Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #136
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy19 View Post
Ian,
After riding my 690 almost 3000 miles from San Francisco to Atlanta, I've seen the limitations of the stock light. Any pictures of stock light low/high vs the new lights hid/ halogen and hid/hid? I also love the idea of being able to raise and lower the wind screen.
The speedo mounting issue mentioned by Tertsu (re brake line) has come up before and can best be avoided by where you place it on the dash. For this reason, the dash is left clear for you to place the speedo where you want. We have since added this comment to the instructions, so that you can be aware of it and the best way is to lift the bike, so the suspension unloads before choosing the location for the speedo ( and any other items you might mount on the dash)

As for the lights, the standard halogens will give you so much more than your OEM, it's really just a luxury to add the HID. However, the main issue is that the Halogens will use up most of your spare electrical output, so if you intend to run heated stuff, we recommend you choose HID on the low beam. This lamp remains on all the time, so you are bringing down the power draw from 65w to 35w at all times. Most people don't use high that much so the benefit of HID on the high ( as far as power draw is concerned) is less pronounced.

The extra 50% light on the low is nice too ! Obviously twin HID is best, but HID low/Standard Halogen high is the best 'bang for the buck' light combo.

Thanks for considering the fairing

Ian
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #137
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,221
Or just route your brake and speedo rally style:

Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #138
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

It says the kit is P&P. Does that mean the Hi/Low beam are controlled from the OEM handlebar switch?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #139
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
It says the kit is P&P. Does that mean the Hi/Low beam are controlled from the OEM handlebar switch?
Yep, the harness ( for the 690) has the Hitachi style terminal that just plugs into your OEM headlight harness and this triggers the relays which are powered from the battery. Your OEM wiring is left untouched. The harness is also configured with a diode that allows the low beam to remain on when the Hi is selected. Furthermore, the HID harnesses now come with 2 separately fused 'spurs' ( one switched , one unswitched), so your accessorie sockets/GPS are also P&P.

Ian
Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #140
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Probably a dumb question, but...

Where does the change in length of cables occur as the suspension moves?

Quote:
Or just route your brake and speedo rally style:

Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #141
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Have a look here:

Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #142
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

That is clear now!

Yellow Pig, thanks. Does the method you are demonstrating change the life of the rerouted items? Do you think for the woods-oriented riders the widened areas (cable not parallel to tube) might be places for brush and limbs to grab? I really like the concept and I'm going to have to make a decision when my new unit arrives. Are you just finishing the installation with no ride time or have you tried the re-route out?

Pretty bikes too!

Thanks again.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #143
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Wear is not an issue. It flexes in the normal position too.

If I was bushwhacking and riding in very tight trees I would be a bit concerned w/ it catching on a branch.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #144
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Quote:
Wear is not an issue. It flexes in the normal position too.

If I was bushwhacking and riding in very tight trees I would be a bit concerned w/ it catching on a branch.
My fairing has arrived so I will have to decide. Leaning toward standard routing as my hope for riding this bike is more woods than open. To tell the truth, I have a large pile of goodies to put on this bike. I'm finding my full life is slowing down the progress. Not complaining one bit. I've had life the other way too and this is much better. I am looking forward to getting the thrill this bike is giving its other owners.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #145
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Any pictures of the new 690 odometer mounted to the Lynx?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #146
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 847

Stock old style Odo mounted whth GPS and room for my roll chart, there room for just about any odo. I'm replacing this one with new unit or possible Trailtech wich has everything the new odo has plus a few extra functions. fits better too.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #147
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Hey Ian,

Two more questions:

1- Your website still shows the old version of the fairing on the 690 order page. If one places an order through the website does he get the new or old version?

2- Is it possible to get a dash for the fairing that is not drilled for the brake line. I plan to route my odo & brake line like a rally bike and do not need the hole?

Thanks, Dan

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 05:04 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #148
firedevildog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
turn signals

Just put my Lynx on my 2013, am I missing something where are you guys mounting the turn signals. Can't tell from any of the pictures

Thanks Brian
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #149
Okieboy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tertsu View Post
I have older model Lynx screen on my -11 690R and the lights and wind protection are great. ...but I have experineced problem with tacho (speed meter) placement. Brake lines hit into tacho every time when wheeling or front suspension is streching out. Tacho mounts are already break due that. I managed to fix it but I afraid that it will break again. Anyone have similar experience and is there any way to avoid that? Longer brake lines could be a solution but I don't want to do that.
Venhill will make you a longer brake cable. That's what I did. Contact Chris at Venhill USA. I got a 3" longer hose.
Okieboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #150
firedevildog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Eek brake light

put my Lynx 690 on today now brake light and license light not working checked all pins and connections nothing bent or loose any ideas

and where do you relocate the turn signals on a 2013.

Thanks
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote