Welcome back buddy.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #302
Itchykawa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSmith View Post
Being that gravity is not your friend in this situation, you'd have two options.

1) Go to sleep knowing that you left dirty oil in the cooler during the oil change...

2) Remove the lines and the cooler during the oil change and let them drain.

The design of the XRs always retains some dirty oil in the reservoir anyhow, so if that doesn't make you crazy, this shouldn't either.
Thanks. So it is perfectly acceptable to leave a measurable quantity of old oil in a motorcycle engine on every oil change. Interesting. I guess it would have to be better than riding around overheating for sure.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #303
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchykawa View Post
Thanks. So it is perfectly acceptable to leave a measurable quantity of old oil in a motorcycle engine on every oil change. Interesting. I guess it would have to be better than riding around overheating for sure.
look at capacty charts for oil changes on cars.they list a capacity with and without filter change.......and also capacity at engine rebuild..it`s usually 1/2 liter or so more at rebuild,,so at every oil change on your car 1/2 liter of old oil remains,,no one seems to fuss over that..

You are increasing the oil capacity with an oil cooler too.....and change roughly 95% of the oil when doin an oil change,,i wouldn`t worry about it at all..

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #304
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 875
Will be away for a week

Hi Guys,

I will not be able to ship any product between Friday, June 20th and Friday, June 27th. My darn day job is getting in our way.
I will have limited email access also. If I don't respond to email, please try a PM.

I have everything in stock now.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Mark
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #305
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,328
I sent you an email Mark,didn`t realize you were off till tomorrow,nothing important anyway..keep up the good work boss.

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #306
Rex Mundi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Have ordered mine and waiting on the mail to get from Arizona USA to me in England... the wait is gonna kill me haha

Big Thanks Mark
Rex Mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #307
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Mundi View Post
Have ordered mine and waiting on the mail to get from Arizona USA to me in England... the wait is gonna kill me haha

Big Thanks Mark
Clearing UK Customs right now.

Stay cool!
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
Old 10-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #308
Bajabob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
10 pass cooler?

Just wondering if the mount would support the Jaag 10 row cooler for extra cooling capacity? What's your turn around time at the moment, I'd like to pick one up soon. thanks, Bob
Bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #309
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchykawa View Post
Look at a XR650L owners manual. In the maintenance section, it specifies oil and filter change intervals. The filter is supposed to be changed every other oil change, as specified by Honda. That means that a measurable amount of oil is left in the filter housing every other oil change.

As mentioned, there is always some oil left in the engine anyway, which applies to just about any engine. There are always places where oil pools.

Try this:

Drain the bike's crankcase and reservoir oil. Leave the crankcase plug out, lean the bike all the way over on the right side, pick the bike back up and notice how much more oil just came out of the crankcase. Unless you lay the bike over to the right, there is always oil pooled on top of the head that stays there. Laying the bike to the right allows the oil to drain into the crankcase via the cam chain tunnel (which is the only way the oil gets back into the crankcase anyway).

On an update, I've been enjoying Mark's oil cooler and haven't had any problems. I do suggest the bypass for cold weather though. Anything below 50f and the oil temp seldom gets over 200f
Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #310
oz-adventure 83
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark View Post
I am manufacturing and selling aluminum, rubber isolated, oil cooler kits for the Honda XR650L, XR600, XL600R and NX650/Dominator.
This kit is of my own design and handcrafted with the highest quality parts that I could produce and the highest quality of materials.

The Honda XR650L kit will fit the stock fuel tank with scoops, the Clarke, Acerbis, Aloop, and IMS tank as well.
It works with "big fin" heads and FMF stainless head pipes.

Frame Supported:

NX650/Dominator Version with black cooler:

Upgrade kit for the early design:
I've added an upgrade kit for the people that purchased the original oil coolers. (Thank you all)
This new guard is rubber mounted and still attaches to the frame.
This kit includes low profile oil cooler bolts, aluminum counter-sunk washers, new motor mount bolt /washer, and new guard.
This will fit the XR650L and the XR600.

I inspect and clean up the threaded bosses on each oil cooler now.
You will not have to do anything to them
(we had a few with problems on the very 1st batch).

For anyone not familiar with the evolution of this kit, they can follow the production process starting here at #34:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=500646&page=3

I have posted over 100 photos of my trials and tribulations of the building process on that thread. Many questions about this kit can be answered there.

I can answer one question right now: No, the hose does not come close to the exhaust header/pipe. This is not a issue.

Stock XR650L fuel tank with scoops. (old oil cooler guard design shown)

By-pass valve options:

The Jagg by-pass valve directs the oil away from the cooler when you are riding in lower temperatures.
It does not shut the oil off going to the cooler, but opens a passage of less resistance for the oil to travel,
thus bypassing the cooler. By-pass valves are sold separately.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

I am now offering an emergency oil cooler by-pass repair kit.
I case of damage to your oil cooler, you can easily make a repair and continue your ride.

Includes:
A stainless steel, barbed "U" bend tube.
Two end caps to keep junk from getting lodged in the tube while it is bouncing around in your tool bag.
Two American made stainless steel hose clamps. The clamps are slightly smaller than the black ones supplied with the kit. They fit the oil line and are able to clamp down to 1/4 inch so you can use them for other repairs like fuel lines, etc.
Comes in a 4 mil plastic zip-lock so you can keep the kit in your tool bag or pocket.

Price: $20.00 Including shipping in the USA.

__________________________________________________ ________________

A note to all:
I do not make motorcycle products for a living (I have a day job as a graphic artist). I am just a guy that has spent years building things in my shop for my own bikes. I have a small lathe and milling machine that I use for making parts. After showing my oil cooler design on the ADVrider forum, many people requested that I make this available. I agreed. This turned out to be a huge 6 month long undertaking. It has been on my bike since July, 2010 with no problems.
I live in Arizona (USA) and ride to work year round, sometimes in 115+ degrees Fahrenheit. I decided that an oil cooler would help my Honda XR650L. I did a lot of research online on this topic before I decided to do this project, so I cut, machined, bent, and twisted a bunch of aluminum to mount a Jagg oil cooler to my bike.
I did not take temperature measurements before and after I installed the cooler, though an inmate (Mr. Bill, thank you) using the same Jagg cooler, reported that he has a 25 degree F drop in temperature.

This kit uses a Jagg oil cooler core (Jagg part #3110).

Illustrated and detailed instructions will be provided with each kit.

HOW TO ORDER:
Note* Bare aluminum coolers now in stock *
Choose the kit and add $15.00 for USPS Priority Mail Insured shipping in the USA. Contact me for international shipping quotes. mark@mega.net
When ordering, please include a message with your bike model, oil cooler color.

Price:
XR650L, XR600, XL600R $319.00
NX650 / Dominator.......$309.00

XR650L/XR600 HD Upgrade Kit.....$75.00 Including shipping in the USA.
Emergency Repair Kit..... $20.00 Including shipping in the USA.

There are two options for the Jagg by-pass valve:
Manual by-pass........ $74.95.
Thermostat by-pass valve...... $94.95.

You can make a PayPal payment to:
mark@mega.net
or
Personal check is okay.
Send a check and your shipping address to:
Mark Sutton
PO Box 25185
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
If I run out of kits, don't worry. I will make as many as I have to.

Please remember that I have a "day job" and my response to questions, orders and PMs might take longer than expected. Rest assured I will answer everybody ASAP.

This Kit Is For Closed Course Competition Use Only. Not Intended for Street Use.
This kit requires the relocation of the stock smog pump located on the left side of the engine.
I do not supply the parts to relocate the stock smog pump.
You should always check your state's laws with regard to the use of aftermarket parts.
On NX650 models, the stock tool kit will have to be removed / relocated.
This kit is sold without expressed or implied warranties, yet I am sure that I can help with any problems that you might have, short of replacing your engine. If your are not comfortable with this, please don't purchase it.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

Can you please confirm delivery for 2 x oil coolers delivered to Australia suit XR600. They are an awesome bit of kit, can't wait to here from you.
oz-adventure 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #311
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Shipping to Australia XR600 X 2

Hi OZ,
PM sent.
You can email me at

mark@mega.net

if you wish.
Works better for me and much easier attaching photos.

Cheers
Mark
Old 03-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #312
Dhalrah
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Oil cooler

Hi Mark,

Going to send you a payment over pay pal. I have a XR650l, looking for the HD kit with powder coated oil cooler. Do you just look and see if payment posted? Going on right now and sending payment. Let me know if you get it. Hopefully you are still making these. Been looking for two years now.
Dhalrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 AM   #313
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalrah View Post
Hi Mark,

Going to send you a payment over pay pal. I have a XR650l, looking for the HD kit with powder coated oil cooler. Do you just look and see if payment posted? Going on right now and sending payment. Let me know if you get it. Hopefully you are still making these. Been looking for two years now.
Hi Dhalrah,
Thanks for looking at my oil cooler kits.
I am still making them.
Paypal will notify me when a payment is made.
Please make sure that you add note with your bike model and choice of cooler core finish when ordering.

Cheers
Mark
Old 03-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #314
Dhalrah
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb excellent.

I have wanted one of these fot a while. Having issues w/paypal I will call them and rectify.
Dhalrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #315
djhep
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi Mark......
E-mail sent requesting price for an XR650L oil cooler incl. shipping to U.K.

Cheers.

Dave
djhep is offline   Reply With Quote