Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #1471
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,689
so is it back to camp each nite or find a coze spot on the way?
would be a great birthday present to myself. I gain a year that monday
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #1472
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Thanks Charlie and Albie.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #1473
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Come on out JT. We have sag wagon to carry gear....see www.arkansas500.com.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #1474
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Bump.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #1475
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 490
Lake Sylvia

Went by there yesterday on the way back from visiting my parents in Texas. Nice, out-of-the-way area with actual full hookups for an RV (electric/water, no sewer but there is a dump station). That's sort of surprising for a Nat'l Forest campground that is remote. Does it typically fill up on weekends? The camping area was pretty deserted yesterday afternoon (Memorial Day at around 3 PM), though the swimming area was packed.

So what is the latest on acquiring campsites? I take it those are on a first come basis? Probably won't pull the camper down there and will stick to the original plan of just coming down there Saturday... but it never hurts to know these things.

Greg
Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #1476
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
Went by there yesterday on the way back from visiting my parents in Texas. Nice, out-of-the-way area with actual full hookups for an RV (electric/water, no sewer but there is a dump station). That's sort of surprising for a Nat'l Forest campground that is remote. Does it typically fill up on weekends? The camping area was pretty deserted yesterday afternoon (Memorial Day at around 3 PM), though the swimming area was packed.

So what is the latest on acquiring campsites? I take it those are on a first come basis? Probably won't pull the camper down there and will stick to the original plan of just coming down there Saturday... but it never hurts to know these things.

Greg
The campground is nice w/paved road all the way up to it and dirt road, on the other side. Last Saturday, around 1pm, every campsite w/ electric was full, but 1 and there were only about 5 tent sites left. I plan to stake out a couple campsites, Thursday night, 6/13. Cell service is very poor, unless you get up high. The campground host is a guy named Jerry(5013038517), if you have questions about RV's or availability. The lake is creek fed and there are motor restrictions for boats(basically trolling motors only). The water should be clean and cool for swimming after a long day's ride. The NF allows for open camping, if someone prefers to camp outside of the campground, like we did last Saturday because the campground was swarming like an ant hill.

Thx..nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #1477
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Wonder if it was full because of the holiday weekend or is it normally that way? I considered bringing my generator just in case, but I did notice that the drives on the sites are rather short. My camper will fit but my truck will block the road while I unhook.

Greg
Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #1478
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wonder if it was full because of the holiday weekend or is it normally that way? I considered bringing my generator just in case, but I did notice that the drives on the sites are rather short. My camper will fit but my truck will block the road while I unhook.

Greg
It's my observation, that as long as the weather is good for camping, there's going to be a crowd. I wouldn't worry about "blocking" to unhook. It happens and people will work around, to accommodate.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #1479
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
Kewl looking spot! I see you had a cave right behind your van there Nate! Do a little spillunkerin? I can't wait to explore this area. The ride report that Zack did last weekend with Dogjaw and the Dumas boys is right in that area as well. Forked Mountain. Lookin good.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1480
IceBikeDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Sylvia campground occupancy report

I went by the campground this morning (Wednesday 29-may, 9:30). 3 sites of 27 were being used. Just saying
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #1481
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Kewl looking spot! I see you had a cave right behind your van there Nate!
The picture is a bit deceiving. The wall behind is recessed and blacked out from wood smoke but the campsite is awesome. The waterfalls are about a 15 minute easy hike from the site.

Thx...np

Old 05-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #1482
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
The picture is a bit deceiving. The wall behind is recessed and blacked out from wood smoke but the campsite is awesome. The waterfalls are about a 15 minute easy hike from the site.

Thx...np
Nate,

This was your primitive camping site this weekend? I'd like to know where that creek and falls are.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #1483
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBikeDave View Post
I went by the campground this morning (Wednesday 29-may, 9:30). 3 sites of 27 were being used. Just saying
I don't think we will have a problem. It is Fathers Day that Sunday! I am not sure that will be more or less campers than usual. Like Nate said, there are plenty of places to primitive camp so we should be good.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #1484
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Hey Tim, do you have any idea of what this ride will encompass, that is, what type of terrain will it be other than the generalistic "mountainous", "gravel", etc? Will there be much in the way of highway stuff? The reason I ask is I have a buddy who has a pseudo-street legal KTM 350XCF-W that might be interested in riding this but is limited on top speed (hitting 60-65 or beyond is a push for it).

WFO Pete also asked me the same question but his is more of what bike to bring... KLR or Super Tenere.

Greg
Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #1485
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Hey Tim, do you have any idea of what this ride will encompass, that is, what type of terrain will it be other than the generalistic "mountainous", "gravel", etc? Will there be much in the way of highway stuff? The reason I ask is I have a buddy who has a pseudo-street legal KTM 350XCF-W that might be interested in riding this but is limited on top speed (hitting 60-65 or beyond is a push for it).
I would not think there will be that much highway stuff in the route. I try to limit the slab as much as possible but as you know it is impossible to eliminate all of it just due to the logistics of getting from here to there. I plan on preriding the route next weekend. It looks like a high probablility of rain this Saturday. I will have a better handle on it after that. I will let you know.
Colorado/Moab 2012