User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Schickmeister OP
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
New Tires for the Versys

Looking to put some new rubber on the Versys before the warmer months are upon us!

What I am looking for is a tire that is at MOST 70/30 on/off road. But even that is being very generous to the offroad amount. That being said, the stock tires suck balls for anything other than pavement.

I'd like to be able to handle some dirty work without being so nervous about it but just as easily hop on the highway for a couple hundred miles as well! Am I searching for something I'll never be able to find?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Looking to put some new rubber on the Versys before the warmer months are upon us!

What I am looking for is a tire that is at MOST 70/30 on/off road. But even that is being very generous to the offroad amount. That being said, the stock tires suck balls for anything other than pavement.

I'd like to be able to handle some dirty work without being so nervous about it but just as easily hop on the highway for a couple hundred miles as well! Am I searching for something I'll never be able to find?

Tourance ! ! ! If you need more, run a TKC in the front with a Tourance in the rear.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,520
I really like Avon Distanzia's on my SE . . . plan to put them on my Versys next:
Avon AM43 Distanza Dual-Sport Front Tire
Advanced tread pattern designed for on-off road applications
  • On-off road tire designed for larger capacity dual-sport machines
  • Unique VBD (Variabl Belt Density) construction gives excellent straight line stability and improved grip in corners
  • High-mileage compound for long distance touring
  • H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph

\\

2014 DL650A for the "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554

Anakee 2. Awesome tire. Great grip in mud, rain, gravel, and great longevity.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,354
Go back and take a closer look at the tire sizes. The Versys uses 120-70-17 front, 160-60-17 rear. Most of the tires mentioned in this thread either don't fit the 17" Versys rims properly or only come in a super soft Supermoto compound.
Pirelli claims they will release their Scorpion trail in sizes to fit the Versys at the Dealer show in Indianapolis in February.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
The short answer is you can't get there from here. At least not in stock sizes.

The Versys has a 17" front (120/70-17) which makes the D/S tire choice slim - Avon Distanzia, Pirelli MT60RS and Pirelli Scorpion Trail. The first two are supermoto compounds in this size (both excellent performers, but short life), the last one a 95/5, maybe 90/10, tire. It's not a lot better in the rear, the 160/60-17 size limits your choices again (Distanzia and MT60 are SM tires in this size. If you ride like they were meant to be ridden, you should expect 2-3K out of one of those rears). Luckily, a 150/70-17 fits and opens up a lot of options without affecting handling too much. Pirelli is said to have a Scorpion Trail in the OE size on the way, so if you can live with a 90/10 setup, that would be the ideal solution. Or you can mix and match, a Distanzia in OE size up front and a 150/70-17 of your choice.

Search this section (and the Versys forums), there are lots of threads on tire options for the Versys.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,710
lift the front fender (lower bolt to up spot &support bracket, buy extra oem brake line, single master cycl banjo bolt goes down to caliper & 2 line caliper bolt up to master cycl)

now you can run tubless 130-17" rear tires. shinko 705 is popular

some have had luck with 120-17" 705 even though it's rated tubbed.
shinko usa is talking to shinko korea about a tubless 120 705 and maybe a tubless 700.

newest tiger & multistrada also use 120-17" front so there is traction in the market.

use what any 150-17" in the rear.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,191
I'm running the Distanzias on my Uly. 5.5k good miles on the rear with the 160 (180 is a stock rear Uly tire) with no issues. Front will go at least 10k.
90% of my miles are fully loaded with gear with a mix of mostly 2 lane, dirt/gravel and a little slab. Will be running them until something better comes along.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
Schickmeister OP
Youngin'

Thanks for the info guys!

Looks like the tire debate is a big can that says WORMS all over it.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
metropolis2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Looks like the tire debate is a big can that says WORMS all over it.
Absolutely, and it is also purely opinion based! One man's gold is another man's slippery, useless tyre that only lasts 200 miles.

Personally I'd go with the Avon Distanzia's although I've got to say I've never ridden a bike with them on, I've just seen very positive reviews and they seem extremely popular.

That said, you might discover something ideal by accident. I bought a GS with an Anakee on the back and would never have tried that tyre before but now I'm extremely impressed with it.
metropolis2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
I'm running the Distanzias on my Uly. 5.5k good miles on the rear with the 160 (180 is a stock rear Uly tire) with no issues. Front will go at least 10k.
90% of my miles are fully loaded with gear with a mix of mostly 2 lane, dirt/gravel and a little slab. Will be running them until something better comes along.
Would you mind showing us a photo of the rear tire with the 160 tire? I am considering the same option. Thank you.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Finding true dual-sport tires for the Versys is difficult. That being said, I put the Avon Distanza on the front and a Metzler Tourance on the rear of my wife's Versys when we went to Alaska last summer. Both performed extremely well, handled the gravel roads such as the Top of the World Highway fine, and lasted over 10,000 miles.

I did have concerns about the front Avon lasting the entire trip because its a super-moto tire but it easily made the distance. Wife said the combo handled better than the stock Dunlops.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Schickmeister OP
Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Finding true dual-sport tires for the Versys is difficult.
Well...I think my point may be missed a little bit. I'm not really looking for a pure bred dual sport tire.

Obviously a tire that is made to go off road as well make its dual-sport...but what I am really looking for is just a tire that will allow me to go off the beaten path a little bit on occassion with better handinling and traction than stock. If there is a street tire that fits that bill...I'm game!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
The Anakee 2 (and probably most other major big trailie tires) comes in a 120/90-17 front. I'm sure that would fit fine. It's a 24mm overall height difference. The 150 section rear should work fine, too. People run those sizes on SVs, and they're fine.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,238
This might help...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=283
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote