Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #1156
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I bought the manifolds from Mike's also, but I thought they were ill fitting and the rubber was kinda junky.I wound up plugging the vacumn lines on the old ones.I bought his petcock and the tank/petcock o-ring was crap and had to scavenge the old one.I plugged the other side of the tank with a blind plug I made up.I've got the VM 36's but should have got the 34's.Mine runs rich also and mileage has dropped down to about 38mpg.I see you have dual disks on the front.Come that way? I added mine
Australia got duel discs from '76 onwards, both standards & specials

My '76 in '79, down on the west coast of Tasmania, on the way to Queenstown from Hobart, @ King William Saddle,
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #1157
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,310
Classic!!!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #1158
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Two big trips planned for next year, first is as a back-up for a mate doing the Scrapheap Adventure Ride @ Easter, out back'o Bourke

lots of red sand to play in!

I'll be taking the trailer as a gear-carrier for the trip, Strudy is riding a '91 DT175 which he's rebuilding for the trip, he bought three for $50au & hopes to have one out of the three for the run

Second trip is to 'Big Red' sandune west of Birdsville in western Queensland, on the edge of the Simpson desert, to see off a good bloke on his 50th birthday, & spread his ashes out there
'Tugboat Bill' died earlier this year & the ADV community in Australia miss him badly,
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 02:12 AM
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #1159
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
Looks like it has the stock carbs and diaphram petcocks,I hated that system so bad I threw it in the garbage and bought Mikuni round slides and K&N filters.If they work you get get great gas mileage,if they don't....gggrrrrrrrrr,the mikuni's really opened her up
Yeah I'm not a fan of the petcocks right now (REALLY wish they had a prime setting), but I'm not yet at the point of wanting to trash them.

I need to get a couple things sorted before I start putting miles on her. I need to figure out why the headlight isn't working, change the clutch pushrod seal (parts on order), properly solder a turn signal wire I quickly attached just to make sure it was working, change the oil & filter, clean and lube the chain, and maybe change the fork seals. There was some seepage on one of the forks, so I cleaned it up and I'm going to see if it seeps more before I change the fork seals.

I'm taking my time with her, and letting her tell me what I need to do. Glad that it's cold around here so I'm not feeling in any big hurry to get her on the road immediately.

EDIT: I'm also starting to look around for an alternator puller so I can upgrade the alternator without damaging anything. It has the stock charging system, but in one of the boxes the previous owner gave me, there's a Hughs permanent magnet kit that I'd like to install. PO said that the charging system is good as is, but I'm told the alternators are a weak point on these bikes.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!

soldierguy screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:14 AM
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #1160
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 558
EDIT: I'm also starting to look around for an alternator puller so I can upgrade the alternator without damaging anything. It has the stock charging system, but in one of the boxes the previous owner gave me, there's a Hughs permanent magnet kit that I'd like to install. PO said that the charging system is good as is, but I'm told the alternators are a weak point on these bikes.[/QUOTE]

I fully recommend that swap. Mine provided perfect service for the two years that it was my daily rider without a hiccup- I had gone full batteryless to boot.

I may have a puller laying around. Seeing as how I don't own an xs anymore if I find it it's yours.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #1161
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Go over to xs650.com and look in the classified section. There are a couple pullers floating around and I believe one in a free tool thread. I think the idea is when you are done with it you ship it to the next person in line. The conversion is well worth the effort.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #1162
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Yeah I'm not a fan of the petcocks right now (REALLY wish they had a prime setting), but I'm not yet at the point of wanting to trash them.

I need to get a couple things sorted before I start putting miles on her. I need to figure out why the headlight isn't working, change the clutch pushrod seal (parts on order), properly solder a turn signal wire I quickly attached just to make sure it was working, change the oil & filter, clean and lube the chain, and maybe change the fork seals. There was some seepage on one of the forks, so I cleaned it up and I'm going to see if it seeps more before I change the fork seals.

I'm taking my time with her, and letting her tell me what I need to do. Glad that it's cold around here so I'm not feeling in any big hurry to get her on the road immediately.

EDIT: I'm also starting to look around for an alternator puller so I can upgrade the alternator without damaging anything. It has the stock charging system, but in one of the boxes the previous owner gave me, there's a Hughs permanent magnet kit that I'd like to install. PO said that the charging system is good as is, but I'm told the alternators are a weak point on these bikes.
I've had the headlight issue myself,was usually a wire or the 3-prong device the bulb goes into not getting a good connection.If you were inside the headlight fixing the turn signal that may well be what happened.I've got a complete spare bike laying around here so if it needs something small just give me a yell.
You're correct about the charging system,mines never left me for dead but it's been close.I used to scan ebay snatching up cheap stators and I'm down to my last spare now.I'm going to google this Hugh's perm.magnet thingy

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #1163
retiredgentleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
The stock alternator has been working fine for me for 6 years now. Its the original stator and rotor on my 1978 SE. I use some spacers on the cover plate to allow for some cooling air flow.

retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #1164
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post
The stock alternator has been working fine for me for 6 years now. Its the original stator and rotor on my 1978 SE. I use some spacers on the cover plate to allow for some cooling air flow.

That's a unique idea! I always figured it was just a typical Yamaha plague,anything with brushes or windings was garbage.Up until sometime in the 80's they never built a starting or charging system worth a damn,

Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #1165
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post

Never had too many problems with brush alternators, once regulator/rectifier is sorted [replace with solid state unit], all is good
couldn't do that spacer trick with mine, due to the amount of dirt riding I do, on both bikes!
Cheers
Baza
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #1166
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the offers and the comments! Very much appreciated. Once I get to a point of doing the alternator job, I'll post up here (and on xs650.com). For all I know there may be an alternator puller in one of the boxes I got from the PO...haven't had time yet to sort through everything in the boxes. From the looks of the boxes, I think there's enough to darn near build a complete engine and have spares leftover, plus tail lights, mufflers, several oil changes, etc.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #1167
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Thanks for the offers and the comments! Very much appreciated. Once I get to a point of doing the alternator job, I'll post up here (and on xs650.com). For all I know there may be an alternator puller in one of the boxes I got from the PO...haven't had time yet to sort through everything in the boxes. From the looks of the boxes, I think there's enough to darn near build a complete engine and have spares leftover, plus tail lights, mufflers, several oil changes, etc.
I checked out the site with the stator (Hughe's?) and they said they include the puller so yeah look in the boxes!!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #1168
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Woo hoo! Inaugural ride around the neighborhood this morning!

I knew she ran...when I looked at her before I bought her, she fired right up. Apparently during the trip down from Denver, all the gas evaporated/shook out of the carbs and fuel line.

This morning was the first chance this week that I've had to tinker around a bit with her (besides the initial cleaning). Keep in mind I'm basically an idiot and have forgotten everything I ever knew about carburetors. It took me a little bit of thinking this week to remember that there is no fuel pump...gravity fed, vacuum operated fuel delivery. As soon as I remembered that, I checked the carbs and fuel filters...totally dry. Didn't have time to do anything about it this week, but it's a beautiful Saturday morning and I've got the time today. A quick siphon later, and she ran like a champ around the neighborhood!

It's amazing what a little gas will do when siphoned out of the tank and put directly into the carbs & fuel line.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #1169
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Does it have a vacuum operated petcock that has lines going to the carb boots? If so you can change to a regular petcock or modify the existing one and plug the barbs in the boots. The barbs also come in handy for balancing the carbs.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #1170
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet428 View Post
Does it have a vacuum operated petcock that has lines going to the carb boots? If so you can change to a regular petcock or modify the existing one and plug the barbs in the boots. The barbs also come in handy for balancing the carbs.
Yep, that's what she looks like. For now they're ok...primed the carbs and fuel lines manually and she fired right up, and after she sat for a bit, she fired up again. She's definitely getting fuel now. So I'll just keep an eye on the stock stuff for now and figure out if I want to do any upgrades later.

However, at the moment she's back in the garage.

Looks like the charging system wasn't quite as robust as the PO said. Within a couple of blocks, she started running just like my old '69 VW bug did when the alternator shat itself. So now the priority is to find the installation instructions for the Hughs alternator online, make sure I've got everything, and then install that. While I'm in there, I'll put in the new clutch pushrod seal and shifter seal, since those should be arriving on Tuesday, along with some other miscellaneous stuff. No worries though...I figure that this is part of owning an old bike: figuring out what needs to be done right away, what can wait, and working up the to-do list to get her where I'd like her.

Actually now that I think about it, the first priority of the day is to jump on the Stelvio and ride...it's too nice of a day to be sitting in the garage tinkering.

My Wee-Strom Hack