User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
canuck250f OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
ECE 22-05 vs DOT and Snell Helmet Standards in Canada

With the influx of many new European Helmets (Schuberth, AGV, BMW, Dainese) into Canada I have been asked by many customers what is acceptable and safe.

I also wonderered myself so I did some research and asked some questions and thought I would share the information with you to help with any decisions you make. This was a reply I had from an industry insider that did the research.
  • Most Provinces have not revised their accepted standards for over 20 years
  • Some of the various accepted standards no longer exist or even the helmet brands/models they list no longer exist
  • Any province in Canada that accepts the BSI standard will then by default include the ECE 22-05 automatically as the BSI Standard has been replaced in Great Britan (where BSI Standard orginated) by the ECE 22-05 Standard.
  • Every Province in Canada accepts the BSI Standard except New Brunswick and British Columbia
  • These two provinces also do not list DOT or Snell as accepted standards so this shows they have not been updated as they only list CSA as the accepted standard (Guess you have to wear your hockey helmet!)
  • Quebec accepts ECE 22-05 in their standards
I was told that within the next two years ECE should be listed in Canada and possible the new standard in helmets.

Hopefully this information helps some of you guys out with questions in regards to these standards.

Thanks,
Dean
www.blackfootdirect.com
canuck250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
Thanks for the info. I heard Ontario does not accept the ECE standard..
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
motulfluidforce
Motul FluidForce

Oddometer: 6
Hi Dean Can you tell me where you see that Quebec province accept the ece-22-05 ?
motulfluidforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
TorontoDragon
Just starting

Oddometer: 50
I bought one of the European helmets from you in the summer. I've looked all over the web to find out which provinces require DOT or the ECE rated helmets.

Can you site any of your sources? I'm really interested in following any changes/updates the provinces make and the penalties for riding with a safer helmet (ECE).
TorontoDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
apex100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
The main issue is whether the insurance company will pay up if something bad happens. There won't be a problem if all they have to do is replace a helmet as part of a collision claim. You'd better believe that their legal department is going to get involved if you wind up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life and bring a million dollar claim to their attention. It wouldn't take much for them to make the case the "you were wearing a non-compliant helmet, we're not paying". I've asked my insurance agent about this, I think everyone should who is considering an ECE rated helmet, as you may get a different answer than I did, depending on where you're at.

The irritating thing is that this has nothing to do with the quality of, and protection provided by the helmet itself. Everything I know about these various brands is that they're pretty damn good helmets. I just can't put myself in a bad position when it comes to insurance coverage.
apex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
TorontoDragon
Just starting

My problem with DOT helmets is that I think a tin can would pass the test. Look at those beanie helmets. Not protection at all. A $150 full face helmet offers some protection, but I've owned two of them and after a few weeks you could just tell that they weren't solid.

The helmet I had before my current ECE helmet was held together by electrical tape. I had never dropped it or was in an accident. The lining was falling apart, I had to replace the chin clip ... loads of problems with it.

So, maybe you get what you pay for. I feel better in the Scheberth C3. It feels solid and it feels safe. It's not DOT.

I just want to know the laws in the provinces. I don't want to get a ticket for wearing a non-DOT helmet. I can't find the law on any of the government MOT sites.

Is wearing a DOT helmet a myth or is it the law?

I'm going to keep wearing the C3, but enquiring minds want to know the truth.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
apex100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I believe this legislation is current for Ontario.

104. (1) No person shall ride on or operate a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle on a highway unless the person is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (1).

Idem

(2) No person shall carry a passenger who is under sixteen years of age on a motorcycle on a highway unless the passenger is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 104 (2).

The HTA regulation
R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 610

SAFETY HELMETS
1. A helmet worn by a person,

(a) riding on or operating a motorcycle; or

(b) operating a motor assisted bicycle,

on a highway shall,

(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and

(d) be undamaged from use or misuse. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 1.

2. The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the,

(a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;

(b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;

(c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute; or

(d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer's certification of compliance with the standard. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2.

Based on that, an ECE helmet is non-compliant. I would never assume that the legislative default regarding the change from BSI to ECE is that the new standard is automatically accepted. I'd certainly want to hear it from a lawmaker, rather than an industry insider. If it doesn't state in the law that it's a recognized standard, then it's not.

I think it would take an extremely tiny minded officer to pull you over and charge you with a helmet offense (although they are out there), my concern remains with the potential insurance issues. I'll always buy the best helmet I can, it just won't be one of the ECE certified models at this time.

apex100 screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 07:09 AM
apex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
TorontoDragon
Just starting

Thanks for finding that. I tracked down your source. Heres' the link for others who want to know the more about motorcycle laws in Ontario:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm
Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
Currently BC helmet laws are in limbo until a set of safety standards are agreed on by the legislature and pushed into law.

DOT, ECE and Snell are being tossed around as being the most likely candidates per the current debates in the legislature: http://www.leg.bc.ca/hansard/39th2nd/h00520a.htm
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
tingavert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ontario accept a BSI certified helmet but there must be the sticker on. If the helmet is ECE certified it will have just the ECE label sewed in the chin strap (i.e. no need to certify it with the BSI too - waste of money). What IMHO happened is that with the born of the EU the BSI has lost clients; moreover they were obliged to accept the ECE standard and in order to keep making money the BSI started to certify the helmets according to the ECE guidelines.
Will it be recognised here too? I do not think so: Canada protects its businnes so well even if it's not "made in Canada" but "made in USA".
What are the benefits for canadians? High prices and lower quality (ohh I forgot the crazy law that allow you to use ECE helmets in Quebec but as soon as you drive in Ontario you have to change your helmet).

(written from potential C3 buyer that remained speechless after beeing quoted 1130CAD from the stealer/importer in Montreal) (450 euros back home)
tingavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Vector_In
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hi all!! I just check with my helmet (Shark S800) to see what certification it had. ECE 22-05 and DOT! I think that most helmets from Europe meet all DOT regulations and have Stickers. Also found great article on differences of DOT, SNELL, ECE 22-05. It was written in 2005 http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
2Trider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
A little read on the BC situation...truely messed up here
http://www.bccom-bc.com/news_topics/...ll-version.pdf

Hopefully they get on the same boat as the other provinces...namely the 3 recognized current standards as oppose to a hard shell with a soft lining and a strapstandard

The BC list hummmm...one of my helmets is in there...lol
http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/laws/reg...eg-366-87.html

2Trider screwed with this post 03-08-2011 at 03:27 PM
2Trider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
sadrik
Riding, not posting

Oddometer: 8
ECE 22-05 now approved in Ontario

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registr...ge=en#localnav
sadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Trider View Post
A little read on the BC situation...truely messed up here
http://www.bccom-bc.com/news_topics/...ll-version.pdf

Hopefully they get on the same boat as the other provinces...namely the 3 recognized current standards as oppose to a hard shell with a soft lining and a strapstandard

The BC list hummmm...one of my helmets is in there...lol
http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/laws/reg...eg-366-87.html
http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-...otorcycles.htm
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Citrus32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
ECE 22.05 in Ontario

Well in Ontario anyway, it now looks like the majority of standards, including ECE 22.05 are now accepted:

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registr...postingId=8502

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_900610_e.htm

Looks like at the date of first posting of this thread ECE 22.05 was not.

BSI was largely superceded in the UK by ECE when I was living there, it doesn't mean that ECE=BSI though. The two are completely different tests.

I've asked my insurance company what their views are from a policy perspective if using an ECE 22.05 outside of Ontario would be. Reason being I used to live in Quebec and specifically asked the question to the SAAQ - their response, which don't take to court as evidence as it was verbal and I have no record... Was that the SAAQ insurance would in fact recognise an ECE helmet in all of North America.

I'll post back here what my insurance company (TD) has to say when I hear back.
Citrus32 is offline   Reply With Quote