Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #46
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
Spoon feed it to me.

In like the second paragraph, it says "For 1100 the proper annealing temperature is 650F, for 3003, 775F, and for 5052 it is 650F." ..and the point I was trying to make was; I don't recall anyone saying what alloy it is, so how can you throw a temperature at him? The third paragraph goes on to explain what I had assumed.

Had I not been drinking at the time I originally read this thread, I wouldn't have even responded. I was curious on getting a dialog going, but apparently that was too optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
CCD, sometimes I wonder if you have an aversion to good, experienced advise?
SS, sometimes I wonder if you have an addiction to posting in every thread about how you've done it all, seen it all, and are always right? Actually, I don't wonder..

Quote:
Always willing to learn? Eventually maybe? Like I have said to CDD before, that IS better than some! This is a perfect example at what I am getting at. He accuses robtg of something someone else is doing AND that someone else isn't making near as much sense as robtg while he is doing it!

All is well that ends well but why go through that?
And what wonderful advice are you offering on the subject of annealing?

Oh yeah.. none.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #47
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Spoon feed it to me.

In like the second paragraph, it says "For 1100 the proper annealing temperature is 650F, for 3003, 775F, and for 5052 it is 650F." ..and the point I was trying to make was; I don't recall anyone saying what alloy it is, so how can you throw a temperature at him? The third paragraph goes on to explain what I had assumed.

Had I been drinking at the time I originally read this thread, I wouldn't have even responded. I was curious on getting a dialog going, but apparently that was too optimistic.

SS, sometimes I wonder if you have an addiction to posting in every thread about how you've done it all, seen it all, and are always right? Actually, I don't wonder..

And what wonderful advice are you offering on the subject of annealing?

Oh yeah.. none.

I can see how from your perspective I go on as if I have done it all and know it all and it is a problem. You obviously have little actual experience with this stuff and yet you go on and on. Take me for example, I actually have annealed aluminum a handful of times before but I haven't done it enough to go on about it from memory and I go on about nothing from googling so I set back and LISTENED. 400 degrees didn't make much sense to me but neither did some other stuff he said that I do know more about. Still, I sat back and LISTENED. Robtg shows up and I know that he has WAY more practical, hands on, doing it himself in REAL life experience working aluminum than I do so I LISTENED.

Now I know a little bit more than I did when you already thought I thought I knew everything! And don't expect to see me from here on out going on and on about annealing aluminum as if I have actually done it myself a bunch of times either. You won't see me doing that until I actually have done it myself a bunch of times.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #48
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
I can see how from your perspective I go on as if I have done it all and know it all and it is a problem. You obviously have little actual experience with this stuff and yet you go on and on. Take me for example, I actually have annealed aluminum a handful of times before but I haven't done it enough to go on about it from memory and I go on about nothing from googling so I set back and LISTENED. 400 degrees didn't make much sense to me but neither did some other stuff he said that I do know more about. Still, I sat back and LISTENED. Robtg shows up and I know that he has WAY more practical, hands on, doing it himself in REAL life experience working aluminum than I do so I LISTENED.

Now I know a little bit more than I did when you already thought I thought I knew everything! And don't expect to see me from here on out going on and on about annealing aluminum as if I have actually done it myself a bunch of times either. You won't see me doing that until I actually have done it myself a bunch of times.
It's all about you, man! It's all about you.

Can we rename this supershaft.com?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #49
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
I have annealed 1100, 3003, 5052, 6061, and some mystery alloys and
if you heat to 800 F you will anneal all of them. You can water cool or
air cool, let it slowly cool, it makes no difference. I do it regularly.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #50
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
I have annealed 1100, 3003, 5052, 6061, and some mystery alloys and
if you heat to 800 F you will anneal all of them. You can water cool or
air cool, let it slowly cool, it makes no difference. I do it regularly.
In a home shop, or a factory/job?

Forgive my annoying pursuit, but I am trying to glean the truth, if you will. Every annealing experience I've had is a long, controlled process at different temperatures for different alloys/materials. To say that you can just pic a temperature for multiple alloys.... and water cool, air cool, etc and that "it makes no difference" is interesting to me. You mean after annealing, right? (That's quench-hardening.)

Our definitions of "annealing" must be off.. and not that it matters to some guy bending sheet metal at home for his motorcycle, but I wanted to delve into this topic a bit.

I guess it's how people call aluminum.. "alloy."

Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #51
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:

Forgive my annoying pursuit, but I am trying to glean the truth, if you will. Every annealing experience I've had is a long, controlled process at different temperatures for different alloys/materials. To say that you can just pic a temperature for multiple alloys.... and water cool, air cool, etc and that "it makes no difference" is interesting to me. You mean after annealing, right? (That's quench-hardening.)

Our definitions of "annealing" must be off.. and not that it matters to some guy bending sheet metal at home for his motorcycle, but I wanted to delve into this topic a bit.

Dude, he does all this in a small single car home shop. All old school, all the way it was done way back when.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #52
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:

What I have posted about annealing aluminum is based on my personal
experience. I suggest you actually try it or spend some time researching
as you seem to doubt what has been posted.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #53
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
I suggest you actually try it or spend some time researching as you seem to doubt what has been posted.
Sorry for asking, everyone! Sorry for ruining the thread.

I have only a small, hands-off, theory-based knowledge of metallurgy and annealing, and have gone so far as to use an annealing oven, but I've never set the controls. It was, and still is, a black box to me. I'm not doubting. I was trying to glean practical knowledge from people who have experience. Apparently asking about your experience, so we could all learn, was... too much to ask.

Sheesh, must be winter..

Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #54
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,996
Cool2

...so how 'bout that airbox cover plate, pretty cool huh?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #55
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...so how 'bout that airbox cover plate, pretty cool huh?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #56
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
It's all about you, man! It's all about you.

Can we rename this supershaft.com?
Wrong again CDD! That whole speech was all about learning from someone who has the experience. That wasn't me, it was robtg. I am just trying to help you get past needing to be spoon fed all the time. You seem to be mistaking talking about one's own experiences as self centered. Some call it sharing their experience.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #57
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Sorry for asking, everyone! Sorry for ruining the thread.

I have only a small, hands-off, theory-based knowledge of metallurgy and annealing, and have gone so far as to use an annealing oven, but I've never set the controls. It was, and still is, a black box to me. I'm not doubting. I was trying to glean practical knowledge from people who have experience. Apparently asking about your experience, so we could all learn, was... too much to ask.

Sheesh, must be winter..
You didn't start off on this topic asking questions! You started off telling someone with way more experience how to do something that he does all the time. You need to ask yourself who this is REALLY about. Or maybe get on a forum with a topic that are very experienced with. That would build up your confidence maybe and help you here. As it is, you have got an annoying way of asking!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #58
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Much needed thread hijack START:

I'm known for stating things as they are and calling a spade a spade just ask the Maine riders so here goes:

SS---Honestly man, you come into my thread on day one and tell me that I have no idea what I'm doing and that I halfass everything. Before you even know the entire story. Seems every thread you post on, you act like a know it all, you counter everyones comments with I, I, I and turn an otherwise good thread bad. You act like you are the only expert on ADVrider, the one with all the answers. I honestly don't care if you personally designed BMW boxers yourself and have insider information. I'm tired of your arrogance and conceited attitude and I'm sure everyone else is. Show some respect where it's due and don't be such a complete asshole to everyone. Trust me, there are folks here who are a lot more knowledgable than you who ONLY chime in when the knowledge is needed. Take a lesson, it would serve you well

You wondered what this meant: SS= It means "Hey I'm supershaft and I have all the answers, look at me!!!!, look at me!!!!"

Hijack ended/>

Sorry folks, but I had to tell this guy off. His attitude has been grating me for a while.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #59
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Much needed thread hijack START:

SS---Honestly man, you come into my thread on day one and tell me that I have no idea what I'm doing and that I halfass everything. Before you even know the entire story. Seems every thread you post on, you act like a know it all, you counter everyones comments with I, I, I and turn an otherwise good thread bad. You act like you are the only expert on ADVrider, the one with all the answers. I honestly don't care if you personally designed BMW boxers yourself and have insider information. I'm tired of your arrogance and conceited attitude and I'm sure everyone else is. Show some respect where it's due and don't be such a complete asshole to everyone. Trust me, there are folks here who are a lot more knowledgable than you who ONLY chime in when the knowledge is needed. Take a lesson, it would serve you well

You wondered what this meant: SS= It means "Hey I'm supershaft and I have all the answers, look at me!!!!, look at me!!!!"

Hijack ended/>

Sorry folks, but I had to tell this guy off. His attitude has been grating me for a while.
You two are cracking me up! All that after I have tried to point out that somebody here knows what he is talking about AND IT ISN'T ME, IT'S ROBTG! You read ALL my posts and you are SURE how everyone feels. GET OVER YOURSELF!

FYI, I have got quite a few complements on my posts here on the forum, through PM's and in person.

Do you really want me to bog down this forum going on about what I think of some of your posts? I could go on as long or longer than you do about me. I have friends that talk about you and others on this forum too. It isn't good but why go there here!

I thought I would add something about your little joke. I have all the answers? If only more would enter posts when they did. I would have a LOT less BS to go through to get to the good stuff!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #60
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
SS=

Sorry SS What was that??

If others wish to do the same go here;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/profi...?do=ignorelist

Perhaps we we stop listening to him, he'll go elsewhere

The Raven screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 10:07 AM
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote