User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
woodragon OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
1150 GSA ABS pump

To anyone with insight on this matter: My 2003 BMW 1150GS Adventure has ABS failure on the rear brake. The servo assisted sound one hears does not work on the rear and the dealer has told me there is no other way but to replace the ABS pump, at a cost of $2400.00 for the part alone! Is there anyone out there with experience in this issue? Also, if anyone can recommend an independent BMW mechanic in the South Florida area, I would be delighted not to give the dealer one more dime. To rephrase my first question: Is there a way of repairing the ABS pump for the rear without junking the whole thing? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
woodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Any idea what fault code it's giving? Could be alot of things. I'm no expert on servo model abs, but I would check the sensors and relays before I bought a new pump. You can also find used pumps on ebay and beemer boneyard if you have to go that route. Look in the wisdom section (link at bottom) for lots of info on ABS.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodragon View Post
To anyone with insight on this matter: My 2003 BMW 1150GS Adventure has ABS failure on the rear brake. The servo assisted sound one hears does not work on the rear and the dealer has told me there is no other way but to replace the ABS pump, at a cost of $2400.00 for the part alone! Is there anyone out there with experience in this issue? Also, if anyone can recommend an independent BMW mechanic in the South Florida area, I would be delighted not to give the dealer one more dime. To rephrase my first question: Is there a way of repairing the ABS pump for the rear without junking the whole thing? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
As far as the internet will yield, no you can't fix the ABS servo. Your best bet is to find a used one, or simply get rid of it per the instructions here on ADV.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Banjax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
This may sound daft,but try changing the tail-light bulb.
I've heard that the ABS controller can be confused if it doesn't see a good working bulb.
Failing that,try Beemer Boneyard for used spares.
You can also remove the Servo shite with info from the HOW.
Banjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Can also try flushing it very thoroughly, using pressure instead of vacuum.
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
BlackJackMarcus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Just been thru same problem in November. Rear brake became clearly not power assisted anymore, red warning light rapidly flashing. Thoroughly flushed the system, oil came out pretty dirty. In view of the crazy cost of replacement the whole ABS/servo/interlink has been removed. Visually apart from the ABS disks now missing you wouldn't know. Braking is different but still more than adequate. Big difference is that there is now 5 kgm missing from just under the p'tank where the servo unit sits. That you will notice. Would I do it again, for sure.
BlackJackMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,853
If it were my bike, I'd bypass the servo/abs system in favor of normal brake system. In fact, I'd do the same with a working servo system.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,392
I hear all the time, the griping about the servo ABS system on the 1150's. What is the wrong with the system? My 1150 GSA has over 70k miles on it and I have had nothing but praise for my ABS system, it works flawlessly. Is there something I need to know about it that hasn't come to a head yet?

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I hear all the time, the griping about the servo ABS system on the 1150's. What is the wrong with the system? My 1150 GSA has over 70k miles on it and I have had nothing but praise for my ABS system, it works flawlessly. Is there something I need to know about it that hasn't come to a head yet?
Their are a number of annoyances with the system with the biggest being the servo can shut down at any time without warning, even while the bikes in motion.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,657
this is just one of the reasons why some in the know prefer their 1150GS be from 2002 or earlier; ABS, but servo-free!

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Their are a number of annoyances with the system with the biggest being the servo can shut down at any time without warning, even while the bikes in motion.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
DougVieques
oldie but goodie

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodragon View Post
I have the exact same problem. I went through tons of material here and on other forums. See the ADV rider thread on the situation here

I used a GS911 (borrowed) but all that I learned is that the pressure in the rear wheel circuit is too high. Is that a fault from the ABS modulator - perhaps a stuck valve - or from the relay not closing a set of contacts - or or or?

beemer boneyard has 0 modulators used neither does e-bay. supposedly there is a guy in Japan that can rebuild the modulator for the K bikes but I do not know if he can repair them for our models.

I hope you find a solution to your problem without the ABSectomy that many people here have recommended. if so, then I look forward to applying that remedy - and vice versa of course.

Perfect is the enemy of good -
Latin American proverb.
DougVieques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
this is just one of the reasons why some in the know prefer their 1150GS be from 2002 or earlier; ABS, but servo-free!

cheers!
Will the ABS "Servo free" system work on an 04? If I had a future problem, could the 02 non servo system replace my servo unit completely and retain the ABS?

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,657
great question.

i don't know for sure, but i imagine you can do anything if you throw enough money at it.

i'm guessing you'd be talking about at least replacing the calipers with the non-whizzy version, and would probably need a different ABS brain as well. i think the sensor rings might be different; don't know about the sensors themselves. don't know if there's anything else (like the master cylinders?) that might be different, but i guess you could poke around through RealOEM and compare P/Ns between the '02 GS and later models.

i've read that the whizzy brakes are supposed to help ABS operate even more effectively, but as well as the non-whizzy version works, i don't see the benefit of the servos outweighing the fuss. (aside from that, i know it's a personal thing, but i prefer the feel and more linear response of the non-whizzy version.)

cheers!

Quote:
Will the ABS "Servo free" system work on an 04? If I had a future problem, could the 02 non servo system replace my servo unit completely and retain the ABS?

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
What is the wrong with the system?
Nothing...until it stops working.

And the parts plus labor is 1/4 - 1/3 the value of the bike.

Thus alternatives are sought.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
DougVieques
oldie but goodie

Oddometer: 88
OEM parts quote - Integral ABS modulator = $2720.72 + core. And so far as I can determine none are available used. Anybody know of a cheaper source?

Perfect is the enemy of good -
Latin American proverb.
DougVieques is offline   Reply With Quote