Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #301
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I am led to believe a four iron is for playing in thunderstorms, as not even god can hit one of those
damn kids.

1 iron idiot! 1 iron!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #302
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,948
Cool2 8ism

...gonna have to start callin' you Snowmanhand...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #303
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,890
I finally got around to doing the rocker arm shims. Only did the right handside as it was the most annoying. I also didnt replace the plastic bushings even though I bought them. The exhaust one was practically new anyway, and the intake one looked fine.

THe exhaust ate an additional .30 with whatever was already in there.

The intake I couldnt find a good one to fit so I took what was in there out, and ended up putting a .20 and a .3o together.

Seems like it basically did the trick. The right side is still tappier than the left by a degree.

But it aint bad.

I'm missing a race (a motocross race, vintage class) in CT this Saturday because I am not quite retired yet. But aside from working on some major holidays though that should be the end of my weekend commitments for the time being, AND...

Rally West Virginia signups are open. I signed up last night.

www.rallywv.com

Gravel roads, and some night racing, which brings me to the next subroutine in our grand program: HID's.

I have a pair of 35w H4 HID's which I'm taking bets on how long they will run without melting the Touratech dual headlight dealio.

Place your bets below.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #304
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

First oil change on the new jugs... about 5 or 6 hundred miles I suspect...

Been riding pretty well. Got some video of the ride home the other night, and you can really hear the knobbies singing!

Ok, well, thats a boring enough post for now I suppose
Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #305
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,333
Good to go for me, Its exciting as hell you ridin that thang.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #306
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Good to go for me, Its exciting as hell you ridin that thang.

I need to get to the pine barrens again...

I got my FD back from Anton-- (CHeck is in hand man I swear to god) and he says i hold the dubious distinction of having the most expensive FD refurb on record. Every wear item that could be replaced excluding actual gears was replaced. And the vent area was full of dirt.

I'll relinquish my hose idea. It looks mad max, but is kinda useless, even for the water crossings I find myself doing. a regular black OEM vent cap should cover me.

I am practicing for the GS trials at the MOA. Still have to sign up. Bike is working great so far.

Think I need to think about a new oil pan... one bashplate bolt hole is stripped out, the other has a sheared bolt still in it. so the bash plate is held on by two dubious bolts. Lots of loctite, and I think I'm going to safety wire it up for a while. Didnt fall off after an hour and half practice session in the woods today. but probably need a new oil pan eventually.

I'm also going to find a new OEM windshield. Need a place for sponsor stickers ;lol3, but this one is too high. If anybody has an extra beat up they'd like to sell, I want to cut one down to half height.

Stagehand screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 06:03 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #307
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,670
Using that bike as BMW intended. Gotta love it!!! Hi Jason
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #308
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Using that bike as BMW intended. Gotta love it!!! Hi Jason
Takes one to know one

I want to thank Chris at Eurotech Motorsports for hooking me up, and for being such an all around great guy <-- May the hordes descend upon your inventory

In a good way

so after cruising the backwoods tonight trying to make a movie to entertain you all, I discovered that the 2nd speedometer with 36K on it seems to have spun out. bike has been starting up no problems, though! Its the perfect kind of riding for the hot voltage regulator.

I also farted around with the Emerald Island driveshaft. I took off the big circlip, and replaced the clear lozenges with the black ones. Fit it back together. Went together pretty easy. I like the way the zerk fittings are accessible... will try and get photos of how they did it.

In other news: I wonder if anybody can tell me what book time on swapping a Final Drive and driveshaft is? Want to see if I can get it in the neighborhood, or beat the time. Should technically be only two hours or so, eh?

Stagehand screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 08:40 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #309
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #310
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Hey Stage, how's that trials bike skill translate over to the big bike? I've been thinking of getting a trials bike to putt around on until I can start riding the GSPD again.

Russ
Tucson
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #311
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

it'll make you want to pop wheelies and stand still on two wheels They are Eff You En Fun. Just dont grab a handful of throttle and always keep the clutch covered. The Trials bike will make you better at riding, period. Mine has been blessedly maintenance free so I still love it even more

The speedo had a lot of water in it. I blew it out with a compressor, exchanged the H20 for some WD40, and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. It kind of came back to life... all though I still have to tap it to get it to go down from 50, and once you hit 60 it skyrockets right up to 85 I think everything on this bike is trying to drive me batshit just a little pinch at a time.

Going to attempt the FD and driveshaft in the morning. I called DAn Edg to see if he wanted to watch, but his driveway is covered in tomatoes.

We all know this should be a fairly straightforward job I cant hardly say that with a straight face
Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #312
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
it'll make you want to pop wheelies and stand still on two wheels They are Eff You En Fun. Just dont grab a handful of throttle and always keep the clutch covered. The Trials bike will make you better at riding, period. Mine has been blessedly maintenance free so I still love it even more
I can't decide between a vintage Bultaco or OSSA and newer bike. The early 2000 'ish models fall in my price range. I'd like to keep it under $2k.

Russ
Good luck with the FD and driveshaft
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #313
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #314
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Ahaaa, well, NOthing is ever straightforward, is it?

I was talking to Chris at Eurotech the other day and explaining that I was about to embark on the FD and propeller shaft swap and said I thought I had all the little parts needed. He casually asked "how'r the swingarm bearings?" and I confidently replied "should be good to go!"

DAMN YOUR EYES

AHahahaha Well they were shot like everything else. I dont have a puller, or new bearings on me SO I call up my friends at MAx's New York shop and find out if they have the bearings in stock, and if they are in a position to pop out the old ones. They say "yes and yes" so I take a little hour and half drive to go get the job done.

By the way, it only took about 45 minutes to get the whole thing completely apart. I was feeling like a hero!

I'm there an hour and back on the way home... BTW- little bit of trivia- MAx's new service writer in New York is kind of famous! Jim Stoddard by name, world champeen GS Trophy winner in 2008. (Teammate of mine ) Max hires some heavy hitters. Jim has done numerous iron butts on his GT and also came in 3rd overall in Vet A class, in the NETRA series. Known for being classic NorthEast death marches... HE's a very good rider.

ANYWAY
I put the bearings in the freezer and heated up the races with a blue wrench and they slipped right in.. SNICK That was satisfying...
I had some trouble getting the swingarm bearings to be even side to side, I guess I dont do it much... so I did it about 30 times :grrr

Then found that the new shaft wasnt mating up to the output flange properly, so off it came #31 times.

I got the shaft bolted up, and was tired and drunk enough with this 2 hour job that has eaten the entire day...

AS a last resort I decide to change tracks and begin figuring out why the throttle has no return. Feels like the locking screw is turned in, but it isnt. CHris at Eurotech had suggested that maybe under the throttle tube was gummed up with years worth of grime, and maybe it was... It is now cleaned and greased, but dammitall for no reason at all the tube wont go back into the housing. I am looking at it like a dog thats just been showed a card trick. Thats when I know i've been sucking carb cleaner fumes for TOOOOO LONG and its time to go to bed, but I am racing the 450 this weekend, and still need to change oil, grease pivots, check air filter,etc...

Girlfriend is wondering where the hell I have been for hours...Goddam I am an idiot.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #315
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
I can't decide between a vintage Bultaco or OSSA and newer bike. The early 2000 'ish models fall in my price range. I'd like to keep it under $2k.

Russ
Good luck with the FD and driveshaft
The older ones are fun, I think, (i'd sure like to try one) but the newer ones will probably be cheaper and run better in the long run. I got my '01 for about $1500.

:Beer