Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Ewout from www.rallybikecenter.com owns a 'speciality' shop here in Holland. He built the bike according to Richard's wishes (older type A3 kit). Ewout used to wrench for Yamah Team Europe/Holland and has plenty of experience building these bikes, I think he has done 6 or 7 Dakars.

Drop him an email!

This year he built these 4 bikes;

Quote:
Teus Visser KTM 530 EXC met Meca System kit
Hans Jos Liefhebber KTM 690 Facory Replica
Onno Ellens Honda CRF 450 X met Light RBC kit
Richard de Groot WR 450 F met A3 kit (gehuurd)
and has helped the Honda team that Quinn Cody ran with.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 246
Ok thanks. I have seen that kit yes, they seem very robust. However that pic of the new JVO kit JMo posted on her thread .
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #33
Trang OP
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Anvil View Post
Husky 610 I have Hijacked your thread If you don't mind I will keep going on as I think more dreamers are looking at Malles Moto...

Bring it On !!

.... still waiting on details of what to pack in the Box
Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #34
Tau Anvil
African by trade

lekker lets give these previous Dakar entrants hell with all the Q...

Who does extra transport for you. I get the Euro 500 for the 2 boxes and 2 wheels from ASO in Malles Moto, However if I want to take extra tyres and a motor is there services like this? Am I still in Malles Moto then?

I have been thinking about the spar4e motor in a box, and that doesn't leave me with very many spare parts and tool to pack.

And warm clothes and energy supplements.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #35
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCameraKid View Post
When Simon Gets back from Dakar, I will take some pictures of his boxes.

He put and entire bike sans the main frame in a third box on The Desert Rose 4x4. Then he had a tent, oil filter for everyday, basic spares a few clothes items, bike stand, some oil (you get it free in the malles moto through elf)

It's impressive what you can get in one. You don't really need food stuffs as the organisers are good with that.
PING thatcamerakid

Where are those pics?????
Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #36
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
lekker lets give these previous Dakar entrants hell with all the Q...

Who does extra transport for you. I get the Euro 500 for the 2 boxes and 2 wheels from ASO in Malles Moto, However if I want to take extra tyres and a motor is there services like this? Am I still in Malles Moto then?

I have been thinking about the spar4e motor in a box, and that doesn't leave me with very many spare parts and tool to pack.

And warm clothes and energy supplements.
You need to chat up one of the independent support teams - like Desert Rose Racing for example, who carried the spare engine and tyres/mousses for Si Pavey this year...

If they have spare space on the truck, then I'm sure they will be happy to carry a few extra spares and tyres for you, for a price of course - but considerably less than a full support package of course!

As long as you do your service work, and work within the confines of the Malles Moto enclosure, then there is no reason why you can't have a few extra spares carried by another team, should/as and when you need them...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #37
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Thx Jmo

That is exactly what I am planning on doing. If it is possible. Then keep the engine available at al bivoucs I would then keep 2 x sets clutch plates in each box and sprockets.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #38
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Ok got quotes on stickers T-shirts and Caps so getting my support packages costing down.

I have found a friend who has been helping lots with info on bike prep and Nav equipment. The more I think of those 2 boxes being my life line the and the smell of them when I open them after 9 days smelling of filter oil and fuel and dirty clothes. I bet your tent and slaaping bag must stink so badly after the first week.

Now I wonder do you then need 2 tents and sleeping bags and matresses as you won't have the same box each night????
Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #39
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Now I wonder do you then need 2 tents and sleeping bags and matresses as you won't have the same box each night????
yes, IF you put it in the ASO boxes as you only see each box every second night. Better to put it on a support truck you see each night.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #40
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
yes, IF you put it in the ASO boxes as you only see each box every second night. Better to put it on a support truck you see each night.
I have a roll that packs super small which I use on y HP2 when doing rides, it is super smaal so maybe I can slip it in the back of one of the VW Tauregs........think they will notice: " hallo sir I work for Greenpeace just need to do the daily check to C if you an't smuggling dunemonster, you know those critters that catch bikers ..)
Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #41
Tau Anvil
African by trade

What a rush the last two days have been!!!! My support thread on our South African site

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=64782.0

is up and running and I have received better support than I could ever have dreamt of. My Yz 450 is sold and I sold a truck of a friend and made some commosion so i have enough for the initial regestration application and then some spare penny's for a coke.

It is 01:47 on a Saturday morning in South Africa and I am busy doing my presentation for corporate sponsors.

I am doing a raffle, but it is not everybody's taste so I will leave it of the bike forum( no girls or illegal stuff involved) and hopefully I can make some extra cash in this way. I have also sourced a good WR 450, but am still undecided if I get a complete bike built inEurope or the states.

Oh and the the entry or exceptance of an entry, what if they don't accept my entry....I will look the fool seriously
Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #42
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Succes man!!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #43
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Oh and the the entry or exceptance of an entry, what if they don't accept my entry....I will look the fool seriously
put it in early with the $$ and you are in, despite what ASO say at times the only real requirement is paid up $$$
Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #44
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
put it in early with the $$ and you are in, despite what ASO say at times the only real requirement is paid up $$$
Surely ASO are not just interested in the money$$$
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #45
mikekay
toiling midget

Oddometer: 228
Tau Anvil-
Congrats on making the decision to go to Dakar. Start a thread and let us all follow your progress and cheer you on!
Gooooo Tau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------

Malles Moto info:

Really enjoying this thread. Its about time these guys got more attention on ADV.

Some more info:
Malles Motos riders can sign up with ELF and receive assistance in the form of oils, technical advice, etc. If they run ELF colors and stickers they can sign up for the ELF Trophy. This includes significant payout-up to 5th place. The first place payout is 10K euros. http://www.elfmoto.com/lub/lubroot.n...0?OpenDocument

As pointed out:
Food and drink provided by ASO.
2 Trunks carried by ASO
Spare set of wheels carried by ASO.
Tires can be EASILY bought from teams with a DNF rider.
Sleep under the giant bivouac tents with dozens of other riders.
Work on bike at the ELF encampment. Technical advice given. Tools loaned, and motor oil/filter wash available.

Buenos Aires to Lima via Chile. Dakar 2012. Malles Motos/ELF/Marathon. My understanding is there will be a blue and white XR400 with a USA entry. Possibly two of them. Time will tell.

mikekay screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 08:38 AM
mikekay is offline   Reply With Quote