Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #196
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,355
have a day off after working a long one, yesterday. Kid's at school, wifes at work.
PErfect day for heading to the barn, right?

well... I had a thought to give the PD a good hundred mileride, today, to break it in BUT-

the carbs kinda need balancing, and more to the point a pretty good cleaning since the choke doenst really work right, anyway, and now the rear drive is kinda warbly.... and its still pretty freaking cold, actually, even for noon... ok, lets shelve that idea, I guess.

I really want to get the trials bike out and play, but it really needs fork seals, and more to the point, fork Fluid, so... maybe look around a bit more.

I need to look at the air filter in the XT. I think the whole damn problem with that thing all along has been too munged up of an air filter. What the hell do I know from "oiled foam filters?" More is better, right? I have chased demons down in the bike nand my heart for almost two years now from the exhaust tip to the very tip of the jet needles and maybe all along I just over-oiled the air filter.
ButI got some PJ1 and some attitude, so maybe it'll get done...

Kinda messy, though.

OK.

Really need to put a charging hookup on the GF's 1150, but that kind requires mucking with the whole thank, and for just a pair of leads I think it'll wait.

Crap.

I now have no idea what to start doing down there

Have you ever found yourself in this situation, and what do you do?

I did hook up the battery charger on the 450, though, and it was blinking green by the time I came back up

Pics will be edited back in shortly.

Stagehand screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 10:03 AM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #197
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,348
a day off after working a long one, yesterday.

Don't know about you brutha, but I'm whupped, you slave driver
The time lapse came out well. An 18 hour day in 2 minutes!
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #198
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,832
Supporter of "Airhead Rallye Team"

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #199
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,284
Those XT carbs scare me. You tore 'em apart pretty fast though. I'm guessing you've done that once or twice? As far as I'm concerned they're proof positive that aliens have been selling their technology to mankind. At least since the mid-80s anyways

I guess I can't blame ya on the weather thing. I bet you've spent a lot of cooooold days wrenching in that barn. We'll start paying for our mild winter down here by boiling every day in July.

Still, we want more videos

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 10:39 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #200
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Here's a short one of the play in the rear wheel:

camera is usually rigid to the wheel, which is why is looks like the FD is moving. But its the otherway around.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #201
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Scotch View Post
Supporter of "Airhead Rallye Team"

:woot

Stagehand screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 05:16 PM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #202
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

OK, decided to go take the PD for a ride, anyway.

Here's is proof: Hope you all enjoy seeing a little of New Yorks charming roads and weather for mid march. I made 53 miles.

Decided to stay close to home in case anything untoward happened. And wouldnt you know it... You might have seen from the video (if you could stay awake long enough) that there was an issue towards the end (actually precipitated the end)

I ran out of battery. I was running the BMW clock, 70w worth of headlights, the GPS, and my heated Gerbing (probably close to full blast).

I first noticed that the GPS was starting to act funny, like teh connection was coming loose. So, I'm pawing at it trying to make a solid connection in back when all of a sudden it feels like its running out of gas, too. So I put it on reserve, but it then goes brrruuuuuuuuuuuugghhhhhhhhhhhhpltt. And I am dead.

Well, shit. I am supposing there was too much draw. FAck it cant be I should be putting out great GOBS of power. Cant even run a heated jacket, wtf? How much does that thing pull, anyway?

I unplugged everything, even the headlights and pop started it. Got me within 7 miles of home as the crow flies when I shut it down again to do some stupid thing, and it still hasnt got the nads to start up. I video'd the 2nd popstart.

Got the bike home and the Odyssey is showing 11.5v :bad Checked voltage while running and it was rising steadily but slowly, faster with higher RPM, but I have no faith, now. Put it on the charger. I guess I will bypass the VR tonight or next time whatever and try to see if the alt is making big volts without it. Obviously I am not fully charging the battery, but I no longer know if the charging system is suspect, or if accidentally flattenting the Odyessy after Sandblast has killed it.
Or as they say, the chargers I have will only go 85-90% of the way to full charge and expect the alternator to put it over the top, or if I'll need to buy one of the Special Odyessy chargers. As I said I made 53 miles... I wonder if that was all on what was in the battery, or if its charging.

Wanted the Enduralast anyway
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #203
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,997
man I hate annoying little electrical crap....

I feel for you.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #204
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,832
I have had no luck with the Odyessy batteries. They do not seem to like airheads for some reason. They were on my PD and my R90, and after 2 yrs were dead. I had them on a new battery tender and after 2yrs were dead, almost at exactly the same amount of time, 24months.

Knowing some stuff about batteries from work, I decided to call them and find out why I had gone through 2 of there batteries on different bike. Turns out that the Odysses like a much higher float voltage than what we put out with our setups. They like 15.6 v when we are normally setup for 14.7v. Turns out that we are not putting enough voltage into the bat and it is causing them to sulfate. They recommended that I use there charger which has the correct float voltage for an extra $150. The Battery tender will t work on these bat's.

So I put a Westco in and have had no issues.

BTW I hate that whistle in the Staintune ARGHHHHH

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #205
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Scotch View Post
I have had no luck with the Odyessy batteries. They do not seem to like airheads for some reason. They were on my PD and my R90, and after 2 yrs were dead. I had them on a new battery tender and after 2yrs were dead, almost at exactly the same amount of time, 24months.

Knowing some stuff about batteries from work, I decided to call them and find out why I had gone through 2 of there batteries on different bike. Turns out that the Odysses like a much higher float voltage than what we put out with our setups. They like 15.6 v when we are normally setup for 14.7v. Turns out that we are not putting enough voltage into the bat and it is causing them to sulfate. They recommended that I use there charger which has the correct float voltage for an extra $150. The Battery tender will t work on these bat's.

So I put a Westco in and have had no issues.
Damn. That charger is fine as long as I'm not going anywhere Anton swears by the odyseys. I know they want a charger that will push over 100% capacity. Most charges apparently dont have the extra ass to put it over. I still have the Westco on float... I'm going to check the voltage with the VR bypassed and make sure its getting high voltage, and then see. The trick here would be to mod the Voltage regulator to do what it needs. HEll if it needs motre than fifteen v we could almost bypass the VR totally.

Joking. Almost. But a simple resistor might actually do that.
I does seem kinda crazy that I would kill an Odyssey after only fifty miles of heated gear. I did seriously flatten it for maybe 24 hours when I ran it out at sandblast and didnt get it charged back up for a day or two.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #206
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 419
so if yer batteries dead will an enduralast system charge it .... ? a side bar ????? I think the enduralast system has the sexiest feature s vs the omega except for that ... i read if the batteries flat it wont recharge it ????
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #207
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 419
heated gear and battery tenders ?????????????? what are those Its not always sunny here but you can always drive around the block ... but them gas is 4.30 a gal here wooo woooo
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #208
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Jason,

We had a big Battery charger discussion on the Bevelheads list a while back and the result is to buy this: Schumacher 1562a (Now $19.54 with free shipping for in store pick up). Below is one of the last posts about it. The post is from a retired engineer who has bought many chargers over the last few years an actually measured them to see exactly what they put out. Works great for lead acid and AGM type batteries.

Russ

Quote from Mike C. :
"It's only $22 from Wal-Mart. It's 6v and 12 v......100% automatic.
Just hook it to the battery, plug it in the wall.....walk away.

This charger is very well made with heavy plastic case and quite small (3" x 3 x 5.5), and has power, charging and finished charging idiot lights that work well. It's a 6 volt and 12 volt charger.... no switch to select voltage, the charger does this automatically.

This is one incredible charger that takes the battery up to 15.25 volts to check it out......then pulses the charge from 13.5 volts to 15.2 volts in short bursts that will not harm AGM batteries.
The batteries are finally settled and held at $13.6 volts and the charger can be left on the battery for months because the maintenance pulse so low amps (20 mili amps)

This little charger got several of my batteries (that would not go above 12.7 volts on ANY of my $100+ chargers)..... all the way to 15.2 volts (for battery internal test purposes) ...... and then got all of them settled down to 13.6 volts.

Make sure what you are getting this exact charger http://tinyurl.com/2c2qyty............ because there is an older Schmacher version with the same model # that looks like this:http://tinyurl.com/2ad8wzm .

This older charger is larger (7" x 10" x 5").......and heavier (5 lbs. vs 1.5 lbs). Also the older version has WHITE hard plastic connector plugs NOT the black rubber water-tight plugs you'd like to have and everyone in the industry is now using.

Do not be tricked into getting this older larger Schumacher charger, it has lower voltage settings and a manual 6v 12v switch on the front of it.

Bottom line..... I have 6--8 chargers spread out over two garages to keep 12 bike batteries alive, most costing $100+ ea. I'm selling all of them. I just bought 4 more of the Wal-Mart chargers on-line @ $22 each with $2.91 shipping right to my door.
http://tinyurl.com/2693om7

Franky I didn't think I'd find a charger that does it all. This one does.
Made for all lead acid batteries..... wet cell and AGM's ."
end Quote
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #209
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,284
My Odyssey's 6 years old now. It's had an Enduralast on it for most of it's life (57k miles). Call John, he's a helpful guy.

FWIW, VRs are $120 new and run about $50 for good used on ebay.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #210
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
My Odyssey's 6 years old now. It's had an Enduralast on it for most of it's life (57k miles). Call John, he's a helpful guy.

FWIW, VRs are $120 new and run about $50 for good used on ebay.
Rick at Motorrad will get you a brand new one for 38 bucks, that charges to 14.2v, which is nevertheless not quite what the Odyessy would like to see, apparently. Unless of course, the VR is at fault, in which case, maybe i get another one for $38 bucks

need enduralst, regardless. talk talk talk I think I got myself talked into the Pine Barrens 300 in mid april.