Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
motard80 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
riding a rally with limited budget - sponsoring

Hello guys and girls,

As a motorcycle fanatic, riding a rally always was a dream. I started riding at the age of 16 (now 34) and never stopped since then.

Because I always was fascinated by speed, I ended up racing at national level (track racing) and doing some enduro, instruction,...

I believe now is the time to act as I don't want to look back in 30 years and regretting the fact that I never did what I wanted to do in the beginning.

Now, with a son of 15 months and a brand new house (and the wife of course), my budget is VERY limited. I could spend more, but that is not my intention.

What rally exactly I would participate I don't now yet, but it would be an entrance level rally (Balkan rally, Breslau,...). Mainly to limit the costs (travel distance, level, bike prep,...).

The weapon of choice is a XR400R in very good shape, almost right out of the box condition).

Al this just to give you an idea of my background...

MY main goal is to finish the rally!

Now I would like to have some ideas about sponsoring, partnerships,...

What are my options in order to raise some money/services to participate at the rally?
For example:
- Is a website really necessary? (I don't have any knowledge in webdesgin).
- How can I "sell" my project to possible sponsors?
- What kind company"s should I search (automotive, ...??)
- How to prepare a sponsorfile?

Greetings, Motard
motard80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
The cheapest in cost terms are the Greek events, Hellas and Serres.

Ask yourself why would a company sponsor you? What's in it for them?

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
There used to be a website one could use to connect with potential motorsports sponsors, I'm going by faded memory but I think it was "www.Sponsorhouse.com"...something like that. You created a profile, and could send e-mails to companies to request sponsorship. It worked really well back in 2004...

I just tried to find it, and I couldn't, but seems like they may have changed to Hookit.com? I'd search for something along those lines. Or go down to your local bike shop and get friendly with the owner.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
motard80 OP
Adventurer

Hello there,

In the meantime I have contacted a motorbike magazine with the question if they are interested to bring my story.

Next week we will meet and much depends on there input/cooperation!

I am working on my "sponsorship file" and hopefully next week I have some positive news so we can start contacting other partners and sponsors.

The Hellas/Serres are indeed the most logical rally's to do with my limited budget. Until now I've calculated that I will need to "collect" about 2000 (money or other advantages).

The XR400R is being checked from A to Z but the bike is almost like new! Probably I will keep the bike as standard as possible to avoid expensive costs like suspension updates, costly fairings,...

Old 09-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I have done the Baja300 a few times, total cost me around 1000 euros, incl entry fee and new tires/mouses. Cant get any cheaper than that. And it has defenitly everything you may expect from a rally.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,173
what's the Baja 300?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
beechum1
Grimace Soup

Oddometer: 8,358
quick search comes up with baja Deutz. Not sure if that's what it is though....

http://www.baja-deutschland.de/en/
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:56 AM   #8
motard80 OP
Adventurer

Well the Baja 300 (Germany) seems ideal as practice, but I really need a rally of +5 days.

At this point I see 3 possible events:
HELLAS rally
SERRES rally
ALBANIA rally

Could someone give more info about these rally's? Difference?

motard80 screwed with this post 10-05-2014 at 11:24 AM
Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
When I did Hellas (2013), it was mostly broad gravel tracks through the mountains with easy navigation. Single bivouac.

Albania had really changing conditions, forest, rivers, mountain, grass. Stunning landscapes!

Never did Serres, but from heard it is one of the pretty technical terrain. Lots of navigation. Single bivouac.

Have a look on my youtube channel for footage of Hellas and Albania.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gezwindespoed/videos
Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #10
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 681
I did the Hellas this year. I had booked the services of the Torque Racing Team. Bike transport I did myself as I was based in Switzerland at the time.
Best experience of my life so far. The team consisted of the 3 Torque guys, Martin, Donna and Andrew and 17 riders from the UK, Germany (me), France and Malta.
Amazing People, loads of fun and support.
The Rally itself was in the most amazing countryside, not too easy but not too tricky.
I started in the non competition class due to some issues with my knees, but had the best time.

I can recommend to you to get yourself a team (go Torque) carry your bike yourself when you're close to Italy and just ride and enjoy.

you won't regret it.
I've booked the 2015 Hellas with Torque already ;-)

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
motard80 OP
Adventurer

More advice please...

Hi folks,

Hellas it is! Mainly because of the positive reactions everywhere and I see that the organisation is listening to the needs of the participants for 2015!

Also for me (if I can take the ferry from Venice), it is the most easy (and cheap) way to get there.

Now, fund-raising will be a pain in the *** but I am not quitting before the finish of the Hellas!
I understand that raising money will be less important then KEEPING MY SPENDINGS AS LOW AS POSSIBLE!

So if you have any idea, especially an original one, I would be very thankful!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
motard80 OP
Adventurer

hardware

What kind of hardware do I need to ride the rally?

electrical roadbook holder (brand? type?)
tripmeter (the cheapest?)
big reservoir (second hand?)
GOOOOOOO??
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
JMo (& piglet)
Gone a bit Baja

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by motard80 View Post

GOOOOOOO??
Hi Motard - great to hear you're looking at entering the Hellas next year - they are an excellent Orga running a fantastic event in a lovely part of the world!

European events tend to be very different from the classic Desert rallies we see in North Africa - much more like a long-distance enduro, that you have to navigate yourself - and therefore your bike choice and level of preparation ought to reflect that.

There is no real need for huge/multiple fuel tanks (as the stage distances in Europe, and the Hellas particularly, tend to be far shorter, with fuel in much more regular supply) or full fairings etc. - and while that might not look or 'feel' like a rally bike to you in the traditional sense, actually your list above is pretty much all you need to prepare a suitable enduro bike... and the XR400, while old school in comparison, is actually a great choice - as it is simple, ultra reliable and is unlikely to need much maintenance over the week-long event.

As you surmise, it really is essential to have a decent trip meter and electrically powered roadbook holder - trying to manually wind one over rough and tight technical terrain you get on the Hellas is a recipe for wiping out pretty quickly I would suggest!

Brands are always down to personal preference and price (not always in that order), but personally I would avoid the Touratech roadbook holder (I've had two, both failed) and go for something like the F2R or MD - both ought to be available secondhand if you are on a budget, although like professional trip meters, these things always have an inherent value, so you might be able to get a good deal on new items for not much more than secondhand would cost you? - that way you would have a warranty or at least some level of aftermarket support on the parts you buy too of course.

The vast majority of people use the ICO brand of tripmeter, and although Dave is a personal friend, I honestly can't personally recommend them while they are still in the old design cases... in my experience, they leak, fog up, and generally crap out on you (this I might add, is based on my experience with a well used example earlier this year, but you hear similar stories from plenty of other riders).

If you are looking to buy new, then I understand ICO will be launching a new casing in the near future - worth considering, particularly their version with the built-in GPS cap repeater... not essential for Hellas, but useful to have for other events, particularly if you are investing a chunk of cash in a tripmeter.

Personally, while I was disappointed with the Touratech roadbook holder, I've found their IMO 100R50 unit actually very reliable so far... and of course there is always the RNS tripmeter that Tony Schattat here on ADV produces.

The simplest thing is to then mount the roadbook holder and tripmeter together on either a bracket/plate on the handlebars/bar clamp, or perhaps go for something like the Raid Designs MRS bracket: http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/ which keeps the weight off the bars, and the nav gear down low and well protected. note. I am aware the XR400 has an oil cooler around the lower part of the steering tube, so you'd need to make sure there is enough space for the MRS system to locate.

Then all you really need is a big fuel tank (reservoir) like you say - fortunately there are a number of tanks available for the XR400 - Acerbis do a 22L one which will be plenty for the Hellas (remember, you don't have to fill it all the way to the top each day, but you have the capacity if you need it), while IMS and Clarke both make one around 12L, which might be a bit touch and go depending on how throttle happy you are.

I have an XR400 myself, and personally I've been looking at a combination of the IMS 12L front tank, plus an extra 5L rear tank (I have one from my old WR450) which would offer plenty of range, plus flexibility, while keeping the bike very narrow at the front still - so it might be worth you considering that as an option, particularly if you can find some suitable tanks on the secondhand market?

Good luck with your prep, and post photos. We love photos ;o)

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by motard80 View Post

GOOOOOOO??
Hi Motard,

Jenny was a participant in Hellas last year, so she propably knows what she is talking about, with the LC4-50 was a bit toug due to some technical parts, next year is should be a bit better from what I hear.

Regarding the equipment. Do your OWN search. It is always nice to hear friendly suggestions, but make sure you do the proper resarch. By that I mean to ask people who actually run the units. Rally people are always friendly in any case

It all depends on how you feel about entering into this little rally world, and what your connections are in the place that you live. For example, buying a second hand F2r in Greece is a no go. Only two people run them here, so there would be some difficulty selling them should you need to upgrate. Touratech here is very good, although the transmission is not as good as other competitors.

F2r and Migtec are from Portugal, F2r has two models on their line, Migtec, MD and Aurora Rally Equipment have only one. The cheapest solution would be to buy a used setup.

Look exactly what you need. Exactly.
Tower or handlebar clamps to suport the mounting bracket?
Switches. Classic toggle or multi switches?
Trip computer. Quality?

Always look the best value for money for your case. Of course you may ask for guidance then.

Look for quality in these products. I have seen enough products failing in a rally, switches in particular. Roadbooks too, but that may not be the point here. ICO is supposed to release a new aluminium casing with new software etc, but in my opinon RNS is the best at present and Tony has some serious aces up his sleeve should you need support later in the game. There is a waiting line, but that is life, you pay for the best and you wait. Ask the KTM 450RFR 2015 owners
ICO has its historical flaws, in Serres this year foging was a major problem and as Jenny said in Hellas 2014 too.

Touratech trip computer would be my next choice. I have the IMO50R and it has never, ever failed in my hands. German engineering at its best there, unlike their own roadbook which is ... well, outedated if I may say.

Roadbook. Look at the events you will be doing and always look if you are tight for used units. And here is a hint. Have a small roll with you and ask the rider to put it and check transmission. If you buy an MD you don't want to service it. Believe me...

brackets and lite towers are another matter. You have to decide a budget in my opinion and everything else will fall into place with the options. If you want to spend 1.5k on the Nav system, tower, electrical scheme. Then you can buy the elite products and go racing. If you have a 500 Euro budget, then used, outdated items are your best bet.

I always say this, both to customers, friends, and rally newcomers. Think the following. You buy 500 Euro equipment. You go to a Rally and the trip fails. You loose your day wondering on the mountain, chasing other riders to guide you. The switch fails in the rainy day etc. Then, you will not only loose the 180 euro you paid for that switch, you will loose the rally money. And that, is the large sum. People, especially teams, either fail, or do not want to address that. For a UK racer to come to Hellas, without spares and backup plans it's a financial suicide. Make no mistake, when you give 4 figure money to come down here, or to go to other European races, the 600-700 euro invesment will save your day.

For the tank I cannot be of service at all, as my 640 adv rarely had any problems in that area . I would stick with a larger front tank and check the events. Most rallies in Greece do not need huge distances, so you can always send a mesasge to the orga and check for refuelling plan. Then you could buy some rear tanks (9 lt ones) and extend your fuel range.

It is weird to quote myself, but I will do it this is from another ''newcomer'' thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Stick to small events first, and try to practice your navigational skills. It can be tricky and result in a very bad feelings about Rally races if you enter a big event and you are getting lost all the time. People think that it is a matter of following instructions, but it is just so much more than that. You have to feel the distance, so you ''read'' the terrain and you know what 100 meters are like in a trail, understant the surroundings and try to read the other's riders marks.

Having done your homework, there are tons of webpages which analyse roadbook navigation, you will enjoy it much, much more.

As far as the equipment is concerned, again, as always in this area, there was a standard which came of the 1990's. To name them ICO and MD was the golden standard back then, even if Touratech had the motorised roadbook holder at the same time as MD, if not earlier. Nowadays, there are so many more to choose that, again, you have to do your homework. A nice, starting setup, could cost as low as 300 Euros. A used Touratech with an IMO100R50, which by the way were as reliable as Honda bikes are (I have yet to see one freeze, and I have seen lots of units) will be fine to start with and then if you like it you can swap later. A medium setup, RB750 with an ICO unit, will cost approx 600 Euros and you can even go wild and pay up to 900 figures. You can go dead cheap and go Trailtech and a used roadbook and still be ok!

The above prices do not incluce back up devices or multi switches. Have a look in the Rally Nav. Tower thread to see more setups, choices etc. There are Rally lite setups, or frame adaptors to have a fixed tower, or handlebar brackets... anything you can ask for.

It all depends what you can trace near you to see how they operate, which parts you like etc. Do not be afraid to ask, do not be afraid to expose and do not ''listen'' to any of us.
It's like buying a bike. You read the reviews, you ask, but at the end, it's your choice.

Yes, it pays off when everybody used to run ICO's and a spare ICO was at hand in case the one you were racing broke, froze, whatever. Especially for ICO, I have to say that it was the standard. It is not anymore, that's why most of the factories are swapping to RNS and there are a couple of other brands too to choose as well. The same was with the MD. It was the golden standard. Now you have another three, four brands to choose from. And the factories start to swap too...

A final word, none and I repeat that, NONE of the riders that I have talked to, did their math right. People prefer to spend less in their nav equipment (when, goodness gracious me they enter a Rally where navigation is the target ) and then, once the equipment does not perform they compromise the 5-6k they spent for a rally abroad.... Do not fall into the trap. Think that if something fails, your day may be totally screwed. Buy something, buy something good and buy it once.
Finally, welcome to the Rally world and make sure you enjoy the adventure... because it always is.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #15
motard80 OP
Adventurer

thanks all, great feedback!!

to be continued...

motard80 screwed with this post 11-22-2014 at 11:52 PM