Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #166
Rellik
o-KAY!

Oddometer: 588
It's funny, we met for a few minutes in the Costco today and I said to my wife after how positive I was I knew "that guy" and I finally remembered on the way home. I followed this report start to finish which is rare, and it's funny the familiarity you feel with someone you've never met. Great report and we will have to link up for a ride sometime!

Alan
Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #167
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
It's funny, we met for a few minutes in the Costco today and I said to my wife after how positive I was I knew "that guy" and I finally remembered on the way home. I followed this report start to finish which is rare, and it's funny the familiarity you feel with someone you've never met. Great report and we will have to link up for a ride sometime!

Alan
I'm surprised you recognized me with the beard and hair, it's rare that I'm not bald and beardless. Almost as rare is me actually being in-store. Usually one of my sales people are there. Anyway, sorry but I'm not exactly sure who you and your wife were, I probably talked to +200 people today.

Glad you liked the RR and I'd definitely like to meet up for a ride. Let me know when you're headed out.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #168
Quikegeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thanks for the RR!, I spend the whole day reading one of the most interesting reports ever!
Quikegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #169
CHAPIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I left the hotel at 10:00am. I rode down the highway toward the border crossing of La Mesilla. As I rounded the corner I had been stopped at the day before due to the protest I was seriously annoyed to see that they were still there. The line was much smaller than yesterday and the truck blocking the road was different so it was apparent that the road had opened at some point since I was there last.

I asked a local what time the blockade would be removed and he said 5pm. FUCK. I was cursing myself for not getting up earlier and beating them down here.

I looked over the map and decided to try a crossing further south. It was only an hour and a half drive which would put me several hours ahead of sitting and waiting until 5pm.

I punched the crossing into the GPS and made a U-turn. As I rode back toward the city I noticed several small trails beside the road. Surely one of them would bypass the road block. I stopped on the side of the road to ponder and have a look at the map. A local walked over and as if he had read my mind he said, "Even if you get around this road block there are 10-12 more between here and the border." I thanked him for the info, started the bike and headed down the road toward the other crossing.

As I rode past a small restaurant I saw a couple R1200GSs in the parking lot. I thought I'd stop and give them a heads up in case they didn't know about the obstruction ahead. I parked the bike and as I walked in I was greeted by Carlos, Gilbert and their wives Doris and Esperanza. I had met the 2 Mexican couples at the Los Manos border between Nicaragua and Honduras a little over a week before.

Carlos and Doris sleeping in the parking lot.

The next 70km can only be described as terrifying. With Carlos/Doris in the lead followed by Gilbert/Esperanza and me last, we weaved and raced down the road. The highway is twisty and winds through many towns along the way. There was fallen rock all over the road as well as debris from other road blocks which included rocks, logs and burnt tires (?!). None of this stopped the 2 couples from riding like crazy people.

I have never seen a fully loaded bike, 2 up being ridden like that, ever.

Gilbert's panniers were literally dragging through the corners. They were passing on blind corners, as they crested hills, on the shoulder and a couple times on the sidewalk. We blasted through towns where the speed limit was 40kph at over 110kph, past Guatemalan Police who didn't seem to care. On a couple of straights we were approaching 150kph. I, on cupped, worn out knobbies was extremely uncomfortable to say the least. I think that even on a crotch rocket I would have been uncomfortable riding with them. The only reason I kept up was they had to slow right down for the speed bumps and I was able to hit them at 80kph. Of course this is all happening at dusk with limited visibility. Oh, did I mention that the four of them are all in their 50s?!

As I followed them into the darkness, it became apparent that their idea of slow and mine are not even close to the same. 120kph, in the dark, topes, police and animals everywhere. Yikes. We climbed higher and higher in the mountains. As we climbed the temperature dropped steadily. My outside-air-temp gauge flirted with sub-zero several times over a 30min period before climbing to a balmy 8C.

Side note, once I arrived at the house, their riding style made more sense. The walls of Carlos's office are covered with pictures of him racing with his track bike. I don't feel quite as bad about getting my ass handed to me by guys in their 50's riding 2-up with 3 piece luggage.
I see you had the Carlos & Gilberto riding experience! Aren't they something else?

I have the pleasure of counting them among my friends and get a chance to ride with them every couple of months, an experience one never forgets! Craziest riders I've ever rode with. Nicest people to be around. I firmly believe that crazy as these two guys they are nothing compared to their wives, imagine riding pillion with any of those two!

About two months ago we met with Carlos at El Salvador, my wife and I were riding a R1200GSA and Carlos was riding a DR650 with dirt tyres, he was keeping up and at times even passing us on the twisty highway, we were doing 160-170 KPH through some heavy traffic, at an intersection Carlos missed the turn and took a different route, I tried to wave at him but didn't thought he noticed, but I knew he could find his way back to the hotel so my wife and I kept going. Now I was doing about 160 KPH when I see this yellow bike jump into the highway right infront of us, it was Carlos!! He was riding at that speed on the sidewalk and thought nothing about jumping 4 feet down into the traffic packed highway at that speed. Craziest and nicest person on the planet. Gilberto is just as crazy and nice, I just meet with him less often, too bad... Riding with both of them together is something that keeps one's adrenaline up for months at a time.

Hector Marroquin
CHAPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #170
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikegeo View Post
Thanks for the RR!, I spend the whole day reading one of the most interesting reports ever!
I'm glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPIN View Post
I see you had the Carlos & Gilberto riding experience! Aren't they something else?

I have the pleasure of counting them among my friends and get a chance to ride with them every couple of months, an experience one never forgets! Craziest riders I've ever rode with. Nicest people to be around. I firmly believe that crazy as these two guys they are nothing compared to their wives, imagine riding pillion with any of those two!

About two months ago we met with Carlos at El Salvador, my wife and I were riding a R1200GSA and Carlos was riding a DR650 with dirt tyres, he was keeping up and at times even passing us on the twisty highway, we were doing 160-170 KPH through some heavy traffic, at an intersection Carlos missed the turn and took a different route, I tried to wave at him but didn't thought he noticed, but I knew he could find his way back to the hotel so my wife and I kept going. Now I was doing about 160 KPH when I see this yellow bike jump into the highway right infront of us, it was Carlos!! He was riding at that speed on the sidewalk and thought nothing about jumping 4 feet down into the traffic packed highway at that speed. Craziest and nicest person on the planet. Gilberto is just as crazy and nice, I just meet with him less often, too bad... Riding with both of them together is something that keeps one's adrenaline up for months at a time.

Hector Marroquin
Those 2 are awesome! The DR650 story sounds about right for Carlos. I miss Doris, Carlos and San Cristobal. I can't wait to go back. Next time you see them tell them I say hi

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #171
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
I couldnt agree more!

Hey - I rode with these guys in El Salvador and my comments were almost identical to yours!!!....They really fly.

I just cant bring myself to pass on blind corners or when there is oncoming traffic etc...Great bunch though. Very friendly.

Cheers everyone!!

Brian

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote