Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #151
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 587
I put a new, rear BB on the F8 last night. 3 tire spoons, some baby powder and wd-40. Confident I can do it trailside. NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #152
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
I put a new, rear BB on the F8 last night. 3 tire spoons, some baby powder and wd-40. Confident I can do it trailside. NVTS
Guess I could'a used your help. Perhaps I was doing it wrong. Never thought a tire could be so difficult.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #153
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
What is the WD-40 for? I'm guessing to slip on the tire, but isn't there a chance of it ruining the tube?

I always use the baby powder on the tube as a rubber on rubber lube, but I thought WD-40 would break down rubber.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #154
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Eh? Tired of waiting . . . will keep waitiing to be tired.

I've been getting very impatient with Heidenau. I bought one of the last 150/70/17 - K60's in Canada almost a year and a half ago and they still have no arrival date. I'm getting tired of waiting and have been looking at alternatives. These Kenda BB's look very tempting.

But, I commute to work year round, besides having fun on gravel and dirt on the weekends. My Heidie's are now exceeding 20,000km's (that's about 12,500 miles for our American friends) with probably another 3-5 km still left on them. Pretty damned impressive!

So I guess I'll keep waiting to be tired . . . with K60's again.

I'm going to buy a K60-140/80/17 to keep on hand and if the 150's happen to arrive in time (before I have to mount it), I'll be able to exchange it. The 140 on a friends DL1000 squared off more quickly than my 150, so I prefer to stick to the 150 for the R1200GS. Let's just hope they haven't screwed with the compound and/or tread to the point they may not wear as well or be as grippy off-pavement. While K60's may not quite as aggressive in dirt as the BB's, but you just can't beat the mileage economy. I'd have to say based on these real-world updates, the BB's seem more like a 20/80 than a 50/50 tire when it comes to wearability. Thanks for the feeback on the BB's.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 07:59 AM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #155
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Guess I could'a used your help. Perhaps I was doing it wrong. Never thought a tire could be so difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
What is the WD-40 for? I'm guessing to slip on the tire, but isn't there a chance of it ruining the tube?

I always use the baby powder on the tube as a rubber on rubber lube, but I thought WD-40 would break down rubber.
Admittedly , TKC-80's are an easy tire to change. But that's just another reason I stick with them.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #156
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 523
You will be lucky to get more than 1200 miles out of a BB rear, it is crap for mileage. The front wears better, I have around 1800 miles on that, and it looks like it will do 4-5000 miles.

I won't run the BB again, you can't plan any distance trips with that rear tire. And it is a bitch to mount, much easier coming off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post
I've been getting very impatient with Heidenau. I bought one of the last 150/70/17 - K60's in Canada almost a year and a half ago and they still have no arrival date. I'm getting tired of waiting and have been looking at alternatives. These Kenda BB's look very tempting.

But, I commute to work year round, besides having fun on gravel and dirt on the weekends. My Heidie's are now exceeding 20,000km's (that's about 12,500 miles for our American friends) with probably another 3-5 km still left on them. Pretty damned impressive!
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #157
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
The old Heidie 150 was a great tire, off road and on. I'm a little worried they've messed with the magic having to re-do the compound to match new European restrictions it might be softer and less long lasting. The tread changes too might make it better on the road, but not as much off road. Like we need more friggin' road biased tires!

I picked up my 'backup tire' today, the 140/80/17, and it now has a small ridge down the center that the 150 didn't have. Not sure how much that will matter off road, but I suspect there is going to be a compromise there at some point when the taller blocks wear down to that strip. Some other photo's of 150's I've seen online have a large zigzag pattern to the center of the tread, completely different! Again, probably for better road wear and/or handling, but I'm doubtful it will bite as well in the soft and loose stuff. Not sure which tread pattern the tires will end up having when they come in. It's confusing to see two different tread patterns for the same tire model.

The old 150 without the centre tread feature was a great tire. I never had a problem with handling, no block tearing problems like some had; they were a bit noisy, but good riding and good wearing. The one I got must have been made at the end of the run before they had to stop making them but used a better compound. I would have stocked up on them if I could have, but by the time I realized I liked the tire, I called all over N. America and nada, zip, . . . they were all gone. I swear I got the last one in Canada!

I fear that Heidenau was not paying attention to their customers and have screwed themselves. I don't think the new 150 is a 50/50 tire anymore and I'll be surprised if it's in demand as much as the old one was once some real-world reviews start hitting the Net. The Kenda BB's look to be a more reasonable alternative to the Conti and Karoo, but still lacking quite a bit in longevity compared to the K60. I guess if you want the off road capability, you're going to have to compromise on wearability, the same as you would on the track. Tires that grip well, whether track wise or trail wise, just don't last as long. It's the price we have to pay.

Update: Decided to stick with the k60 140 rear with the center rib. I really think they ruined the 150 from a 50/50 tire perspective. It's a road tire now. The first thing I noticed about the 140 with the center rib though, was they are much quieter on the road. They're new, so not worn down to the rib at all yet but still a lot quieter. I also figured that the contact patch is three times as wide as the rib, so even when it does wear down to the rib, there is likely to still be fairly good traction in a vertical riding position in softer ground with 2/3 of the contact patch having breaks between the blocks. Who knows, maybe they've hit upon a simple solution to extending tread life and making a quieter tire. I've got a new k60 up front as well, so we'll see how these do.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 07:14 AM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #158
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 671
Wd40 Baby powder??
This BB 150 went on super easy!
Little bit of soapy water.
My buddy was over for the show and we both stood back and laughed.
Wait a minute, these are supposed to be a bitch.
Maybe I got a loose one.

These tires do "step out" quite easily under heavier acceleration... coming from a guy who was on a D606 130.
S.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #159
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
You will be lucky to get more than 1200 miles out of a BB rear, it is crap for mileage. The front wears better, I have around 1800 miles on that, and it looks like it will do 4-5000 miles.
What tire pressures were you running?

I have about 2500k on my rear and the centre groove has just worn down.
I have run about 80% pavement @36psi.
I always do aggressive starts but try not to exceed 110kph.

Just wondering why yours wore down so quick.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #160
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,211
"I try not to exceed 110kph."

What is that in 'merican money? About 70 mph? K-M-N

( Kill Me Now ;))
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #161
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediRrakaD View Post
Wd40 Baby powder??
This BB 150 went on super easy!
Little bit of soapy water.
My buddy was over for the show and we both stood back and laughed.
Wait a minute, these are supposed to be a bitch.
Maybe I got a loose one.
Good for you, mine was a real bitch alone, with tire spoons only. Maybe you're just an "Ace" mechanic.
14 KTM 500 EXC
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #162
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post

36 PSI

I probably ride harder than that, and our roads are pretty tough on tires here, but it was winter/spring. In the heat of summer, that tire would go quick around here.
14 KTM 500 EXC
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #163
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow View Post

I think when people compare mileage on a tire we all have different opinions. My tires don't have much mileage and are about worn out also. I also consider tread that is 70% worn down is shot. I can't bring them down to nothing without the worries of losing traction at a critical point. When I take off my dirt bike tires they have about the same tread height as new Big Blocks or the TKC. Different parts of the world have different surfaces. We have sharp basalt all over here. Everybody wants tires that live a long life but the longer the life generally means harder the tire compound which means less traction. I guess we all need to find a happy median. My .02 cents which is worth less than that!

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #164
dr..jones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quick Review

I've had the Big Block's on my F800GS for about a month now.

I've got approximately 100 mile of pavement and about 50 miles of dirt on them.

I gotta admit... when I first got the tires on, I absolutely hated them. The rear was ok, but the front felt like it just wanted to track straight. Like it didn't want to take the input to turn. I never felt like they were going to break loose in the corners, but just that the front just didn't want to turn in.

The tires really took on a new life as soon as I got them in the dirt. They hooked up really well in the mountain roads I was riding and inspired a lot of confidence.

It seems like the more mileage I get on the tires the better they are handling on the street.

I hope that helps anyone trying to make a decision.

"There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle." -My Dad

"Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness." -Ray Bradburry
dr..jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #165
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
Good for you, mine was a real bitch alone, with tire spoons only. Maybe you're just an "Ace" mechanic.
Nope,
First tubed motorcycle tire. (that's why we laughed)
Familiar with tubeless, for years, on my airheads though.
Changed a few bicycle tubes in my time.

S.