ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #91
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
Bump, for a magical thread.
This is a great subject, I was wondering:

Do they still allow Malles Moto?

Do we have any inmates participating in this years in Malles Moto?

How much money will a participant save by competing Malles Moto?

Do you have to apply and be accepted to race MM?

Did Tau Anvil participate in 2012?


Curiosity has the best of me, perhaps all of these question can be answered in another thread or site. Feel free to point me that direction if you happen to know.

Thanks,
Newner
In order as much as I can...

1. Yes, they still have a Malle Moto category, although this year (2014) it is limited to just 20 places.

2. Not sure if he is an inmate here, but Paul Jay (UK) is riding Malle Moto this year, having crashed out early on in Dakar 2013 - he has elected to return this year in Malle Moto (to save money - see below...) https://www.facebook.com/paul.jay3?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

3. Going with an independent service team will cost in the region of €12,000-14,000 Euros for full support. Malle Moto costs just €500 on top of your basic entry fee to ASO.

Although on the face of it a substantial saving, in previous years in South America, the 'problem' has been that you've actually needed two sets of everything - spares, tools, sleeping kit, wheels and tyres - as there were two support trucks that carry your gear and leap-frog each other from bivouac to bivouac... so there was a lot of extra (and potentially unnecessary) expense - particularly if you decided you need a spare engine, or rather two!

This year however, the logistics/distances between the Bivouac's means there is a single dedicated Malle Moto truck that will carry the rider's gear each day - however, I imagine it means that the truck will have to leave early (so you'll have to be up really early to load your gear), and potentially arrive later in the day, depending on the distances involved - although these days [in South America] on the whole the service/assistance route is considerably shorter time-wise than the stage + liaison the competitors have to drive, so the truck ought to be there by the time you get in.

The real 'cost' of Malle Moto is your own personal attrition... when everything is going well, you get in late afternoon, service your bike for an hour or so, have a shower, something to eat, go to the briefing at 8pm, mark your roadbook, and get your head down in good time...

However, the problem/s start if you are late in for any reason, and especially if you then have any serious work to do on the bike - then you can end up missing all of the above, and barely getting any sleep until you have to be up again to load your gear on the truck and get back on your bike...

The knock-on effect of this is that you are tired the following day, more likely to make mistakes, and so are late/r in again, and the 'snowball effect' continues until you either time out or drop/crash out through exhaustion.

Therefore, having someone to work on your bike (with all the tools, spares and knowledge required) cannot be under estimated - leaving you free each evening to shower, eat, mark up your road book and most importantly sleep as much as you can...

Similarly, a 'team' atmosphere can help your moral in general, while little things like having your tent/camp set up already, someone having scoped out the layout of the bivouac facilities, and someone to greet you with a cold drink when you get in are a huge boost... especially as you are likely to be pretty wired after a long day.

4. Yes, for 2014 onwards, you have to apply specifically for one of the 20 Malle Moto places available. I imagine [in addition to your general application] you would have to show you have the initiative, knowledge and stamina to be able to manage without mechanical support.

On the surface it may appear to offer a more [financially] realistic way to enter what is a very expensive event; but while appreciably cheaper than going with a service team, it is certainly not an easy option... I recall Simon Pavey said to me in 2011 - "Malle Moto is for people who have got [at least] one finish under their belt, and are looking for a new challenge!"

5. Not sure if Tau Anvil was in 2012 - perhaps someone else can confirm?

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 04:21 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #92
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,181
Paul Jay

this photo says it all

__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #93
640 Armageddon
-oo-
 
640 Armageddon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 1,786
One bike, one box, one rider

__________________
Aurora Rally Equipment
"Do or Do Not. There is No Try" - Yoda
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #94
Åmme
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
One bike, one box, one rider

And in my opinon this is DAKAR
Åmme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #95
bleaknessengine
Lousy Bum
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Åmme View Post
And in my opinon this is DAKAR
+1
bleaknessengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #96
nicogc
Adventurer
 
nicogc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Lima - Peru
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleaknessengine View Post
+1
+1
If i ever make it, i think this is the way i would like to enter.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk
nicogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #97
nry
.
 
nry's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post

Did Tau Anvil participate
I think Tau's entry got knocked back from memory.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #98
nry
.
 
nry's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 1,244
Here you go. Tau's thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669243
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #99
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer
 
garfey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Deep East Texas
Oddometer: 3,911
2014 Malle Moto Inmates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
/snip/

Do we have any inmates participating in this years in Malles Moto?

/snip/

Thanks,
Newner
Fred Millet #188 (Inmate "fimp")
From the Pre-Event/lead-up thread:


and



__________________
So many bikes, so little time (and money)
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #100
Wyvern
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wyvern's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: California, East Bay (Concord)
Oddometer: 1,329
The www.Dakar.com site has a LOT of info ... if you dig in you can even find the regulations .

YES Malles Motos are still part of the dakar

Here is a link to the PDF rules

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs...-US-200913.pdf

a little from the regs 37P4 “MALLES MOTOS” CHALLENGE (BIKE TRUNKS)
1) Transport of 1 trunk and 2 wheels is for Bike / Quad Rider without Service only. All infractions will
result in Disqualification.

2) At the Bivouac, it is mandatory for the Rider registered in the “Malles Motos” Challenge to set up
and make all/any service and repairs in the “Malles Motos” reserved area.

3) Time Card management
At any arrival from the Road Section TC or Selective Section Finish TC (when there is no Road
Section to get to the Bivouac), the Rider will give his Time Card to the marshal in charge. The
marshal will give the Rider his Time Card back with his time of arrival written down.
Then, the Rider will imperatively have to give his Time Card to the “Malles Motos” responsible at
arriving in the dedicated area.

4) After having informed the “Malles Motos” responsible, the Rider will be able to take his Machine
out of the area to realise certain operations:
 With the Dakar Service Centre sponsors (tyres, oil, etc.)
 But also to weld, do repairs, clean and conduct tests with his Machine.
In case of litigation, the supervising official will make a written statement to the Officials with the
time of absence and the reasons.




62/117 Bike – Quad Regulations / Dakar 2014 www.dakar.com

5) If it proved that the type of intervention does not conform to this Article and/or that the
Challenge spirit is not respected, the Rider will be excluded for the Challenge Classification.

6) The trunk and 2 wheels must be handed over before the start of the race:


Once you download the PDF you can do an easy search just "control" - "F" the word MALLES
__________________
Enjoy life ... eat out more often

Wyvern screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 06:26 PM
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #101
Tau Anvil
African by trade
 
Tau Anvil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tulbagh, South Africa
Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
In order as much as I can...

1. Yes, they still have a Malle Moto category, although this year (2014) it is limited to just 20 places.

2. Not sure if he is an inmate here, but Paul Jay (UK) is riding Malle Moto this year, having crashed out early on in Dakar 2013 - he has elected to return this year in Malle Moto (to save money - see below...) https://www.facebook.com/paul.jay3?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

3. Going with an independent service team will cost in the region of €12,000-14,000 Euros for full support. Malle Moto costs just €500 on top of your basic entry fee to ASO.

Although on the face of it a substantial saving, in previous years in South America, the 'problem' has been that you've actually needed two sets of everything - spares, tools, sleeping kit, wheels and tyres - as there were two support trucks that carry your gear and leap-frog each other from bivouac to bivouac... so there was a lot of extra (and potentially unnecessary) expense - particularly if you decided you need a spare engine, or rather two!

This year however, the logistics/distances between the Bivouac's means there is a single dedicated Malle Moto truck that will carry the rider's gear each day - however, I imagine it means that the truck will have to leave early (so you'll have to be up really early to load your gear), and potentially arrive later in the day, depending on the distances involved - although these days [in South America] on the whole the service/assistance route is considerably shorter time-wise than the stage + liaison the competitors have to drive, so the truck ought to be there by the time you get in.

The real 'cost' of Malle Moto is your own personal attrition... when everything is going well, you get in late afternoon, service your bike for an hour or so, have a shower, something to eat, go to the briefing at 8pm, mark your roadbook, and get your head down in good time...

However, the problem/s start if you are late in for any reason, and especially if you then have any serious work to do on the bike - then you can end up missing all of the above, and barely getting any sleep until you have to be up again to load your gear on the truck and get back on your bike...

The knock-on effect of this is that you are tired the following day, more likely to make mistakes, and so are late/r in again, and the 'snowball effect' continues until you either time out or drop/crash out through exhaustion.

Therefore, having someone to work on your bike (with all the tools, spares and knowledge required) cannot be under estimated - leaving you free each evening to shower, eat, mark up your road book and most importantly sleep as much as you can...

Similarly, a 'team' atmosphere can help your moral in general, while little things like having your tent/camp set up already, someone having scoped out the layout of the bivouac facilities, and someone to greet you with a cold drink when you get in are a huge boost... especially as you are likely to be pretty wired after a long day.

4. Yes, for 2014 onwards, you have to apply specifically for one of the 20 Malle Moto places available. I imagine [in addition to your general application] you would have to show you have the initiative, knowledge and stamina to be able to manage without mechanical support.

On the surface it may appear to offer a more [financially] realistic way to enter what is a very expensive event; but while appreciably cheaper than going with a service team, it is certainly not an easy option... I recall Simon Pavey said to me in 2011 - "Malle Moto is for people who have got [at least] one finish under their belt, and are looking for a new challenge!"

5. Not sure if Tau Anvil was in 2012 - perhaps someone else can confirm?

Jx
Nope they didn't give me a spot as Malles Moto for a first timer for them was not a great idea + too many entries. Now I realize it was a blessing in disguise as I would have struggled. Not because of my riding ability, but I would have had to learn how things work on the rally and bivouac+ repair/service my bike and sleep in the first couple of days.
__________________
Yamaha Wr450f JVO Rallye kit -SOLD-
2013 YAMAHA WR450F
The Tool from Toolbag
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #102
Tau Anvil
African by trade
 
Tau Anvil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tulbagh, South Africa
Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Crazy fool I almost made it!!!!!!
__________________
Yamaha Wr450f JVO Rallye kit -SOLD-
2013 YAMAHA WR450F
The Tool from Toolbag
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #103
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict
 
SafariBerg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Perth Australia
Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

3. Going with an independent service team will cost in the region of €12,000-14,000 Euros for full support. Malle Moto costs just €500 on top of your basic entry fee to ASO.


The real 'cost' of Malle Moto is your own personal attrition... when everything is going well, you get in late afternoon, service your bike for an hour or so, have a shower, something to eat, go to the briefing at 8pm, mark your roadbook, and get your head down in good time...

However, the problem/s start if you are late in for any reason, and especially if you then have any serious work to do on the bike - then you can end up missing all of the above, and barely getting any sleep until you have to be up again to load your gear on the truck and get back on your bike...

The knock-on effect of this is that you are tired the following day, more likely to make mistakes, and so are late/r in again, and the 'snowball effect' continues until you either time out or drop/crash out through exhaustion.

Therefore, having someone to work on your bike (with all the tools, spares and knowledge required) cannot be under estimated - leaving you free each evening to shower, eat, mark up your road book and most importantly sleep as much as you can...

Similarly, a 'team' atmosphere can help your moral in general, while little things like having your tent/camp set up already, someone having scoped out the layout of the bivouac facilities, and someone to greet you with a cold drink when you get in are a huge boost... especially as you are likely to be pretty wired after a long day.

On the surface it may appear to offer a more [financially] realistic way to enter what is a very expensive event; but while appreciably cheaper than going with a service team, it is certainly not an easy option... I recall Simon Pavey said to me in 2011 - "Malle Moto is for people who have got [at least] one finish under their belt, and are looking for a new challenge!"



Jx
Malle Motos is typically a 10-15% finish rate versus 50-60% for the rest of the moto field,

and those that do finish are the guys who have done it before or are Malle Motos specialists like Rob van Pelt, Simon Pavey or Kemal Merkit

very very few Dakar first timers who are also malle motos finish

sure save with the 500 euro Malle Moto signup, but risk the 35,000+ euro already spent to get to the start line in the first place
__________________
2013 Husaberg FE501
2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 Rallye
SafariBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #104
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Malle Motos is typically a 10-15% finish rate versus 50-60% for the rest of the moto field,

and those that do finish are the guys who have done it before or are Malle Motos specialists like Rob van Pelt, Simon Pavey or Kemal Merkit

very very few Dakar first timers who are also malle motos finish

sure save with the 500 euro Malle Moto signup, but risk the 35,000+ euro already spent to get to the start line in the first place
Very true - and even Simon Pavey said it was the hardest thing he'd ever done (and was the once and only time he'd do it that way)... Llewellyn said his dad slept for a month after he got home in 2011!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014