember that on other cars too.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
I looked but didnt find any good pictures that showed what I was looking for. Can you link some of the pics you found?

http://users.wpi.edu/~goulet/TBird/60wiring_diagram.jpg

http://squarebirds.org/Diagrams-Schematics/1958-1966_Wiring_Diagrams/Thumbnails/66TbirdIgnitionStartingChargingLeft.jpg

I find that google searching images works better for finding wiring diagrams or the like
Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks again! Looks like it does go to the battery side of the solenoid. Only issue is to make sure the shop didnt do something to make this wire no longer necessary. But those wiring diagrams help A LOT. Now time to get out the multimeter and go to town. Not sure if its charging right....its not been run enough.

#4 cylinder is oil fouling. Going to try stuff to unseize a piston ring then try the valve stem seals. Dont have the time or space to take the motor apart.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
wanderboy
I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer: 138
I'm not sure, but I think the 352 had an external oil return line. they were prone to clogging up, not letting the oil return to the pan. could cause #4 to foul, but when all the oil is in the heads none is in the pan . could be wrong but look for a 1/4 in. copper line coming off the head. just trying to help

Larry
wanderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Thanks again! Looks like it does go to the battery side of the solenoid. Only issue is to make sure the shop didnt do something to make this wire no longer necessary. But those wiring diagrams help A LOT. Now time to get out the multimeter and go to town. Not sure if its charging right....its not been run enough.

#4 cylinder is oil fouling. Going to try stuff to unseize a piston ring then try the valve stem seals. Dont have the time or space to take the motor apart.
Been years since I heard it but I think since we are talking generators instead of altenators it boost start up voltage. It wouldnt be used if converted to altenator.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Been years since I heard it but I think since we are talking generators instead of altenators it boost start up voltage. It wouldnt be used if converted to altenator.
It is a gen car, and that makes sense. More good ideas. Car is across town, will get to mess with it again this weekend or next.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,302
Nice squarebird, great shape.

I believe you could option them with a 430 CID engine. Should get like 8 MPG.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I did some testing and some research of the wiring diagrams and agree that it should be hooked up to the battery side of the solenoid. Then 2 days later friend found some older photos that show that as where it went!

Looks like to me, that the batt side of the new solenoid didnt have as long a post as the old one, so there was not enough room. So the repair shop just left it off. Idiots.......

http://www.musclecarsandhandlebars.com/

Dont EVER take or let anyone you know take anything to this shop. Its embarrassing to think of the work they did/or didnt do.

Were supposed to:

change plugs (did not gap them, several were at .011 instead of .032 and one was flopping around in the head)
wires
battery
solenoid (wire not hooked up properly)
clean carb (did not take the carb apart, was a mess inside)
fuel filter
drain replace gas (did not do it until after car didnt run after first time he went to pick it up)

They missed that it was firing HORRIBLE and missing all over the place. Missed that it was major oil fouling #4 cylinder. Smoking like a james bond car from right side tail pipe.

Took them 3 months, had to take it back once and charged him over $500.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Dont EVER take or let anyone you know take anything to this shop. Its embarrassing to think of the work they did/or didnt do.

Took them 3 months, had to take it back once and charged him over $500.

Ok, I think you're preaching to the choir.
This was built in 1960 so is 51 years old and the guys who know this machine well are all 70 years old and retired.

Good on you for getting it figured out.

Expect more trouble.
He won't take it back to them now!

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
Ok, I think you're preaching to the choir.
This was built in 1960 so is 51 years old and the guys who know this machine well are all 70 years old and retired.

Good on you for getting it figured out.

Expect more trouble.
He won't take it back to them now!
HHHMpphh..
don't stand up for crap work please.

while people of older knowledge are dying off at a fast
rate, it does not mean that it is a good reason to not do the basics right.
I swing from teens and twenties cars here at my shop, to friends new american and jap cars .
to volkswagon/audi/volvo to mercedes at my friends import shop. when he needs help.

It is about the want to be a good tech. using the resources that are around the net, factory manuals, finding that old guy(although it sucks I am that guy at 40) and BEING smart enough to think your work thru not just replacing parts.

be a man dodge tree bark!

Weíve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote