User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #166
aus636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just did 1600km on the kenda BB

So lets say 40% dirt and 60% tar pessure cold 30psi F and 32psi R cold even go lower as the side walls are stiff. Also covered about 150km in heavy rain averaging 130km and tire held well on the road. i notice the BB rap around to the edge of the tire and the bike wants to tip in but that something i have to get use to as the TKC80 are a bit slower. Over all that did the job just have to see how long the rear will last.
aus636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #167
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,905
Here's my K BB @ about 1000 miles.

And here it was new vs my TKC80 @ over 4000 miles.

I don't think they'll last too long.
But I was ripping it up on the BB in E TN/ W NC, including the Cherohala Pkwy and US 129 (Dragon) and it felt very planted. Never slid out once. And I was riding pretty hard on the Dragon and the other roads in that area.
I know, I know...wrong weapon for that fight. But I brung what I brung... I was both surprised and pleased.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #168
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,518
2,000 miles on the big blocks. about 50% road 50% dirt, mud, sand, gravel. they are done. they hooked up nicely and felt very planted until about 1/4 of the knob left then they started to get a little wonky. i'm down to maybe 1/8 of the knob left and they are slicks. the front is holding up nicely; very little if any cupping (unlike the tkc 80).
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #169
srebello
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Price Increase on BB

Just placed my order for a my 650GS and motorcycle-superstore and found out they raised their prices about $10-15 per tire. Luckily I had them in my cart from last week so they were the cheaper price. They were the cheapest price prior to this increase. Look around a bit if youre shopping for them.
srebello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #170
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,064
Your Mileage May Vary

I did this write-up over in the OC about the KBB Tires. I thought I would share it in the other KBB threads,
though I realize my bike is the wrong color.

The Kenda Big Block rear compared to a worn out TKC 80. Wow that's FAT!

Front Big Block vs. worn TKC

and a rear next to a slightly used Scorpion.

The first thing I noticed is the extra width when unmounted. The tire is visibly fatter and measured a full 1/2 inch wider than a TKC or a Scorp. When mounted and inflated they are identical in width. All three tires are within 1/16 of an inch in total width when mounted.

The Kenda Big Block is STIFF! A full one-handed squeeze yields very little movement.

Compare that to the same squeeze on a TKC...

...and a Pirelli Scorpion. We all know how stiff and difficult to mount a Scorpion is.

Over in the Kenda Big Block thread in the GSSpot there was a claim the tire was impossible to mount by hand tools with two big experienced guys and even a tire shop had difficulty mounting it with a machine. I was worried about this since I want to be able to repair a flat trailside when necessary. While the tire is stiffer than a Scorpion I found it no more difficult to mount using only three Motion Pro 8 inch tire tools and a little soapy water. The stiffness made it a little challenging to get the bead into the center channel so I used a woodworking clamp to do this. I'm sure I could figure something out if out on the roadside. When inflating the rear the bead popped into place at only 20 psi. I've never had a Scorpion rear pop into place with so little pressure. I hope this means breaking the bead will be easy. Perhaps it is still impossible to mount this tire by hand on a GS wheel?

They get skinnier when mounted.

I commuted about 50 miles of highway today. My initial impression is they are not as good as TKCs on asphalt. I felt a slight weave at higher speeds (70-80mph). I'll report back when I have more miles on them.

They look mean.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I took them to Death Valley for a proper torture test. Here is a link to the RR.

Here's what they look like after 1200 miles.

Rear

Front

I'm still wondering how long they can last.

They are very different than the similar looking TKC's. On the pavement they are a little noisy, especially on the brakes. The front feels a little twitchy at speeds over 70. It doesn't get worse at higher speeds, and they actually felt a little better with the bike loaded up with all my gear. I haven't pushed them as hard as TKC's in the corners yet, but they seem to stick fine. I don't mind any of these on-road compromises, because I'm really impressed with the traction off-road.

And they still make the bike look great.

I'll find out how many miles they last me and report back.

__________________________________________________ _____________

I just did another trip, this time 2up and full luggage including a top trunk. Considering how many miles I had planned I was really
worried if this tire would go the distance. It seems like every time we stopped I would check the rear tire half expecting to see
trip ending wear. However; it wore so slowly towards the end of the life.

So here is what they looked like after 2500 miles.

As slowly as the rear wore towards the end I may even be able to get another 500 miles out of it. The little wear bar on the center
seam hasn't even begun to get scrubbed off. Maybe I'll keep it on for a day trip or two to see where they end.

Compared to Continental TKCs, I think this tire does very well. It is not as good on road, but when the going gets tough these tires
are very confidence inspiring. I have put 3500 and 4000 miles on a rear TKC before calling it done. The rear Kenda could definitely
do 2500 miles and maybe a little more. The Kendas are $100 a set cheaper.

Tire Threads are just as opinonated as Oil Threads. No matter the tire, there will be someone declaring the tire junk and claiming it
was shredded in 1000 miles or less.

There are many factors that may influence tire wear. Terrain, riding style, air pressure, weight and power of the bike, weight of rider
and other luggage, etc....

The type of riding I put this set of tires through is thoroughly documented in these 2 Ride Reports. Almost the entire 2500 miles
took place during these 2 trips.

Alone in the Mojave Desert; Death Valley National Park and Mojave National Preserve

The Best of the Grand Canyon With My Son

Death Valley off-road and the long, straight, abrasive, asphalt highways around Arizona are
notoriously bad for tire wear.

Airing down is bad for tire wear. If you run low psi, especially on pavement the flexion in the
tire generates heat accelerating tire wear. I rarely air down, and never run low on pavement.
The benefits of airing down are outweighed by the fact I am usually riding in rocky terrain in
which airing down may result in pinch flats and even more dents in the front rim than I
already get.

I'm a converted street rider without all the dirt bike experience. I generally ride smoothly and
remain hooked up, rarely powersliding. However; I don't ride slow. I keep the ABS on, even
off-road.

78 mph, Saline Valley RD

My guess is that if someone actually wore a KBB or TKC out in 1000 miles they were running low
pressures and spinning the tire up on every corner.

Having said all of that, 2500 miles is to short of a life span for me. However; if I had a trip planned
for less than 3000 miles and thought I needed the off-road traction I would consider another rear.

I do like the KBB front, so far. I will probably get a MEFO SE for the rear to pair with the KBB front.
The front is not yet worn out. It is wearing more evenly than the TKC does. I do ride a lot of
pavement, but want the traction of this KBB front when off road.

The twitchiness of the front at high speeds that I reported has calmed down as the tire wore in.
It was less with a full load of luggage on the first trip, but still present. I was worried about adding
a passenger and the top trunk. I thought adding this much weight that far back would increase
the front stability at high speed, but it seems to have had the opposite effect. I didn't notice the
instability at all during the second trip. I'm not sure if this was due to the tire wearing down the
profile, or if it was due to the additional weight.

BTW, I weigh about 260 lbs with full gear on. My son weighs about 115. My panniers usually add
up to about 80 pounds, but with the top trunk, I'll bet the luggage was over 100 pounds on the
second trip. That's a 475 pound load!

Oh, They still look badass...

...and take you places!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #171
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,406
GNice bike, whatever the color.

As the first of the under 1000 miles guys, I have to say nope to the suggestion that my tires were underinflated . In fact they were at the upper end of recommended pressures. As to the spinning up part. Yeah, that happened a lot. My trip was documented by ghost on this thread.

I also spent a lot of time at 90+. Street and dirt. lol. That will put some heat in any tire and I admitted as much. The first rear, I was trying to kill it. The second I kept my speeds down below 100 and my throttle smoother. A little smoother anyway .

I think I might could have made 1500 miles on that one. My TW 152 is wearing like steel BTW. Better than a Tourances. I may get 4k. Woohoo!!!
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #172
JG55
Almost Normal

Oddometer: 145
It looks like around 3k miles and the rear tire will be shot. KBB front seems a little squirrelly on the highway, some hunting makes front end seem loose. All fork related bolts where checked. Looking forward to a new set of tires, but not Kendas.
JG55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #173
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
I tend to think that the life of a tire, doesn't matter what type or tread, has a great deal to do with the distance traveled from each startup as anyother factor. If you jump on the bike and go till you need gas you will get higher mileage than if you just do a lot of short hops.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #174
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
I just got my set on and now my R1150GS sits almost flat on the centerstand!!!!! These things are a beast but my NOMAR PRO handled them like a pro -- you would think those guys pay me to tout their product, but alas, 'tis not the case.

Now just gotta finish the balancing and ride 'em!!!!! pics to come.
2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4x4, do-it-all Pine Barrens Beastie
ErricZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #175
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,424
Question for those who have used Kendas. I have an opportunity to get a 130 for free, but it seems the conventional wisdom is to avoid such a narrow tire on the 800 rear rim. Does anybody have any experience running a 130 on the 800? any thoughts from Kenda users?
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #176
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,905
130 would seem a bit narrow. While the 150 BB looked like a larger tire than the others I've had, it was not once mounted.
My other point is that the 140's I've seen mounted (granted they were Heidenau K60's) seemed to really square off in that size. I would imagine a 130 would be even worse.

Free is free, but I'd pass. Get one that fits. My next will not be a Kenda Big Block.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #177
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG55 View Post
It looks like around 3k miles and the rear tire will be shot. KBB front seems a little squirrelly on the highway, some hunting makes front end seem loose. All fork related bolts where checked. Looking forward to a new set of tires, but not Kendas.
+1 Very squirrelly tires- when back to the K60's and back to relaxing a little bit on the bike. Got just under 3K out of the rear and the front could have gone a little longer but not worth the hassel. I will not be buying these again.
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #178
PhilTheBiker
Road Muncher

Oddometer: 8
Anyone try a BB size 150 on a DRZ 400sm?

Both wheels I have are 17's.

I was looking at using a BB 150 for the rear ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AJO8BSPGGJBVI ) and a K270 for the front ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AJO8BSPGGJBVI ).
PhilTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #179
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheBiker View Post
Anyone try a BB size 150 on a DRZ 400sm?

Both wheels I have are 17's.

I was looking at using a BB 150 for the rear ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AJO8BSPGGJBVI ) and a K270 for the front ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AJO8BSPGGJBVI ).
You might wan`t to ask that here.....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

One..if not the best DRZ forum out there.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #180
1poser
n00b

Oddometer: 6
new kenda BB

Thanks rediridar for that great insight on the BB.s! Nice KTM also.
I went ahead and got a pair of Kendra BB, for the price I couldn't beat it I'll be happy if I get 3k on my R1200GS.
1poser is offline   Reply With Quote