Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #31
superfunkomatic
Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer: 91
Great to read a ride report from somebody from here in Calgary. Really enjoying the report OSO.

Not to highjack the thread but what's your experience with Redline, SnowStrom? I've heard mixed reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowStrom View Post
Amazing pics to look at while sitting here in the F&^*ing snow!

My farkling continues - installed a Gear Indicator with ATRE yesterday so should help with the lean surging at <3000 rpm. My new rear Elka shock arrives next week so will get on that. Ordering Racetech springs and gold valves for front shocks next week also (even though I always swore never to do business with a company that has "tech" in their name!). I'll take the shocks off and get Redline to do this install since I have never done it before. I also installed new handlebars 2 weeks ago with less bend so my elbows don't get squished in to my freakishly huge body as much, so it's coming together. It will be nicer to ride when done...
superfunkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #32
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 223
I haven;t done much with them - they installed some Metlzer Tourance's for me last year and were excellent. Price was good, fast and service was great. I have also bought a few things there since and talked to them about a Power Commander and the front shock rebuild. For me they've been great. I was especially impressed that they hung on to my old tires for about a month after i stupidly forgot to go back and pick them up. When I went by they were still there and they were great about it.

My father in law took his bike in there for some new tires and tune up also and found they were excellent.

I've had some "trying times" at Blackfoot, so try to avoid them if at all possible. If you need anything else PM me.

Good luck, David (thanks for letting us crash your RR Oso...)
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #33
jonboy29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi Cory,
great RR here

I was wondering what is up with Tim and his adventure???
Is he gonna do a RR??

Hope all is well, and keep it coming
jonboy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #34
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by karhaulr View Post
Hi Cory,
great RR here

I was wondering what is up with Tim and his adventure???
Is he gonna do a RR??

Hope all is well, and keep it coming
Tim's RR is on the TerraNova site. There's a link to the facebook page there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowStrom View Post

I've had some "trying times" at Blackfoot, so try to avoid them if at all possible. If you need anything else PM me.

Good luck, David (thanks for letting us crash your RR Oso...)
No worries about highjacking the thread, I haven't posted in a bit so I'm glad someone is!

Sounds like you've got a good handle on the bike mods. You'll love the suspension upgrades I'm sure!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #35
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

I haven't been up to too much other than several days of hanging out on the beach or relaxing at "Tasty Waves Surf Cantina" in Puerto Viejo. It's a super laid back place run by a couple of American brothers who lost their jobs due to the recession and used their severance package $ to buy a bar. Talk about making Lemonade with their Lemons.

I stayed at Rocking Js Hostel. Definitely one of the most unique ones I've been to. Broken tile art cover the walls, side walks and floors everywhere.

There are gardens and flowers everywhere.

It has all the usual hostel stuff like showers, kitchen, wifi etc but also has pool tables, foose ball, a pub, they rent bikes, snorkel gear etc. There is a small travel agency that books rafting, diving, zip-lining and hiking tours.

They have dorm rooms for $7, they rent tents and space for $6, if you have your own tent it's $4 a night or for $5 you can stay in the "Hammock Hotel".

Covered tent space downstairs if you have your own.

Or second floor rental tents.

One of 3 Hammock Hotels on site.

Drug induced art work everywhere.

I was planning on stay for the night but meet several people within an hour of being there and I basically stayed in PV until they flew home yesterday.

I'm waiting for a few ppl to send me pics and video for the rafting trip to Rio Pacuare. I'll throw this random Rio Pacuare vid up as a place holder until I get a hold of ours. I know, that's lame. What can you do.

I left PV toward San Jose. I didn't really have a reason to go there other than there's a BMW Motorrad dealer there. Although there are several in Mexico and Central America, I haven't seen one since San Diego back in Oct. I needed an air filter but it could have waited. What I really needed and hoped they had (huge long shot) was the small mounting brackets that hold the visor to the BMW Enduro helmet. As the helmet gets older the cogs on the visor and the bracket wear out the visor doesn't stay up or down. It just kinda floats. It's quite annoying. Being these helmets are available in the US, I wasn't able to get the parts on the way down.

The street address system here is joke. The address is a description of of where the place is in relation to a landmark. So the Motorrad dealer address is listed as: 200m Sur y 200 Este Embajada Americana, San Jose, Costa Rica. That's it. That's what you get to work with. 200 meters South and 200 East of the US Embassy.

I'm sure you're thinking why not just get the address for the Embassy and go from there? I thought the same thing. So imagine frustration when I flipped open my Lonely Planet and looked up the Embassy address and found:

United States of America Embassy, San Jose, Costa Rica
"Opposite Centro Commercial de Oeste"

I figured I'd just ask some locals where it was. The answer depends on who you ask, how old they are and how long they've lived in San Jose. The embassy moved...17yrs ago but some people don't know that. To add to the confusion, when shown a map of SJ, most people have no idea where they are. After much laughing and swearing I flagged down a guy on a BMW and asked him. 5mins later I was in the parking lot of the dealership.

As I rolled in I noticed a black F650 single all loaded up and beside it a huge pile of adventure gear. When I jumped off the bike I was greeted by a couple of Americans who owned the F650 in the lot plus one more that was in for service. After a few minutes of talking I realized their story sounded familiar. I asked where they were from and when they said Boston it clicked that these people were Dachary and Kay, the "Corporate RunAways".

They were at the dealership having some overheating issues looked at on Kay's bike.

As soon as they rode into the dealership, a bay in service was cleared out and a tech started working on the bike. The "Director" of the dealership, Norval, came out and introduced himself and genuinely took an interest in their bike issue and did everything he could help out.

As soon as I rode up, the red carpet was also rolled out and I was treated extremely well by all the staff. Norval gave me a tour of the dealership and asked what I needed. He translated between the the parts girl and I and made sure I got everything. The visor brackets, the huge long shot part, yeah, they had several in stock. Unbelievable. I haven't found a dealer anywhere that stocked them (including the main dealer in Munich) but Norval had them.

Dachary, Kay, Norval and I:

It's amazing how simple your life gets when you're on the road. The elusive visor brackets. After I put them on and no longer had to jam bit of paper between the visor and helmet to keep everything open, I was all smiles. Made my day.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #36
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 223
Hey Oso - it's hilarious that you met Kay and Dachary - I have been reading their blog (www.corporaterunaways.com) too and read about their overheating issues and trip to the dealer. Funny.

There's another couple from BC who rode down through there and are in Peru now... (nomi-beto-adventures.blogspot.com). Looks like it's the thing to do this year, but at least I have lots of reading and riders to live vicariously through.

Glad you got your visor fixed-- I had a problem with my Arai last year and it's distracting as hell.

Ride on!

D
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #37
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Dear Garmin, your products suck.

That is all.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #38
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
How long are you around for? I'm not really sure how long I'll be anywhere at this point. I need to be back home for April 1 so about 10 weeks between here and there. I expect to be into Mexico the last week of Feb or first week of March. If you're going to be around then, let me know.

Cory
I'll prob be around Palenque around that time ;)
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #39
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer View Post
I'll prob be around Palenque around that time ;)
I wasn't there on the way down so it was on my list for the way back up. If the timing works out we'll have to meet up.

Cory

Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #40
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

When I left San Jose, I headed north to Los Chiles. There's a border crossing there that is small and puts you on the east side of Lago de Nicaragua opposite Granada, Managua etc.

The roads are good, a bit boring though. I made Chiles in good time. I stopped at a police check point to get some details about the border crossing ahead. The cop suggested that I cross at the larger crossing of Bena Blanca.

A month or 2 ago, Nicaragua mistakenly marched troops over the border into Costa Rica. The Nicaraguan military was using Google Maps (wtf?) and the border was drawn incorrectly. There was huge scene and tension until it was resolved. Apparently, officially all is well but unofficially there are still some hard feeling and there have been issues for people crossing into Nicaragua from Costa Rica, specifically at this border (why only this particular Xing I don't know).

It sounded odd so I asked a few more people in town and they all agreed that I'd be better off riding the few hundred km to the Bena Blanca site (where we had crossed on the way down).

I took a few back roads and after a couple hours of slamming and banging down the rock embedded roads I hit La Fortuna at the base of Volcan Arenal and decided to stay the night.

Volcan Arenal.

Laguna de Arenal.

In the morning I rode to the suggested crossing. Unlike the 7hr wait for a passport stamp on the way down, there wasn't a single person in line ahead of me and I was in and out in a matter of minutes. I cleared the bike from Customs and ran into a couple guys from Ottawa on KLRs. They had ridden from Ottawa and arrived at this border in 2 1/2 weeks.

I checked the exchange rate before I left the hotel that morning. Colonies are 500 ish to 1 US. Cordobas are 25 to 1 US so Colonies to Cordobas are about 25 to one.

The money exchange guy asked me if I wanted Cordobas, asked the rate, he said 25. Perfect. I counted out my Colonies, 65,825. He punched that into his calculator and divided by 25. 1604. Doing the math in my head, that seemed low. I said no and he punched it in again, 1604. I grabbed his calculator and noticed all the symbols were written on the keys with pen. The numbers were still kind of visible. I punched 65,825 divided by 25...1604. Seems low. I try again. Same thing. Ok, I guess my in-head math sucks and who am I to argue with the calculator? It's hot, I'm thirsty, hungry and tired. I take my 1604 and head across to the Nicaraguan border.

The Nicaraguan side of the border was just as random and disorganized at the first time through. I paid a helper $5 to get me through the maze of offices and obtained the 5 signatures from seemingly random officials scattered through the compound before hitting the customs office and police kiosk.

Apparently the system used to be very organized and all in one place but they gov't decided to tear down the old customs office and build a new one. In the meantime, the officials just sort of mill around in the parking lot doing their thing. Bizarre.

After about 45mins, I was through and on my way to Granada. It was about an hour after the border that I started thinking about the exchange rate again. 65,825 Colonies at 500-1 USD is roughly $130US. 1604 Cordobas at 25-1USD is only about $60. WTF? When I stopped I pulled out my laptop and checked the math again. 65,825 / 25= 2633. How did we (I) get 1604 over and over??

I played it over and over in my head and the only thing I can think of is that he had 1604 in the memory and I was hitting the memory recall button instead of the equals button. The symbols were worn out and re-written with pen. That little shit got me for about $70.

I was mad he had my money but I was even more mad that I had let him do it. I had no one to blame but myself. I knew it seemed low but thought how could the calculator be wrong? The next store I saw, I bought my own calculator.

This cost me $71.50 US. ($70 to the con artist and $1.50 for the calculator)

Dry (obviously) river bed near Granada, Nicaragua. It reminded me of Moab, Utah.

Flooded Palm Grove on the shore of Lago de Managua

I grabbed a hostel for the night and researched my options for heading toward Honduras. I was talking with CrashMaster a while back about the route to Puerto Cabezas. That was my plan but I came across a thread last night that made me reconsider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=330893&page=5

It's an epic RR through amazing terrain. What stressed me out was the part of the story where he hit the single strand of barb wire that was across the road at 40km/h ... caught it in the neck. The wire itself isn't what bothered me. You can get seriously hurt anywhere at anytime. The concern comes from the fact that it was days before he found a doctor, nurse or clean water to wash the cuts. He was struggling to get help even with fluent Spanish, I have basically none.

I need to think about riding that area a bit more before I pull the trigger. If anyones in the area and wants to ride to PTO Cabezas, pm me or post up.

In the meantime, I'm hanging out in San Juan del Sur. Beautiful, cheap place.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #41
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
gorgeous. What a great trip.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #42
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Great Ride report. Thanks for sharing with us.
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #43
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

The day started out normal enough. A shower, breakfast and some reading but by 1pm there were IVs, respirators and catheters. Blood and vomit.

I got up this morning and was planning on heading north east, close to the Honduras border. I was feeling bit lazy and when check out time (10am) rolled around, it was easier to just pay for another night and relax.

I worked on the bike for a bit, organized some gear and surfed the web. At noon I walked the block to the beach and the thatch roofed bars and restaurants. I ate lunch, had a few drinks and read while looking at sail boats bobbing in the bay. After an hour or so I paid my tab and started wandering down the beach looking for a lounge chair somewhere to watch the bikini clad sweeties walk by.

While looking for a spot I came across an ice cream shop and went in. The woman behind the counter scooped out what I asked for then asked for her 25 Cordobas. I was poking around in my pocket when 4 local boys ran up from the beach side door yelling. All I caught was "gringo" and "doctoro". The woman behind the counter ignored them and stared at me waiting for the money. I found a bill in my pocket and gave it to her, still not really sure what was going on outside. She slowly started making change. The boys were now frantic, yelling at her. She gave them a yeah, yeah, in a minute look. I poked my head out the door to see a small group of people on the beach but there were literally dozens running toward the group.

I dropped my cone and ran out the door with the lady screaming about my change. Within seconds I was at the group on the beach. People were yelling for a doctor, others just yelling. I pushed a few people out of the way to see a white man in his 60s laying in the sand, eyes rolled back in his head, foam coming out of his mouth. He was blue and cold. I assumed he had washed up in the surf. I pushed several looky loos out if the way.

There was a local woman propping the man up and a blonde woman checking for a pulse. Everyone else was just having a look. The surf was coming in and we were in about 6" of water every time a wave came in. I said we should move him up 50yards so he was out of the water. The local woman said no and a couple english speaking surf kids in the crowd yelled "You shouldn't move him". Of course not knowing if there was anything else wrong with him, not moving him would be best. However if he drown (or continued to drown) because he was in the water still none of the other injures would really matter. I yelled for them to be quiet and organized 4 others to help me move him out of the water.

4 or 5 minutes went by with no sign of an ambulance. This place is small. The hospital is only 2.5 blocks from the beach. One of the waiters from a nearby bar got his truck. 6 of us picked the guy up and placed him in the back of the truck and raced to the hospital. 6 guys, carrying one 240lb guy. Deadweight is tough.

We pulled up, honking and yelling for a doctor. We again picked up the guy and carried him into the waiting room, past the desk and on to a random empty bed.

A couple doctors appeared and a couple nurses too. The local woman that was propping him up back on the beach grabbed a tube off the cart and rammed it down his throat. All I could think was "WTF are you doing?!". As it turns out she's a doctor at the same hospital who was off today and happened to be on the beach. I felt bad for snapping at her earlier.

They pumped his stomach, gave him an oxygen mask, inserted an IV and a catheter. Countless needles Blood dripped from his injection sites, foam from his mouth and sea water from his lungs all dripping on the floor. At that moment I realized that I had lost my sandals somewhere along the way. I was in a Nicaraguan hospital ER with all sorts of body fluids on the floor and I was in bare feet. FUCK. I really hoped I hadn't cut my feet while carrying this guy to the truck or to the hospital bed.

An hour passed. He still hadn't regained consciousness. We was breathing on his own, barely, and had a pulse. He gurgled, moaned and twitched but didn't wake up. I don't know for sure but I suspect he was in the water a long time.

At this point I realized I didn't really need to be there anymore. Honestly I didn't really need to be there ever after we carried him in but the staff kept asking me to hold this, pass them that and keep talking to the guy in english. This barefoot thing was really wigging me out. I had to get out of that room.

I asked the english speaking doctor if they still needed me. She looked at me funny and said "you're just going to leave you friend here?" Now I realized why they hadn't kicked me out of the room sooner. They assumed I was a friend or family. They had/have no idea who this guy was, where he is from or how to contact his family. Sad

That could have been me. Mental note, I really need to get some dog tags made up asap.

The doctor/nurse said no they didn't need me there and thanked me for helping a random stranger. She asked where I was staying and said she'd stop by and tell me how he was doing when she was off work.

So back to the hotel I went for shower. Then back to the beach hoping but not expecting to find my shoes and sunglasses. As I walked up, I saw my sandals. They were sitting nicely on the curb, waiting for me.

I'm drained. Time for dinner and a drink, or 13.

Camel ADV screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 10:56 PM
Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #44
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Good on ya, helping out and all!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #45
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Good on ya, helping out and all!

a buddy of mine and I were talking last night about helping people. Through various stories, the bottom line of it was.... It's what we do. Why did you stop and help/give him gas/change his tire, why did you stop the one guy from getting F'ed up by five guys..... Because. It's what we do.

Somebody thanks you Cory.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote