ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
N.C. Title Transfer Help?

Hopefully someone who lives in NC can help with this problem. I live in Pennsylvania and just sold a bike to someone who lives in NC. He came and got the bike, I signed the title and he went on his way. He called today to tell me the NCDOT/DMV said the title needs to be notarized? Is this true? Is there any way around it? I have sold numerous bikes to out of state people and never had a problem. Anyone out there a notary that might be able to help?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Scott

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 685
yes, title needs to be notarized. Just have him send it back, and go to your bank. They'll do it for free.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
It should just have to be executed properly per the directions on the title. NC Titles require a notary but I don't know anything about Pennsylvania titles. I've bought bikes from SC before. SC Titles don't require a notary and NC accepted them executed properly. Do Pennsylvania Titles have a spot that a notary is supposed to execute?
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
It should just have to be executed properly per the directions on the title. NC Titles require a notary but I don't know anything about Pennsylvania titles. I've bought bikes from SC before. SC Titles don't require a notary and NC accepted them executed properly. Do Pennsylvania Titles have a spot that a notary is supposed to execute?
Yes, There is a spot for a notary stamp on a PA title. I have only used a notary when selling to someone in PA. When I have sold to out of staters I always just sign the title, never had an issue before. Likewise when buying a vehicle from another state I have always just gotten a signed title and never had an issue here even though PA requires a notary for in state transfers.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,174
Just like was stated, Have him mail it back to you. You get your signature notarized and mail it back to him. Just the cost of a couple stamps and he is good to go.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 765
I live in Charlotte and I had to get my title notarized when I purchased a bike from a private owner in Alabama.

No way around it unless you know a Notary that will notarize a title with only one party being present versus both.

Jon
Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
weathermanmark
ROLL TIDE

Oddometer: 7
Cool2 NC title

[QUOTE=ScottV;14971899]Hopefully someone who lives in NC can help with this problem. I live in Pennsylvania and just sold a bike to someone who lives in NC. He came and got the bike, I signed the title and he went on his way. He called today to tell me the NCDOT/DMV said the title needs to be notarized? Is this true? Is there any way around it? I have sold numerous bikes to out of state people and never had a problem. Anyone out there a notary that might be able to help?

The only (legal) problem is that both the seller and buyer are supposed to be there together for the notarized title to become legal and binding. (Had the same problem awhile back).
If he hadn't already went to the DMV, he could have found someone to just notarize the damn thing. Now hes either got to hook back up, OR... wait a month, then find someone he knows and just have them do it.
What part of NC?
I'm in the western end, if you're close i might know someone who knows a guy.
weathermanmark
weathermanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,880
The State that a person is trying to register (get a new title) a bike in, has to follow the state rules/laws on the current title. I found this out after purchasing a bike in NC, which requires a notary to sign off on it, although my state (GA) doesn't. I just found a notary that was willing to sign it without both parties there and took it back up there. Easy as pie.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

I don't know if he signed yet or not. If he signed it I don't know how I'm going to get notarized if he sends it back without him being present?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,075
Last time I bought a bike (2 months ago) we met midway in Emporia, VA and transferred everything at a UPS Store for $5 (most have a notary on site). Even though SC and DE aren't notary states, the DMV always seems to appreciate the fact that the title is notarized.

It sounds like the easiest, but not the most enjoyable, solution to the dilemma might be a middle ground meeting with a notary. Good Luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #11
chief_919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
[QUOTE=weathermanmark;14973337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
Hopefully someone who lives in NC can help with this problem. I live in Pennsylvania and just sold a bike to someone who lives in NC. He came and got the bike, I signed the title and he went on his way. He called today to tell me the NCDOT/DMV said the title needs to be notarized? Is this true? Is there any way around it? I have sold numerous bikes to out of state people and never had a problem. Anyone out there a notary that might be able to help?

The only (legal) problem is that both the seller and buyer are supposed to be there together for the notarized title to become legal and binding. (Had the same problem awhile back).
If he hadn't already went to the DMV, he could have found someone to just notarize the damn thing. Now hes either got to hook back up, OR... wait a month, then find someone he knows and just have them do it.
What part of NC?
I'm in the western end, if you're close i might know someone who knows a guy.
weathermanmark

Yup, both are supposed to sign at once. In NC posesson of an "open title" where the seller has signed but not the buyer is a class II misdemeanor, punishable by up to 60 days in jail.........
chief_919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
lxstroker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
the right answer has been posted several times that both parties are supposed to be present but there should be someone available who will be willing to give him the notary stamp without him having to send the title back to PA. Good luck!
lxstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

[QUOTE=chief_919;14978123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathermanmark View Post

Yup, both are supposed to sign at once. In NC posesson of an "open title" where the seller has signed but not the buyer is a class II misdemeanor, punishable by up to 60 days in jail.........
, Uh oh, I hope he doesn' t identify himself here. Does anyone in NC know a notary that would be willing to help? Please PM me.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
maxjett
maxjett

Oddometer: 504
I'm quiet sure the Notary must be a Pa. Notary. MY wife is a notary and in NC the signature being notarized is the seller only. The new new buyer should fill out his info prior to going to the DMV to avoid questions.
I have sold and shipped many bikes and with only my signature and a notary stamp. BUT NC DMV has to be the worst state for titling anything.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #15
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,510
tell him to try a different DMV office.

If the buyer has a Bill of Sale, and the signed title, a good DMV clerk ( contractors BTW) will just do the notary themselves.

Tell him to keep trying clerks until he gets one that has some common sense.

I have bought 3 out of NC bikes and never had an issue with the stamp.
an in state transfer, thats a whole 'nother deal.