Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #2521
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb772 View Post
This is the raw video of Scott, Mike and me coming back from the Cove Lake overlook detour. This was probably the only muddy section we encountered all day.
Good vid Phil. Did you git the infamous water crossing since you were right behind me?
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #2522
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
Good vid Phil. Did you git the infamous water crossing since you were right behind me?

I did not get your water crossing, sorry. I believe I have Bo crossing but I will need to check. I have been turning my GoPro off and on to save the battery, so it's been a challenge to know when the good shots are coming up. With a little more experience maybe I can keep it on more and just reach up and hit record with the trail looks promising. Tim, this is your opening for GoPro vs Contour comments

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #2523
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashit View Post
Tim thanks for going to black and white when I went full chicken sh** and pulled over.
Did not do that on purpose. For some reason when I select that transition mode from one segment to the next on Windows Live Movie Maker it does one clip in black and white randomly. It is a little different but I prefer the colored video myself. It was good to meet you. Hope to see you on future rides. A little smaller bike might be in order tho. You would have had a real hard time on a couple of sections on last months ride. But there are always ways to go around those sections I guess so nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb772 View Post
I did not get your water crossing, sorry. I believe I have Bo crossing but I will need to check. I have been turning my GoPro off and on to save the battery, so it's been a challenge to know when the good shots are coming up. With a little more experience maybe I can keep it on more and just reach up and hit record with the trail looks promising. Tim, this is your opening for GoPro vs Contour comments
Great video Phil! I liked it a lot I found the same thing to be true with your YouTube video as with my Vimeo. If you click on the title of the video you get the video streaming directly from YouTube and not thru the ADVRider thread. Much better quality in full screen. I like the throatier sound of your bike too because of the larger displacement. Good stuff Phil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
I didn't get your crossing either. You were pushing out when I got there. Didn't have the camera on either.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 08:20 PM
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #2524
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Looked thru the few photos I have.... nothing that hasn't already been posted so don't guess I'll throw em up.

Had a great time. My first "ride to" event on the DR. It did great.... but 240 miles in one day is pushin' the limits of my Butt Tolerance. Anything further and I'd best trailer... I was about 55 to 60 from Lake Sylvia so not too bad....but guess I need to toughen up the ole' rear end to reach BoHawk levels of IronButt.
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #2525
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I have had a couple of 390+ mile days so I would say it more of an aluminum butt. I can actually ride more hours without getting monkey butt on my DR with the Sargent seat than I can on my V-Strom with its stock seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkieRider View Post
Had a great time. My first "ride to" event on the DR. It did great.... but 240 miles in one day is pushin' the limits of my Butt Tolerance. Anything further and I'd best trailer... I was about 55 to 60 from Lake Sylvia so not too bad....but guess I need to toughen up the ole' rear end to reach BoHawk levels of IronButt.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #2526
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
LAKE SYLVIA RIDE

Pete and I left Dover about 6:15, picked up Vic in Atkins and rolled in to the Lake Sylvia campground a little before 8. We had quite a selection of bikes for this ride.

Pete – KLR650
Matt – NC700X
Gordon – Versys
Chris, David & Greg – XR650
Scott, Tracy & me – DR650
Mark, Mike, Phil, Tim & Vic – KTM’s of various sizes from 450 to 690.

We started off with some pavement to warm the tires up.

And then it was onto the forestry roads, which were in perfect condition for a large group to remain close together (at least while I was the pokey leader).

The temperature was about perfect, too, but there was not much sunshine.

Here we are at our first stop waiting on Tim and Vic to return with Tim’s AWOL fender bag. Tim made it back but Vic’s KTM seemed to be having fueling problems so he bailed out.

The next stop was a few miles off the planned track at the overlook on the bluff over the South Fourche Lafave River just east of Cove Creek Lake. Here is a picture of Mike taking a picture of Mike or in modern terms, a selfie.

I do not know what is going on here with Mark, Greg and Pete but it must have been funny.

Forked Mountain (Mt. Doom?) to the south a few miles.

I surrendered the lead to Scott after this. I was in mid pack for a while and folks were piling up behind me so I went back to my normal position of sweep.

Chris thought this was a bundle of cash and turned around to pick it up. I think it was part of someone’s rain gear.

Matt on the NC700X and Gordon on the Versys handled the forestry roads quite well with their street-biased tires. Their riding style was different, though. You would not want to be too close behind Gordon, if his rear tire was a knobby. I am following Matt on the only two-track we rode.

After taking a break on the Cove Creek Lake dam, we got on Hwy 7 for a few miles.

About ¾’s of the group overshot this turn off and the rapid application of brakes resulted in Tim’s KTM having an intimate encounter with Greg’s XR.

Forrest Road 83 had some really long straightaways, which resulted in Matt and I being rapidly left behind.

When we came out on Hwy 314, Matt rode the pavement to Jessieville since the Dry Fork Creek crossing was coming up next. I was still bringing up the rear and when I got to the crossing, Mike was just pushing his bike out. He went across where I did on the preride but it was quite a bit deeper now.

So now what are we going to do?

Not wanting to leave Mike potentially stranded with a stalled bike on the other side, we started looking for a way across. It was a little shallower just downstream from where Mike crossed, which he verified when he waded back over to get a spark plug socket. Phil moved a few of the bigger rocks but then someone had to go first. So I figured, no guts, no glory and eased across first. It was a little slick and the rocks made it hard hold a given line but I made it to the other side. The last obstacle was some really deep muck where you came ashore but the mighty DR managed to power through it.

David crossed after I did.

So who is next?

Well, I guess this feller is. He casually crossed where Mike did while Phil waits for the bow wave to subside.

Phil made it across and through the muck without incident.

Then it was Scott’s turn. He kind of attacked the crossing and got bounced off course a little bit. He managed to keep it upright, though, but had a little trouble getting through the muck on to solid ground.

When in doubt, gas it.

When I looked back across, there was no one lined up to be next. There was no way Gordon was going to make it across on his Versys but I figured the rest of the crew would attempt it. But noooooo……., they did not want to get there feet wet. I was trying to think of a polite way to describe those that did cross and those that did not. I figured it would be best to do it pictorially:
Those that did…..

Those that did not…..

Mike’s KTM roared back to life after being dewatered and we were on our way again to meet up with the uh……….other guys. Tracy had ridden on to Jessieville with Gordon, so now there were 9 of us. If anyone is really keeping count, there should be 10 of us. I forgot to mention Chris had left earlier but I did not hear why.

Apparently, everyone was really hungry as the pace picked up considerably. Fortunately, the roads and trails were fairly straight and in good condition for the most part.

We rolled in to Jessieville a little before 2 and found The Shack was packed. We did not get out of there until nearly 3.

The next stop was on top of Crystal Mountain. Tim found a camping stool but decided to leave it since he would have to trade his KTM for a KLR to carry it.

I was following Pete but he overshot the turn for the trail to the top of Crystal Mountain, so he was behind me on the way up. However, he never showed up. When we went back down the trail, we found him about half way up, attempting to bungee his rack to his fender. Seems a bolt had fallen out.

After most of the day under a helmet, Tim’s attempt to fix his hair for this picture was not too successful. Mike’s attempt was………well, why bother.

Pete’s back pack had to reside on his back for the rest of the day.

I was not sure if Pete was giving me the peace sign, the number of turns he had overshot (his GPS rig was his coat pocket, I think), or his rating of the ride.

Then I remembered the decal on his rear fender so I figured it had to be the peace sign.

When we got back to the Lake Sylvia campground, Tom and his wife were there. He looked remarkably good for someone that had recently suffered some pretty severe injuries. After visiting with everyone for a few minutes, Pete and I bid them farewell and headed back to Dover.

I am glad everyone seemed to enjoy the ride. Wish we could have ridden all of it, but I think we pretty well hit the best parts as far as the scenery went.

bohawk screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 09:17 PM Reason: There to Their
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #2527
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,658
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #2528
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,391
As always Bo, excellent report. Thanks for taking us along.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #2529
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Great write up and photos Bo. Always look forward to and enjoy your reports.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #2530
Crashit
GO HARD OR NOT AT ALL

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Did not do that on purpose. For some reason when I select that transition mode from one segment to the next on Windows Live Movie Maker it does one clip in black and white randomly. It is a little different but I prefer the colored video myself. It was good to meet you. Hope to see you on future rides. A little smaller bike might be in order tho.
Would love a KTM 350 that 690 really was an eye catcher tho, gotta test ride one of those. Hoping for a smaller bike once im done using the Versys for work. Really the only reason I've held on to it so long is the fact it brings in a bankroll of some sort every two weeks. Hopefully at the years end I will be visiting the OC forum.

Ill be back good to meet all of you!
Crashit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #2531
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post
lake sylvia ride

those that did…..

those that did not…..

Great feline analogy Bo!

Then I remembered the decal on his rear fender so i figured it had to be the peace sign.

What can I say? Born in the '50s, Child of the '60s!

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas

wfopete screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 05:43 AM
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #2532
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,065
Laughed out loud (lol'd as the kids say) at the creek crossing commentary Bo! I want to be you when I grow up.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #2533
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
So is the Bull Shoals ride on for next weekend? Hadn't heard if Bo and Oleary were able to scope out a track or not....
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #2534
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkieRider View Post
So is the Bull Shoals ride on for next weekend? Hadn't heard if Bo and Oleary were able to scope out a track or not....
Bo and I rode most of it today and got a soaking for our efforts. We rode the last 10 miles or so in a torrential downpour with quite a bit of wind. Needless to say we were soaked. Got to the Gas Station/Deli at St. Joe where we started from and left quite a puddle of water in their eating area from our drenched clothing which we shed right there and hung on their chairs. They didn't seem to mind too much. Just got the mop out and put a "Wet Floor" sign in front of our table. The route I laid out needs a little work so it will be a day or two before it is posted.

We rode the Rush Creek Rd to see what kind of shape it was in and there was a couple of trees down right before you exit onto the county road and we decided to ride down the creek bed .....

and get back to the road using this path,,,,

instead of this one.

Hope to see you all there.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #2535
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Boy, am I ready to go to page 170, it takes my poor little laptop 30 mins to load this page.....

Where exactly is the camping area?? On the lake or on the river????

Think it will be full or spaces available?? It just might be cool enough to tent camp, a first for AR in Aug..