User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #271
Ek4130
Eric

Oddometer: 41
Cooler

Thanks you Mark!This thing is great and the packing and and instructions are very impressive. Great.
Ek4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #272
dcparks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Thumb finally got that thing installed!

finally got that fine piece of workmanship installed - then did a 9 day, 2000Km trip to the chilcotins, performed flawlessley. Thanks Mark.

dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #273
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark View Post

The kit for the XR600 will work with the XL600R.

Ride safe and stay "cool".

Cheers
Mark
I think I may be the guinea pig for using this kit on the XL600 and what I've found is that it doesn't quite fit actually. As you see the original bash plate needs some modification, but that I had already anticipated.

The mounts and support brackets all fit up fine, but what I had not planned for was that the inside of the front guard found itself conflicting for space with one of the small frame tubes. It seems that the XL front frame tube may come down a bit further than the XR and XRL bikes causing this problem.

So that being known, I went ahead and cut away what was needed, in fact by the looks of my picture I may have more work yet to do. Other than that the long inside mount bolt for the guard that goes through the front motor mount is about 20mm too long, so I replaced it with a shorter one from my local hardware store.

Otherwise an awesome kit. Looks great, easy to install, and the whole thing from packaging to instructions just reeks of professionalism. So much so that if not for the shiny "Made in the USA" stickers you would think that it came from Honda themselves.

Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #274
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 851
Thank you for the report and photos. Great job!

I will make adjustments for the next "guinea pig"

I was not able to get my hands on a XL600R, so I depended on customers to fit this on the XL600R.
The first one was reported as a "perfect fit". I figured it was a go! Then the other two that I sold had problems. I am sorry about that.

I really want each part to be a perfect fit. I will do my best to make sure that I get the problems corrected.

Thanks again for the mounting information you posted.

Cheers,
Mark
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #275
officialhopsof
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Weight

I was curious of a few things:
1) What is the weight of the oil cooler assembly (hoses, cooler, brackets...etc)?
2) Does the oil cooler require more oil to be used when changing the oil?
3) Is there a way (or even a need) to drain the oil cooler when changing the engine oil?

I am really interested in this product!

Thanks!
Brandon
officialhopsof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #276
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialhopsof View Post
I was curious of a few things:
1) What is the weight of the oil cooler assembly (hoses, cooler, brackets...etc)?
2) Does the oil cooler require more oil to be used when changing the oil?
3) Is there a way (or even a need) to drain the oil cooler when changing the engine oil?

I am really interested in this product!

Thanks!
Brandon
Hi Brandon,

1) The kit is 1 lb. 12 oz.
2) When changing oil, no extra oil is needed.
3) I personally don't see the need to drain the cooler. It holds only 150cc of oil.

By design, Honda seems to have no problem keeping old oil in the system.
The frame backbone has a heck of a lot more than 150cc left in it you drain your oil.
Jacking up the back of the bike during oil draining gets more of the old crude out.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #277
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Wow!

I just recieved my cooler kit from Mark, all I have to say is WOW! You will not find a nicer designed, built, documented and put together kit for an oil cooler anywhere. Everything is packed well, and EVERYTHING is included for installation, EVERYTHING, not to mention a VERY nice installation manual. If you are pondering on this kit rest assured it is well worth the money. Had a big supplier company put together a kit like this it would be $100-$150 more and the instructions would suck! Great job Mark, thank you very much for making this wonderul kit!!!

edjo69 screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 06:06 PM
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #278
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 704
XL600R Bash Plate Mod

This is what I done to fit the plate with the oil cooler. I used another plate that was more beat than the original. I stored the original one away.

I also added some more clearance between the frame and the lower corner of the guard by removing a little material from the guard.

Everything works great and the kit is top notch. If I owned another variant with the 650 engine, like a FMX, I would know the kit would work in general but would need some adjustments and wouldn't be bothered by it. I knew these were origninaly made for the XR650L, so I just wanted to document any adjustments I made and let Mark know so he could keep up with all the XR/XL variations.

Thanks Mark for the great kit. I no longer have to worry so much about overheating in traffic or on a tight trail.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #279
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Cool feedback

I get a lot of nice feedback and neglect to share it.

Thanks guys for the nice repots on the oil cooler!
Here are some quotes I received a few weeks ago:

"Just took her out for about a 3 hr hwy drive. Was running 70-75 the entire trip (not comfortable at that speed, but people were flying, so I kept pace with traffic). Ambient temp was ~90F.
It held a constant 225 degrees almost the entire trip with one or two spikes at about 240 pulling hills & headwinds, but the cooler was able to pull temps back to 225.
It's definitely working. No more of those scary 275 degree peaks anymore. You have a winner in this product.."

"(Before the cooler) This is on a 100 degree day. Once the oil reaches 250, there is no dropping it back down, short of getting off the highway and stopping for a bit. Sometimes while pulling the long, steep grades (bike loaded with penniers, etc) temps will climb to 275, but will settle back down to 250 eventually when back on level ground.
NOW, with your cooler installed, the bike will peak at 250 (takes a long time to get there) but will settle back down to 225 on the flats.
I can say that it made an honest 25 degree difference, maybe 30 in some situations, but I am very happy with the outcome.
That will take a lot of premature wear out of the motor. Wanted to say thanks again..
You make a very nice product and present it well with your nice instructions, & neat packaging. This is a winner. The people that have seen it have all thought it came that way from the factory.. A testament to your nice work.
"

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #280
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Kudos

Folks, what Mark has made here is pure, functional, motorcycle artwork. In the past year and a half I've logged over 30,000 miles on two separate XR650L's. The first bike, "El Senior" carried me from Oregon all the way to the southern tip of South America (Ushuaia) and then back to Buenos Aires. I installed Mark's oil cooler on it a few days before I left and never, in over 20,000 miles of riding, saw the temperature rise past 260 degrees. In fact, it only went above 250 degrees one time: when I was stalled out in traffic in Lima, Peru.

I went through every type of temperature and terrain imaginable: twisty rocky mountain ascents in the highlands of Guatemala, endless long straightaways in the Atacama desert, flooded salt flats in the Altiplanos of Bolivia, bumper to bumper traffic in Mexico, you name it. When things got hot, like in the soul crushing heat of Panama or the steamy jungles of the Amazon, Mark's setup kept me running smooth.

In fact, it worked so well that when things started getting cold in Patagonia, I had to wrap it in foil so that the oil would actually get above 200 degrees (the lesson here is to pay a little extra money and get the manual bypass)!

I had one problem with the kit on my trip: about 2,000 miles into Mexico, two small cracks formed around the lugs on the Jagg cooler. This was in no way Mark's fault: he orders this component straight from Jagg, he doesn't make it himself. I'm assuming this one just slipped by the Quality Control guys at Jagg. When I told Mark about my problem, he immediately jumped into action, telling me the best way to fix it and sending me a brand new cooler at no extra cost! His response and actions were awesome! Amazing customer service!

Not only does Mark's kit look good, it's tough! Throughout my trip, I dumped my bike more times than I can remember. I even crashed it a few times on the pavement and was also hit by a car broadside!

Throughout it all, the kit held up admirably. The mounting hardware withstood the toughest abuse imaginable and emerged unscathed. That bike has been running with Mark's setup for over 28,000 miles now with absolutely no engine troubles and it's still going strong. I think that is a testament to Mark's work.

My second XR650L, "El Viajero", does not have Mark's product. I regularly hit temps of 275 degrees or greater, even when riding in only moderately warm weather! Last month I rode "El Viajero" for over 4,500 miles from Florida to Oregon via the southern states (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California). Despite it being mid to late fall and relatively cool ambient temps, my oil was regularly cooking in the upper 200's! I ruined two batches of oil because I was so used to being able to ride at high speeds on an XR and maintain low engine temps that I didn't pay attention to what was going on. As soon as I have the money, I'll be buying another kit from Mark.

Having a Sutton Cooler on your XR650L/XR600R/NX650 is a must! It will keep things cool, help your engine run stronger, and make your bike last longer! And it makes your bike look badass!

Thanks for everything Mark!

Bryce
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #281
rich.in.orlando
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Just got mine

I just installed mine last night. Mark's documentation was spot on so it went on without a hitch. The only tricky part was getting the hose coming from the oil tank routed so that it didn't interfere with the spark plug cap. His instructions tell you to fit it however it works best. So no problems, but I had to just experiment with the right location so the hose didn't kink. Took about 10 minutes for me to get that worked out. The test ride last night was uneventful; i.e., no leaks!

BTW, my wife writes O&M manuals for mechanical systems (hydraulic systems, electrical controls, etc.) so I showed her Mark's manual. She declared it to be "excellent!"

I have a 4.7 gal Clarke tank so my home-made support brackets went right between the mounting boss and Mark's hose brackets with no problems:

I am about to go for a several hour long ride including interstate riding for temperature control evaluation. I had some problems last year with the oil temp reaching around 280 at 75 mph, even with a jury-rigged XR400 oil cooler on board. That caused some problems and I ended up needing some engine work. I suspect that there were some oil flow issues with that oil cooler.

I have an XR400 oil cooler for sale now if anyone is interested.

I did a short high speed ride last week and I saw oil temps around 260 F that wouldn't come down even when I was of the interstate. I was concerned so I got the oil cooler. Temps today will be in the mid-upper 60's so this ride should be a good test. I can say that the oil cooler temperature was quite warm last night so oil is flowing through it without problems.
To live for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.-R. Pirsig
rich.in.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #282
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark View Post

Cheers,
Mark
This isn't an accurate drawing. The oil goes back the spine and returns to the downtube through the horizontal engine brace where the coil etc mounts to. I was at steve's and he had a cut in half frame where we noticed. FYI for everyone taking notes.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #283
Noobens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Installed one for a customer on a XL600R today. Went smoothly! Excellent product and great instructions. This should help this bike out considerably for the 105+ degree Kansas summers! Thanks GSMark!
1964 CA95
Past bikes: KLR650, XT225, CBR600F4i, GSX750F, Buell Blast
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #284
Sertguy
2 Wheel Junkie

Oddometer: 9
Installed GSMark's HD oil cooler on my XR650L today and went together perfect; not one temper tantrum. What a deal. This is the way all accessories should be. Thanks!

Sean
2013 BMW GSA
2012 Ibis Mojo HD
Sertguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:13 AM   #285
Dhalrah
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I am saving up for sure!
Dhalrah is offline   Reply With Quote