Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #61
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
This confused me until I realized that when you said "improved the tendency" you meant the improvement to be that it does not fly so easily. I had just seen another thread where a guy had improved the tendency of his bike to do wheelies and of course he meant the opposite--that now it wheelies more easily.

Anyway, that new wheel is fabulous! And the hub cap is a really nice touch.

I have taken many pictures of my dogs so I realize that to get those two beauties to pose so perfectly you probably had to shoot 2000-3000 exposures just to get a couple worthy of posting. Nice job!
Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #62
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Hi, I have a Harley sidecar and was wondering how easy it is for your dogs to get into yours. Do you help them in or do they just jump over the side? I have a nine year old 90 lb. Lab mix and don't see an easy way to get him in mine. At his age I'm not sure I'll try to teach him any new tricks. Thanks, Dave
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #63
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet2 View Post
Hi, I have a Harley sidecar and was wondering how easy it is for your dogs to get into yours. Do you help them in or do they just jump over the side? I have a nine year old 90 lb. Lab mix and don't see an easy way to get him in mine. At his age I'm not sure I'll try to teach him any new tricks. Thanks, Dave
My two golden retrievers are completely different. They are both almost 5 and the female - Bailey - jumps right in without hesitation. In fact, if she's in the garage and I make a move toward the hack she's in there waiting to be harnessed up. My male - Roscoe - who is 10 pounds heavier and 6 months younger, has never been able to make the leap of faith over the side to get in by himself. I have to put his front paws over and then lift up his rear in and put him in. He loves it once he's in though! Neither of them has any issues with jumping over the side to disembark. Whenever they're riding with me I use harnesses with a webbed strap and D-ring that comes off their back (these are made for hooking dogs into car seat belts). For Bailey, who rides in the front, I have two webbed straps that are about half the width of the sidecar and anchored to the side of the sidecar with eyebolts. On the end of each strap is a brass snap hook that I put thru the D-ring on her harness. For Roscoe, I have an eyebolt mounted in the floor of the sidecar behind him with a doggie seat belt buckle that works more or less lie a car and snaps in place when it is slid over the D-ring on his harness. This allows both dogs to move a bit and to lay down if they want, but not get more than a paw over the side. We've been doing it with this system for a little over two years with no incidents.

Good Luck with yours!

BTW, the only reason I retrofitted the Harley body was because the stock Velorex one barely had room for one pup. With the Harley body there's plenty of room for both plus my camping gear when traveling. Pic of the rig before the Harley body was fitted:

GSBS screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 02:13 PM
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #64
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Thanks for the information, the Harley tub does look good with your bike and certainly looks like your dogs enjoy it. I'm not sure my dog will go for the harness, he is a retired guide dog. I tried to put one of those car safety harnesses on him one time and he did not like it, he thought I was going to make him work again.
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #65
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Teach one of your dogs to ride up front and be a hood ornament on your rig. My dog, Murph, is in training for such. First step is to get him used to riding up there. Second step is to threaten him to ride like Clark Griswold's dog from National Lampoon's Vacation. Yeah, that should motivate him pretty well. :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8491128401/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/8492228928/

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #66
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Great thread-post you guys.

Inspiring. I modified some kayaks back in the 1970's- 80's and played with fiberglass and worked in body shops.....

your giving me some sick, twisted ideas...

woof!
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #67
cadaVre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I'd like to abuse this thread for a little question:

Anyone here with a Ural Sidecar who has a Wife/GF AND a dog? Does it fit? GF is std. size 5f 6" and the dog is a somewhat small Berner Sennen (Swiss Herding Dog) but not a small dog per se.

Is anyone here able to tell me if they would be comfortable for one-day or week-end vacations in a standard ural sidecar? If they both really like it, I may just have to hack my BMW GS for longer trips... But I'd love to own a Ural!
cadaVre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #68
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
My wife rides with our 21 lb jack Russell on her lap in my 2006 patrol. This should not be done while wearing shorts. When there is a squirrel in the parking the dog acceleration across her legs is impressive. Jimmy Dog is leashed so he cannot get out of the sidecar but he did put some good claw marks on sweeties legs.
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #69
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

My wife is 5'1" it's a full sidecar with the dog on her lap. Both can keep behind the windscreen. There is not enough room for the dog to get down in the seat or nose of the sidecar. The tiring thing is hanging onto the dog. He jumps up to bark at bicycles etc....
Old 05-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #70
cadaVre
Adventurer

Hmm, on the lap won't be acceptable for me with a 28kg dog. She should be able to sit on the floor between my GFs legs. But I think it might be uncomfortable for her to do longer rides like this. :/
Old 05-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #71
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

I doubt a 26kg dog would fit with your wife's legs in the nose of the chair.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #72
cadaVre
Adventurer

In the picture in my mind only her feet are in the sidecar's nose and the dog is sitting (read: Head in the wind) between her knees since the sidecar is wider here. Maybe I'll just have to tell her to keep the right foot out of the sidecar like I (1.90m, 100kg) have to when I ride in a Ural sidecar.

I really hope it fits, otherwise the Ural will be for me and 4paws and I'll have to put a rig on the GS for all of us together. But then I'll need a new Solo-GSs...
Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #73
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Nope. Not gonna fit that way. The only way they'll fit is if the dogs sits backwards with his tail in the nose and his head on your girlfriend's lap.

Your option is to go to work with a cutting torch and open up the back of the sidecar so you can have the GF sitting more to the rear. But then that might put too much weight outside the triangle. So, no, not gonna fit in a Ural. You need a double wide sidecar.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #74
cadaVre
Adventurer

Damn... :( So I'll have to get a ural for me and Josephine and a Sidecar for the GS for all of us... well.. where's my credit card?

I've seen companys around here that widen Ural sidecars. Problem is they then get wider then long and they become ugly as fuck. So that's not an option.

cadaVre screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 12:29 AM
Old 05-20-2014, 03:22 AM   #75
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaVre View Post
Damn... :( So I'll have to get a ural for me and Josephine and a Sidecar for the GS for all of us... well.. where's my credit card?

I've seen companys around here that widen Ural sidecars. Problem is they then get wider then long and they become ugly as fuck. So that's not an option.

Just buy a Chinese CJ body with the rumble/dickie seat option, problem solved.

Wife in the front, dog sits in the back.