Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #1426
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 6,998

Heading to the 'Far Cairn' rally on 20th, centre of NSW, red soil country, flat country run,

Camping @ Tottenham showground, very civilised rally site compared to most in Australia

Getting close to the start of the outback of Australia, taking the trailer behind 'White Beast', plenty of photos when I get back
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #1427
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769

Hurricaine style body , Made in the U.S.A.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #1428
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Like that style, still being made?
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #1429
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

$959

X650 Storm conversion kit for 650 Yamahas

Last updated on Saturday, August 31, 2013

The X650 Storm™ is the newest conversion kit in the world for the 650 Yamaha. By agreement with my former company, Omar's, I could not produce another street tracker or a café kit for the 650. That left the 'sport custom' category. The new kit is based on Craig Vetter's X75 Triumph Hurricane from 1972. The Storm will piss off Hurricane owners...but they'll just have to deal with it. You have to admit the Hurricane is now an iconic motorcycle. Vetter did a sterling job in creating what was in 1972, a break through design. The Storm converts the look of 1977 to 1981 650 Specials and 650 Standards from 1974 to 1979.
The X650 Storm™ was not intended to be a dead-on copy of the Hurricane. The Hurricane had a small and impractical tank. Mine has about twice the capacity at about 3 gallons. The Hurricane rear lacked body mass with color to balance the tank. My kit balances front to rear with body work to achieve better overall visual harmony. Perhaps the best feature of the Hurricane was the swooped seat shape. That I used with relish because most body lines of the period tended to follow the frame lines.

The seat drops below the frame lines and is visually arresting. Although the fantastic seat looks long, I don't recommend two up. It is attached in the front with 6mm and ¼-20 bolts which may not be strong enough to support weight on the very rearward section.
The body parts come to you in white gelcoat, just sand, prime and paint paint. The tank is coated to be ethanol proof. The separate tank and tail are designed to look like a seamless one piece body but two smaller pieces keeps the shipping costs down.
I think you will enjoy the crowd attention the Storm will draw, the modest price and ease of installation.

Instant Storm Makeover

Tom Rosenberg from Union, KY ordered a Storm kit from me with a taillight and graphics (when I was making orange body parts). He received his Storm kit last Thursday and had it on the bike on Friday. He said, "It's great! I love it! I took it to a local charity ride and it was a hit".
He kindly sent these before/after photos so you can ponder whether you want new clothes for your old 650 too. (Just sayin')

Pricing

Tank and tail with seat$959.00
Chrome signals$36.00 for 4
Graphics uninstalled$120.00
Graphics installedadd $35.00
Custom graphics colors$160.00
Beauty plates$69/pair, in stock
Brake/Taillight$29.00
Left side license plate holderunknown, in development
Tarozzi fork brace$145.00
Low western bars$39.00
Storm bars$39.00
Napoleon bar end mirror, in black$49.00
Progressive 12 series shocks$249.00
Storm exhaustAscot system from 650 Central
209-533-4346 (about $300)

Kit Parts
  • Tank: mounts, petcocks and gas cap and Tail piece with the world's coolest seat
  • Graphics for tank and tail
  • Frame cover plates
  • Vintage style Progressive shocks
  • Tarozzi fork brace
  • Napoleon bar end mirror
  • Minimalist brake/taillight
  • Side mount license plate holder
  • 2-into2 chrome upswept megaphone exhaust

Features

Nifty little (illegal) tailight/brake light. See how seat cushion attaches with Velcro.Seat base with Velcro

Optional Accessories

Frame cover up plates

Superbo Tarozzi fork brace. It comes in heat treated black but you can paint as I did.
Storm bars have the same overall shape of western bars that were popular in the '70s. However for greater comfort, these have a low rise and they are wide. You will like them and the price: $39.00 Napoleon bar end mirror pivots in two axis so you can get the right sight picture and tuck it away in your garage.

Progressive 14 Series shocks are designed with smaller diameter bodies for the vintage look but retain modern velocity sensing multi-staged valving. The spring rate of these chrome 75-120 springs is on the cushy side for we older riders who average around 190 pounds. If you weigh more just crank up the adjustable spring preload. Now mind you these shocks are not designed for two-up riding principally because I don't recommend that with my tail and cushion. Shock kit comes with shock eye spacers and an adjustment tool.
Below is a picture story of product development

The tail design uses the stock rear fender and taillight. This saves too because I don't have to include a taillight into the design or price. Another thing that will save you a ton of money is the fact that I make the body parts in orange. You won't have to spend 400 bucks on a paint job. I will make the body parts in white for those of you who want to do a custom paint job. I will have a graphics kit which give a professional, finished look to your conversion.
You should be able to install the entire body on a Saturday. You pull off the stock tank, seat and sissy bar. You'll be cutting off some seat rail tabs but the rear loop stays. Once you've sprayed your cuts in black you just slap the body on and hook up the fuel lines. I'll supply the petcocks and gas cap. By Sunday you should be riding.

The photo on the right shows my progress at week 8. The parts have been sanded to 2000 grit and polished to a glass-like luster. The next step is to take them to the glass guy for molds to be built. As of 7/26 the molds have been finished. Now I have to make the tank bottom and work out the graphics kit.
If you would like to get on my 'Up Date' list, write me at litadv@aol.com This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

It's week 9, and the tank top and tail fender molds are done. Next I have to make the tank bottom, seat base molds and mold for the seat foam. I am cheating a bit by painting the inside of the wheels and hubs orange but I think this touch of color will add to what basically is a body dropped on a stock bike.

Most of you will do custom changes beyond what you will see on my showcase bike. My showcase bike will show the basic conversion without many deviations, the kind of bike most of you will build. This basic approach will also show how radical a stock bike can be changed with just a new body on it.

Since I showed the last photos I have been waiting for parts to come out of the mold. That has happened. I am pleased with the overall look but I have to rework the molds. It seems that fiberglass suppliers are not used to precision molded parts. The gap between tank and tail has to be tightened up so both pieces look like a one piece body.
You'll notice how I am using orange inside the rims and inside the brake drums to add a subtle accent to the overall package.
The bodywork is spartan because I have no graphics to define the lines and give the bike a finished OEM look. You can see the swoopy lines for the seat-the seat is really going to help this kit. What with reworking the molds and the other things I need to do-I know the finished kit is some months off. If you put me on the rack, I'd guess December-January.

9/12/12. Today for the first time the new seat is shown on the Storm body. The remaining element needed is the graphics which will be done in two grays-one dark, the other light. Once graphics are done I will have studio photos done for the formal product introduction.

10/1/12. I think this project to develop this Storm conversion kit for 650 Yamahas has taken one year. There are so many little and big pieces to jiggle to make a completed whole. Now for the first time you can get how this kit will look.
You see it with body on, the seat in place, the exhaust system on and a small idea of the graphics we have chosen in two metallic grays. I should have a professional photos to show you here about the end of October.
Before the official product introduction I want to have kits in stock so when you call, I can ship the week you order. I have always been behind so maybe this is wishful thinking but it is my goal. I'll talk at you later when I have more to show.
~ Phil

Frame Plates

The section of a Yamaha 650 frame where the foot pegs and axle are located is an eye-sore on all 650 models. I developed Ugly plates for the Omar street tracker way back when but these are different and totally dedicated to the Storm kit. It won't work with a stock bike or any other kind of 650 custom.
The top portion is bent out then in to meet with the bottom edge of the Storm tail piece. Now this is just a prototype. If you don't like it or wish changes, let me know now at litadv@aol.com This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
Chrome Front Fender

This fender has been requested by Tom Brattskar, my European distributor. He has found it very difficult to find a pristine stock front fender over there for the X650 Storm he is building. He knew that I am going to introduce a new Yamaha 650 kit, the Beach Storm in the winter of 2013/14 and he wanted the fender from that 2014 kit early for his X650 Storm. Here is a peek at it in a pre-mold stage.
Tarozzi Fork Brace (ter-oz-ee)

These Italian braces are top quality pieces. They are designed for strength and ease of installation. The black color is what happens when aluminum is heat treated for toughness. I recommend you paint the brace silver to hide it so it's less dominant when surrounded by the chrome fender and shiny forks. Or heck you can leave yours black or paint it orange or whatever color.
It fits: SR500 1980-1995, XS650 1977-81, XS650SE 1980-1981 all with 35mm tubes x 55mm sliders. I will be selling these for about $145.

Motorcycle Products

Engine Jeweling

Up here in the north country we have a nationally known custom bike builder. His name is Kevin Rickbeil. He has the awesome talent to detail the smallest piece of metal into a work of art.
You can see his work in this Yamaha 650 engine. Not only was it entirely rebuilt but the externals got his jewel treatment.
Now if you would like to have Kevin do this to your engine (and it doesn’t have to be 650), give him a shout directly-you don’t have to go through me.
Kevin Rickbeil
43065 County Road One
Rice, MN 56367
320-393-3062
Motorhead650@msn.com This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

(952) 935-8833

Words and photos © 2013 Phil Little Racing Back to Top ↑

Here you go. It's pretty new, I think.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #1430
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

On this one and others I've seen, the builders persist in using the Special model of the bike with the 16" rear wheel that just does not look right for the lines of the bike.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #1431
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
I do not know what's going on here. I had two photo's of my bike. Now they are gone. Hummm. Did I do something wrong?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #1432
10ecjed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
M Bike is here!

You found it. WOW I could not find the photo. Thank you so much. Where was it?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #1433
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
You found it. WOW I could not find the photo. Thank you so much. Where was it?
The links you used picked up extra crap - a second "http" string - which I removed. I grew curious about the problem since about half your posts are about being unable to see your pictures... ;)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #1434
10ecjed
Adventurer

Thanks for helping me out.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #1435
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I just cleaned up my 79, I had been riding a lot of dirt / gravel roads with it recently and decided to get it looking nice again:

Its a 1979 Special II, but I put a 'standard' model seat on it to get a more 'classic' look. The 'upside down' clubman bars are super comfortable too...
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #1436
10ecjed
Adventurer

Now it's ready to get dirty again. The vicious cycle.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #1437
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
I just cleaned up my 79, I had been riding a lot of dirt / gravel roads with it recently and decided to get it looking nice again:

Its a 1979 Special II, but I put a 'standard' model seat on it to get a more 'classic' look. The 'upside down' clubman bars are super comfortable too...

That looks good. How hard was it to adapt a standard seat to a special?

I'm looking for something to replace the ancient enduro seat on mine that the pan is about rusted in half.

D
Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #1438
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
That looks good. How hard was it to adapt a standard seat to a special?

I'm looking for something to replace the ancient enduro seat on mine that the pan is about rusted in half.

D
+1
I'm interested in how you did the conversion, I've done the opposite - special onto standard, probably a few pages back now
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #1439
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 871
Laugh

OKAY - been about 1/3 of a century since I owned my last XS650... it was a "B" when I was about 18yrs old

So a scruffy 1978 Special which is a runner turns up locally & I go have a look

Its tatty, black and runs - tried it up the road and back - so I make an offer.......... he accepts & its mine

As it had been sat for a couple of years and only just put back on the road it needs some work I had some of that naff exhaust wrap and a spare seat off my W650 - which fitted quite well.........

Work in progress..... getting a set of PWK carbs & a Boyer igniton to replace them shite points
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #1440
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
OKAY - been about 1/3 of a century since I owned my last XS650... it was a "B" when I was about 18yrs old

So a scruffy 1978 Special which is a runner turns up locally & I go have a look

Its tatty, black and runs - tried it up the road and back - so I make an offer.......... he accepts & its mine

As it had been sat for a couple of years and only just put back on the road it needs some work I had some of that naff exhaust wrap and a spare seat off my W650 - which fitted quite well.........
Work in progress..... getting a set of PWK carbs & a Boyer igniton to replace them shite points
Boyer Ignition failed in one of my XS' , warped the backing plate on the pick-ups,
probably from one of my sunny day rides during summer here, 40 degree celsius temps don't help to cool engines
Found the Pamco system very good, so far, only possible problems; pins come out of the pick-up disc - bit of selastic or make a retaining disc,
& it uses the old mechanical advance/retard system, keep an eye on wear in these & it's not a major issue,
A Special is a good base for any project, have a look back through previous threads on here & you've find some interesting bikes
What style of bike are you thinking of?, 'White Beast' is a 'Tourer' - 'Kenny Krazyhorse' is capable of changing with little notice;- from an 'Adventure Tourer' to an enduro entrant, in probably an hour - including tyre changes,
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 07:46 PM