Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #46
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,020
I'm really looking forward to the 800 Adventure. If it compares to the 800gs like the 990 Adventure does the 1200GS it would be an easy decision for me.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #47
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,668
WTF, after watching the Dakar rally ..... A 650 adventure will do
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #48
KTBen
Barrrp!

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi View Post

Yeah nothing like going riding with a spare engine in your backpack
Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #49
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 440
My humble opinion,
I’m the kind of guy that studies long and hard before I purchase a bike. Being a KTM dirt bike racer, albeit senior now, I naturally chose a 990 adventure and felt like “king of the world.” Riding single the bike has brought out the hooligan in me proven by speeding tickets and warnings. Cross county dirt rides have become fantastic journeys and pure pleasure with the beast between my legs.

However, riding two up with my lovely wife, the FI throttle demon makes me apologize.

My thoughts are… Is this why KTM has been silent about the uncoordinated FI and 990 engine at partial throttle? Oh’ the suspicion, has KTM let us all buy their bike with a known defect and they ignore the problem because all the research, $ and effort is for the new engines and the next generation?

Yes, I still love my bike, but the appearances of big business and profit being more important that customer loyalty is hard to take. I have to deal with that and will.

Kind of like loving a special girl that cheats on you and you forgive her.
KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #50
Aus LC8
Australian Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Wicked

Well it looks like I am coming back home to KTM after changing from my much loved 950 Adventure to a BMW R1200GSA, which has been good, but it just does not provide the smile that the 950 did.

If the 1200 is a reality and it comes in a similar spec(suspension and design intent) as the current 990R then I will be placing my order as soon as its announced officially.
Aus LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #51
soloist666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I test rode a 990 some 12 months ago with the intention of buying new, and using it as a commuter and some cross country touring. But, after the test ride, I felt it was too big. Some of the cross country touring I had in mind included some rutted out four-wheel-drive tracks, which, when I took the 990 on, only succeeded in terrorising me.

So, for the price of a new 990, I bought a S/H '08 GSXR750, which is a hoot on a commute, and a S/H '07 KTM640 ADV, which fulfills the cross country touring role admirably (albeit with a few vibes).

However, if KTM were to introduce a mid capacity twin around the 160-170 kg mark, then I would sell the 2 above and line up for one (and save a set of reg & insurance into the bargain).
soloist666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #52
zenKTM
-

Oddometer: 536
an 800 twin would clearly fill a void that so many people are after, including myself, BUT

KTM FI is rubbish for serious offroad and singletrack, even though their big bikes are capable on these, way too jerky for rough stuff

electronics (like FI) are garbage for serious ADV stuff, just more stuff to go wrong when remote

definitely need more fuel range stock, 500km+
aqualine tanks have their place but look awkward

that diesel suggestion sounded v.interesting, but you'd loose a lot of v-twin fans instantly with shitbox exhaust note that dutched out anyone behind you with both dust and toxic fumes

lets hope they don't go down the BM track with these bikes as difference is the appeal to the loyal orange market

& who is going to make a rear knobby that will withstand any of these bikes, 908's don't cut it

maybe I'll hang on to the 950SE
zenKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #53
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTBen View Post
Yeah nothing like going riding with a spare engine in your backpack

+1 on the bigger engined ADV bike..
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #54
paisa76
new adventurer

Oddometer: 27
The smallest Adventure available should be a 690
They already have a platform for it...

05.5 KTM 950 Adventure
paisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #55
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post

+1 on the bigger engined ADV bike..
Kind of agree, after all I have a 990 ........ But, if new technologies can bring same power on a less weight and Better mileage.

Plus, many guys (privateers) on the dakar never touch an engine! ... And they all were on 450's

A twin 750 or 800 seems like a good idea.

PS KLR's are a workhorse and it are 650's
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #56
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I reckon I'd be happy with a torquey 750 single adv bike (550km range, carrying capacity, comfy seat, wind tunnel tested small farings, GREAT lights, and enough power to run hot grips and heated clothing etc.275mm suspension - with easily adjustable suspension settings (loaded, unloaded)) if it had a wide ratio box - and only weighed about 20 kg's more than the 690. A modern 750 should be able to lope along in top gear at 100 without being unpleasantly vibey.

As far as the FI snatch is concerned, I almost got rid of my 690 because of it. Instead I bought a G2 throttle cam and put the smoothest cam on and it fixed it....do it, it's only about a hundred bucks.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #57
markstrid
Afghani dirtrider

Oddometer: 30
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist666 View Post
I test rode a 990 some 12 months ago with the intention of buying new, and using it as a commuter and some cross country touring. But, after the test ride, I felt it was too big. Some of the cross country touring I had in mind included some rutted out four-wheel-drive tracks, which, when I took the 990 on, only succeeded in terrorising me.

So, for the price of a new 990, I bought a S/H '08 GSXR750, which is a hoot on a commute, and a S/H '07 KTM640 ADV, which fulfills the cross country touring role admirably (albeit with a few vibes).

However, if KTM were to introduce a mid capacity twin around the 160-170 kg mark, then I would sell the 2 above and line up for one (and save a set of reg & insurance into the bargain).
Hahahah your talking about a 950SE:)
markstrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #58
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
A sporty mix between a 640 Adv and a 950 SE would be awesome.
+1

KTM, take a 950 SE and do following changes:
- a lightweight 750cc V-twin. 85hp is enough but keep it lightweight.
- reliable waterpump. No waterpump seal issues.
- reliable fuel pump. Solid state concept.
- extra fuel capacity
- strengthen subframe (to increase luggage-ability)
- frame-mounted side stand
- solid skid plate with solid and dampened mounting points
- increase fuel capacity
- decrease weight
- corrosion resistant exhaust system
- ease of maintenance and wrenching

I would combine the extra fuel capacity and strengthened subframe into 1 concept: subframe which is at the same time auxiliary fuel tank (in combination with a single muffler). This in combination with the current 14 liter fuel tank.

This would make a killer-bike that sets a new standard. I would not hesitate to pay good money for it.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #59
markstrid
Afghani dirtrider

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
+1

KTM, take a 950 SE and do following changes:
- a lightweight 750cc V-twin. 85hp is enough but keep it lightweight.
- reliable waterpump. No waterpump seal issues.
- reliable fuel pump. Solid state concept.
- extra fuel capacity
- strengthen subframe (to increase luggage-ability)
- frame-mounted side stand
- solid skid plate with solid and dampened mounting points
- increase fuel capacity
- decrease weight
- corrosion resistant exhaust system
- ease of maintenance and wrenching

I would combine the extra fuel capacity and strengthened subframe into 1 concept: subframe which is at the same time auxiliary fuel tank (in combination with a single muffler). This in combination with the current 14 liter fuel tank.

This would make a killer-bike that sets a new standard. I would not hesitate to pay good money for it.
markstrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #60
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenKTM View Post
an 800 twin would clearly fill a void that so many people are after, including myself, BUT

KTM FI is rubbish for serious offroad and singletrack, even though their big bikes are capable on these, way too jerky for rough stuff

electronics (like FI) are garbage for serious ADV stuff, just more stuff to go wrong when remote
Without EFI you will never be able to pass todays strict exhaust regulations, so there is no way back to the good old carburator! My personal opinion: the 990 is anyway to heavy for more serious offroad for the majority of riders (incl me), so a ligher 800cc version would make live for us a bit easier. And for sure I would consider getting one! 80-90hp, 20-25liter tank, 5l/100km consumption, max 200kg fully fueled. Then I would even take a loan to get it!