ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
DC1200 OP
KTM 990R Adv

Oddometer: 61
990 Adventure TPS problem?

G'day all,

Got an odd thing happening for the last few hundred kilometers with my late 2006 990 Advventure.

Idles fine, revs fine in neutral, but when riding it sometimes wants to hold the revs up higher, 3/3500ish. Wants to keep driving the bike with the throttle closed, and will very slowly come down as you coast along back to idle (just not as quick as it would usually when shutting off the throttle), but it will drop straight back to idle when the clutch is pulled in. Pretty annoying when coming into corners and stuff...

The throttle cables all adjusted OK, action is smooth as with G2 +400 cam, new air filter, clean fuel filter etc.

Got me thinking the TPS may be out of spec/ adjustment. Went over it as per the manual, here's what I found.-

Manual spec says- Test black and yellow wires from TPS with multimeter, ignition on, should get 0.5V- 0.6V throttle closed, 3.6V-3.7V with throttle open.

Here's what I got-

front TPS throttle closed = 0.62V open = 3.90V

rear TPS throttle closed = 1.03V open = 1.03V

Hmm....front's a tiny bit out, not worth adjusting just yet.

EDIT- Upon closer inspection, the rear controls the secondary throttle butterflies, however should the reading be the same as the front (there's nothing in the manual mentioning the rear TPS adjustment), and could this be causing the surge/ higher revs with a closed throttle?

Anyone else came across this before?

Cheers, Dan.

DC1200 screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 12:48 AM
DC1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
wildehond
wildehond

Oddometer: 334
Mine also did that at some stage. The battery was a bit tired at that stage. Replaced the battery and had the ECU reset. Problem solved.
FI bike as quite sensitive to the state of the battery.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
DC1200 OP
KTM 990R Adv

Thanks wildehond,

Yes I thought about the battery also. The current one is about 18 months old, and gets regular use too.

I checked all the conections/ plugs, the stator to regulator plug had a bit of muddy crap around it but the terminals were still clean. I cleaned them up with contact cleaner, and will keep an eye on this in the future. It seems to cop some spray off the front wheel in the wet, which isn't ideal I know.

I'll re-check the battery voltage when I get a chance, but pretty sure it is not a problem at the moment though.

How did you go about getting the ECU reset, through a dealer, or the mystical 15 minute idle trick? I tried the 15 minute idle too with no result.

Cheers, Dan.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
wildehond
wildehond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1200 View Post
Thanks wildehond,

Yes I thought about the battery also. The current one is about 18 months old, and gets regular use too.

I checked all the conections/ plugs, the stator to regulator plug had a bit of muddy crap around it but the terminals were still clean. I cleaned them up with contact cleaner, and will keep an eye on this in the future. It seems to cop some spray off the front wheel in the wet, which isn't ideal I know.

I'll re-check the battery voltage when I get a chance, but pretty sure it is not a problem at the moment though.

How did you go about getting the ECU reset, through a dealer, or the mystical 15 minute idle trick? I tried the 15 minute idle too with no result.

Cheers, Dan.

The battery that gave the problems was a cheapy after market one and it only had 12 months use. But the bike was not used much at that stage and a lot of short runs to the shop, less than 5km. This probably is not enough to recharge the starting load on the battery.

The reset was done by the Dealer. Luckily they are quite close to where I work so that was easily done.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
DC1200 OP
KTM 990R Adv

I talked to the dealer's V-twin guru today, and described what is happening.

He says it sounds like a problem with the idle step motor being a bit out of sync, plus I have never had a ECU re-map since I fitted Staintune pipes 20K ago. He seems pretty confident this will fix everything up.

Booked in next Tuesday for a re-map, fingers crossed it all goes well....

Cheers, Dan.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
That voltage spec for the TPS sounds like the carb TPS speck

Could you be reading the 950 section? It's interesting that the rear is not mentioned.
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
There are two sensors. The first is the one on the main throttle connected to the twist grip. The second is attached to the upper throttle plates controled by the stepper motor.

There is also an automatic idle that controls the main throttle. To test the main throttle TPS voltage you must push the throttle plates shut aginst this auto-idle control. I haven't looked up the spec, but it's more like 0.3v with the plates completly shut.

With this early of a model, I assume this is actually a 2007, you need the latest flash. It's improved running on the 07-08 models a great deal.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
DC1200 OP
KTM 990R Adv

Problem solved!

Well I trailered the bike to the workshop, as it's a 500km round trip to the nearest v-twin dealer for me. I guess being so far from a shop I'm just used to doing everything myself, this one had me buggered though.

They downloaded the Akra map, gave it the 15 miute idle, took it for a spin, and runs better than it ever has. Wish I'd done this ages ago.
They even took the time to fix an outstanding TSB from way back, to check and replace the oil return line from the oil tank.

Thanks for the replies, and a big thanks to Julie and Mark at Procycles for getting this sorted out.

Cheers, Dan.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
Good luck with your MPG and that Acrop map. Runs great though, doesn't it?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I got a pretty consistent 35 mpg on crappy 10% ethanol gas.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
I got a pretty consistent 35 mpg on crappy 10% ethanol gas.
with the akra map most guys are hunting for gas with the fuel light on at 109 miles..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
shawty950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Akra map

07 990s...akra map since 1000 k's......now at 54,000 and been tracking since new via fuelly.

Avg of 40mpg...best of 46mpg.....worst 31mpg

Shawty(Australia)
shawty950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
wildehond
wildehond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Ain't that the truth, BUT it is worth every sent!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
ddorrons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hey guys, I Am having the same issue. Can u please tell me what did your dealer do exactly to fix the issue.

This is a link to a thread I posted trying to find a solution to the issue, since my bike stalled every time I pressed the clutch.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post15807798
ddorrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I had a very similar issue and I tracked it to the TPS. The TPS is very sensitive to heat - it reads about .5v higher with the engine hot than it does with the engine cold. You need to set it with the engine around four bars (old metric). This is very easy with TuneECU - if you have a 990 then you owe it to yourself to pay the $35 for a cable and $0 for the software (thanks again Tom and Alain). While you are in there you can spend an extra three minutes to reset the idle.
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote