Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #91
pottsygs
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Having installed my new fairing I wanted to share a few comments, thoughts and tips.

Is it any good? - The short answer is yes, however there are some issues surrounding the installation and build quality.
  • The lighting is fantastic, even without an HID upgrade
  • The screen works well, allowing higher speeds for longer periods
  • The dashboard placement for GPS is perfect
  • Internal space is available for an Autocom or similar intercom

Installation - Relatively straightforward, it took me about 2.5 hours. Care needs to be taken in re-routing the original loom and relays as well as making sure the long metal light adjusters are not going to rub any insulation away. The instructions provided with the kit are adequate but flawed in these 2 areas:
  • I would suggest that you cut the plug off your lights and fit it to the fairing’s loom, rather than follow the instructions and cut the plug from the bike - if you want to re-fit the old unit (maybe when you sell the bike) it is possible to buy the short lighting loom from a KTM dealer and this method leaves the front section of the fairing easy to unplug for removal.
  • The kit includes 2 allen type cap screws to fit the fairing bottom to your lower triple clamp and the instructions tell you to use these rather than the originals. This is wrong for 2 reasons - small screw heads without washers will cut through the composite and no access is available for a ball ended allen driver. I suggest using the original bolts which have built in washers to spread the load and allow access with a combination spanner. If you use the ring end and then alternate the direction of the open end you can eventually do these fasteners up but this is a bad design and I am going to make a QD alloy plate for the bottom of mine.

Build / fit – Given the price of the unit (and the fact that it is marketed as ready to use) this was disappointing but can be fixed:
  • When I first rode with the unit fitted there was vibration at low revs because the profile of the rear dashboard does not accurately follow the inside of the front fairing panel. The bottom corners of the dash needed to be reduced by around 4mm to fix this.
  • With this sorted I rode again but found the unit bounces a lot on bumps, even quite minor ones on the road, and when this happens the front and rear mouldings collide loudly. I have slit and fitted some thick walled fuel hose to the dash panel’s lower edges and this prevents the banging but in the longer term, especially for off road use, the 2 halves need to be joined with a rubber block screwed to each side. I will make something up myself, unless Britannia fairings respond to this issue themselves.

Summary – I would recommend the unit to anyone who is prepared to do the work needed to make it satisfactory but not to someone who wants an out of the box solution.

Note to Britannia - please get in touch about the required improvements - info@stephenpotts.co.uk
pottsygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #92
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsygs View Post
Having installed my new fairing I wanted to share a few comments, thoughts and tips.

Is it any good? - The short answer is yes, however there are some issues surrounding the installation and build quality.
  • The lighting is fantastic, even without an HID upgrade
  • The screen works well, allowing higher speeds for longer periods
  • The dashboard placement for GPS is perfect
  • Internal space is available for an Autocom or similar intercom

Installation - Relatively straightforward, it took me about 2.5 hours. Care needs to be taken in re-routing the original loom and relays as well as making sure the long metal light adjusters are not going to rub any insulation away. The instructions provided with the kit are adequate but flawed in these 2 areas:
  • I would suggest that you cut the plug off your lights and fit it to the fairing’s loom, rather than follow the instructions and cut the plug from the bike - if you want to re-fit the old unit (maybe when you sell the bike) it is possible to buy the short lighting loom from a KTM dealer and this method leaves the front section of the fairing easy to unplug for removal.
  • The kit includes 2 allen type cap screws to fit the fairing bottom to your lower triple clamp and the instructions tell you to use these rather than the originals. This is wrong for 2 reasons - small screw heads without washers will cut through the composite and no access is available for a ball ended allen driver. I suggest using the original bolts which have built in washers to spread the load and allow access with a combination spanner. If you use the ring end and then alternate the direction of the open end you can eventually do these fasteners up but this is a bad design and I am going to make a QD alloy plate for the bottom of mine.

Build / fit – Given the price of the unit (and the fact that it is marketed as ready to use) this was disappointing but can be fixed:
  • When I first rode with the unit fitted there was vibration at low revs because the profile of the rear dashboard does not accurately follow the inside of the front fairing panel. The bottom corners of the dash needed to be reduced by around 4mm to fix this.
  • With this sorted I rode again but found the unit bounces a lot on bumps, even quite minor ones on the road, and when this happens the front and rear mouldings collide loudly. I have slit and fitted some thick walled fuel hose to the dash panel’s lower edges and this prevents the banging but in the longer term, especially for off road use, the 2 halves need to be joined with a rubber block screwed to each side. I will make something up myself, unless Britannia fairings respond to this issue themselves.

Summary – I would recommend the unit to anyone who is prepared to do the work needed to make it satisfactory but not to someone who wants an out of the box solution.

Note to Britannia - please get in touch about the required improvements - info@stephenpotts.co.uk
Thanks for the feedback on your 690 instal and here's some info on what we've updated recently, which address most of the issues that you came across

1) Good point on the OEM plug for the headlight and will update instructions accordingly.

2) We have recently switched to a Hex head for these as they are much easier to tighten with a ratchet (as you suggest)

3) The dashboards have been modified to avoid this issue. In fact we are having a new design of dashboard made to locate off the front face of the top triple, to avoid having to remove the handlebars. This is to allow for better accomodation of a steering damper and also makes the instal quicker.
I'm a bit concerned about the movement in the fairing that you describe. These units normal mount absolutely solid.

The other significant change since you had yours is the wiring harness. The new harnesses no longer require you to do any wire connections and they also have a ground wire that runs back to the battery along with the power wire, to avoid the need to ground at the headlight area.

Cheers Ian
Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #93
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 251
While I have the universal fit unit on my 690, I can tell you that it is absolutely solid with regards to any bounce, vibration or movement when riding over bumps or rough terrain. Do you have the upper thumbscrews absolutely tight?

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #94
pottsygs
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ian B - thanks for the info here and on email, hope the Adventure Spec team have the updated version available in the UK soon. The move to allow a damper fit and avoiding interruption to the top triple / bar mount machined surfaces sounds like great progress to me. Glad the bottom fastner issue is addressed and I'm pleased the plug suggestion was helpful.

Baja Dave - don't believe all you hear about folk in Ireland, of course the screws are all correctly tightened...
pottsygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #95
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 299
Took the plunge, ordered mine today. If it makes the difference I'm hoping for, the 690E will be my choice for the trip to Colorado this month. Not looking for a Goldwing-level protection, but the variable position of the Lynx shield will be welcome.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #96
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 299
Mounting was per plan, noticeable difference of wind protection and lighting improvement. Worth the money.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #97
sigmund freud
Flying Dutchmen

Oddometer: 33
Use a locknut with bolt for screen and dashboard instead of wing-screw /butterfly screw because of the vibrations!

Hans
sigmund freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #98
sigmund freud
Flying Dutchmen

Oddometer: 33
Use small dampers.
Hans
Attached Images

sigmund freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #99
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 678
To all those with HID's in their Lynx fairings. If the lights fail, do not waste time in taking the out. Delaying pulling them out will result in the lights being coated with a fine white dust from the inside and busted glass where the bulb used to be. Hard to believe but both HID bulbs failed spectacularly for me. Hopefully the replacements Ian sent (thanks!) will last longer.

BTW, is there an up to date install sheet in PDF available for reference?

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #100
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Pix of Mine Installed on 530

I had mine finally installed. I had George at ESP here in So. Cal. do it for me. I have not test ridden yet but will report back when I get the time to do so.

I mounted my gps and 2 powerlet outlets on the cockpit side. Here are the photos:

Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #101
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Question for IanB at Britania

Any chance you all are designing a heavier duty rock light grill/shield for the Lynx lights? I know "stick on" ones come with the unit but I am wondering if there is anything being planned/designed that is heavier duty.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #102
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca View Post
Any chance you all are designing a heavier duty rock light grill/shield for the Lynx lights? I know "stick on" ones come with the unit but I am wondering if there is anything being planned/designed that is heavier duty.
We thought about this before trying the Vinyl covers. I guess we felt that soted the problem and I think largely it has ( although I do know of one lamp that did crack with a particularly big rock). Perhaps we'll take a look at this again, because apart from anything, it would look pretty cool !

It's going to be a ba&*%$!!!!d trying to mount something to that shape though !

Ian

PS The bike looks great !
Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #103
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
We thought about this before trying the Vinyl covers. I guess we felt that soted the problem and I think largely it has ( although I do know of one lamp that did crack with a particularly big rock). Perhaps we'll take a look at this again, because apart from anything, it would look pretty cool !

It's going to be a ba&*%$!!!!d trying to mount something to that shape though !

Ian

PS The bike looks great !
Thanks. Yeah I agree it would give a more aggressive look and be functional. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #104
toniton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackCountryCruizer View Post
Where can I find this hanguards?.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #105
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Handguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniton View Post
Where can I find this hanguards?.
Well the ones on the left with MSR on them are from Malcom Smith Racing.

If you meant the ones attached to the 690, you would do a lot better to ask in the general 690 thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...722987&page=70

This thread is just meant for things related to the Lynx fairing for the 690.