Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #691
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,597
So the way I see it if a rally virgin brings two virgins, then one gets a free entry???

SO how deep are the sand sections, and how much sand??? I'm OK if going straight on the stuff...well at least on the DRZ, haven't had the G/S in the stuff. I do know the front wants to dig in though.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #692
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
So the way I see it if a rally virgin brings two virgins, then one gets a free entry???

SO how deep are the sand sections, and how much sand??? I'm OK if going straight on the stuff...well at least on the DRZ, haven't had the G/S in the stuff. I do know the front wants to dig in though.

Just gotta lean back, so as to "lighten" the front end
Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #693
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,087
Well, if you havent heard through facebook- I finished

weather was awesome, and event organization was also terrific. Cant say enough good things about the volunteers.

I didnt do as well as I wanted to.. Apparently I lost a shifter pawl spring midway through the first stage, and had only third gear for the next two hundred miles, haha. For you collective info though, third will start the bike and go to about 65.

Finished 20th out of 32 starters, 26 finishers. I had better luck than some. The real hero in my opinion was DAve Charlton, who finished (ahead of me) on a 1200GS with half shot TKC's. HE was freaking rocking out. Everyone who rode did really well, and everyone got better.

Here is a graph of the average stage speeds for those in the HEavy class. Aaron Gibson led the charge, and you can see his average stage times at the top. It should be self explanatory.

ALSO: 3/4 of the way through stage two, my bike was running along and then the tire locked up. I thought :oh shit, there's goes the transmission! But instead, all the crap fell off my rear rack and wrapped itself around my back tire. I have video... that took at least three, four minutes to recover. HEnce the dip in stage two times.

Stagehand screwed with this post 02-04-2012 at 08:10 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #694
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,196
So...
We get to open up your tranny???
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #695
Gone-Native
XPLORER

glad you finished! wish I could help with the tranny !

Gone-Native screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 06:35 AM
Gone-Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #696
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,875
Gesus!!! I think your bike is starting to turn on you! Way to be persistent!!!!! Do you have a spare tranny, or is it off to Anton?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #697
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
So...
We get to open up your tranny???
We're going to need pictures.

Rock on Jason. Good thing you were in 3rd ... hahaha.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #698
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
So the way I read this ... the last place guy (yes, I'm aiming REALLY high) was averaging 26mph in the first stage. I *think* I would be a bit better than that (but NOT by much, as fear of limb is a real concern).

Can you send a list of the requirements for the rally? Gear, bike ... etc. Preparation has always been my strong suit.

EDIT: Never mind! Googled it! http://sandblastrally.linaracing.com/2012/comp-main.php

Beater screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 07:35 AM
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #699
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #700
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Thumb

The movie star and the stunt rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Gone-Native screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 06:46 PM
Gone-Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #701
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone-Native View Post
Haha! Not too shabby. Hoping the pics came out well, because the results were eh. Succesfull in a way, but I was kind of looking forward to seeing what could be done under some unhindered conditions. Unhindered as you can be riding a GS. Damn sight better than not finishing, though, and lets have a moment for those that DNF'd. Seth S crashed out. Sarah Roth seized her motor. SHe was pretty disappointed, she would have made a bunch of guys look deep inside themselves I dont know what happened to Luis, but i have pics of him re-torqueing a loose primary bolt on his Husaberg the night before, in the parking lot, in the dark.

That motor is one torquey sonofabitch, though... more than i ever dreamed. And for a good bit of each stage, I had the tach sitting right at 7K. It would just hover a bit back and forth. Found myself backing off throttle to keep from spilling over into the red. I'd think "oh this is probably not great, but there cant be more than five miles left to this stage!"
My Gorpo was in the wrong spot, so you get a really nice view of the cockpit, mostly, lol, but I do have an pretty hilarious sequence of my pulling the camelback out from the tire I timed it and it only cost me about 3-4 minutes, so you dont have to sit through too much video, heh.

The video of tipping the bike on its side to get at the transmission fill plug during the unscheduled service stop between SS1 and 2 is also pretty funny when the top box in the tank opens up and spills out. CHange, bolts, old tape, sockets, gum wrappers, dump out everywhere. embarrassing crap to be carrying around in a race.

AFterwards I got all confused and took off in the wrong direction for a half mile. Technically had an allowed 30 min transit time. I think I was 10-15min late. Started last. Actually got to pass the last guy on stage, though Cant remember the last time I had a legitimate catch-up-and-pass.

DidI mention that Dave Charlton humbled my ass by finishing two places ahead of me on his R1200 with half worn TKC's? Goddamit. That guy is a sleeper. That is no joke, he rode like crazy. I think I am probably most qualified to say what a job he really pulled off. Killer. I was slow around some corners, but even with my 6min 30 in penalties (the four minute one I think is a mistake. I didnt check in early, but neither did I go the awards ceremony early enough to protest) He still matched my stage times, which means he was going at least as fast as I was. On a telelever.

ok, MAYBE if I'd had just ONE MORE GEAR, I might have gone a bit faster, but hey, that it no way shadows what a great job he did.

Again, some pics for the amusement of the non-Facebook among you:

Stagehand screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 07:06 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #702
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,875
Nicey done, Jason!!! Again, proud to say I "kind of" know you!!!! Hope to join your team real soon....for reals!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #703
Gone-Native
XPLORER

right on buddy!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #704
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
well done

jason
congrats on another finish

cheers

qqq
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #705
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

hey thanks thanks couldnt do it without tons of help, so much so I cant quite name you all.

This is pretty funny, though:

I thought it was the transmission finally letting go! Boy was I pleased to learn I was merely a dumbass. It also felt like at least ten minutes, when it turns out it was less than 5.