Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #46
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 246
Ja thx guys. Big decision, luckily lots of helpfull people on advrider giveing advise and helping with info.

Hopefully I will meet some of you at Dakar 2012.

I say I am doing Malles Moto as it sound slike it is by choice, well it isn't it is by lack of fundshowever I still think if we (me and fellow Malles moto's ) do make it to the finish it will be so sweet and rewarding.

Safariberg I hope you are right otherwise I will be a fool with all my donors and supporters.

Is there anything bigger than the acerbis 15l and Aqualine 15l main tanks for the WR 450's aluminium frame?

I would love the JVO kit, however $ may limit me and I then need a good plan B.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #47
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
Good stuff :)
If you are just trying for a finish, reliability in your bike is more important than trickery.

Henno and I tried in the same year. I had a very nice KTM Rally. Henno had an old budget XT500.
I fell down, hurt myself and pulled out. He didn't, and finished.

The biggest thing you can do is get as fit as possible and get used to not sleeping

PPiA screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 12:49 AM
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #48
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Wow that guy is legend.

No sleep I am used to. lastyear with my broken vertebrae and a 2 month old baby sleep wasn't something I had
Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #49
sfevildick
Coffee Bean

Oddometer: 78
Well, Euromaster is no longer at the Dakar, it is Michelin now and they will change other brands of tires but are very reluctant to install "incorrect" mousse and tire size combos.
Don't ever completely rely on tires from retired riders, in my experience, bring the minimum of what you actually need for tires and if new tires are available from others, use them if you can. Most of my reasoning for this is time. It takes a lot of time to organize anything in the bivouac of the Dakar and the more time you spend hustling and organizing tire trades, the less time you have working on your bike and working on getting all the sleep you need.
My friend Kamal runs Mal Moto and the one thing I can say for certain is that, although a small guy, is very strong and very fit. I think physical and mental strength play a huge role in this class.

I've seen Aqualine front tank and the JVO rear tank on the same bike... may be a good match with a lot of gas for less money.

sfevildick screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 01:40 AM
sfevildick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #50
Tau Anvil
African by trade

My logo for Dakar!!

This will be my official logo for Dakar 2012. Thx to Mike Kapp designs for the effort and doing this and many others at no cost
Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #51
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekay View Post
tau anvil-
congrats on making the decision to go to dakar. start a thread and let us all follow
gooooo tau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------
+ 1
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #52
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Gooday inmates.

Dakar planning is worse than the race itself!!!!!!

Any new info on Malles Moto please.
Is there a place where you can buy drinks,water, snacks etc?
I take it you get food at the bivouc, but energy drinks etc or is this something you need to bring yourself?

Is ther water at the start of the specials? and at the refuels?( i have seen some are just fuel drums in the desert).

I am heavy on water and have raced with a 3l and 2l camel back, but this is not ideal, however rather too much water than sucking that bladder dry.

Oh and www.anvilracing.co.za has been registered now just waiting for sitebuilder(he is doing it for free as part of my donations thread ) to finish the site.

If you guys in europe hear of used Yamaha JVO kitted or something please let me know as I think this will be the best route for me as getting all the pieces to SA is gonna be a huge logistics nightmare.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #53
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Anvil View Post
Gooday inmates.

Is there a place where you can buy drinks,water, snacks etc?
I take it you get food at the bivouc, lots of water, soft drinks, general food, fruit all part of bivouac, usually Red Bull free drinks as well

but energy drinks etc or is this something you need to bring yourself? no real energy drinks, yes bring

Is ther water at the start of the specials? no and at the refuels? yes ( i have seen some are just fuel drums in the desert).

I am heavy on water and have raced with a 3l and 2l camel back, but this is not ideal, however rather too much water than sucking that bladder dry. 3L + 3L and you may still run out

. no place to buy stuff along the way if you have no service crew except on the rest day, unless you strike up an arrangement with a team that has service crew
Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #54
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
. no place to buy stuff along the way if you have no service crew except on the rest day, unless you strike up an arrangement with a team that has service crew
Thx safariberg.

Yes this is the plan to get some support for spare tyres and a motor.

I will then have a bladder in my jacket and one in my camelbak 3 l each one Cytomax and one water. I suppose I can use the 3l aux water in the bashplate(for coffee how hot does that not get???)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #55
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
I suppose I can use the 3l aux water in the bashplate(for coffee how hot does that not get???)
coffee at 60C tainted by alloy

still I'm no fan of coffee at the best of times

but in a life threatening situation ie ASO forgot you were there stuck out on the stage somewhere for 2-3 days like the poor French guy in 2009 on Leg 3.................then yes good to know an extra 3L is there
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #56
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Except Simon P who has done Males Moto on a 450cc? finish not entered?
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #57
Trang OP
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,068
So what is at the Bivoac?

- Toilets (presume yes, but may not be a pleasant place to be if you are compeditor no 423
- Showers
- Shop (if yes what can you buy? Oil, Drinks, Lollies etc)
- Tyres
- Loctite (is this a free service?)
- Other?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #58
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Except Simon P who has done Males Moto on a 450cc? finish not entered?
Kemal + Richard de Groot that I know off. Your Afrikaans should be close enough to deceipher his website :) http://dakarricharddegroot.webs.com/

I see 2 other riders (690's??) on this pic, dont know them though;

Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #59
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e View Post
So what is at the Bivoac?

- Toilets (presume yes, but may not be a pleasant place to be if you are compeditor no 423 big +100 on that one lots of this
- Showers marginal, but again dont be at the back of the queue
- Shop (if yes what can you buy? Oil, Drinks, Lollies etc) nope no shops of any kind, only thing you can buy is booze at the bar, alos souvenir t-shirts at the stall outside the bivouac entrance
- Tyres not for sale, but yes for changing by Euromasters who are Michelin and are very good their job as well
- Loctite (is this a free service?) yes and a damn good one
- Other?

just usual HQ stuff, medics, IT, etc etc, very big media presence, all up about 4,500 people...................in a word its huge and what you see on TV doesnt really give the full impression of the size of it

Food at the Safari is better, but at least there is lots of it, gets to be very boring by the end of it though, not much variety
Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #60
Farioli
"just do it"

Oddometer: 503
Riders like Kemal and Groot

This is the real deal. Guys like Groot, Kemal or any "Malles Motos" rider, reserve the maximun respect!!!