Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #706
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,796
I blame the new Klim gear. You haven't worked out all the bad JOUJOU on it yet.

It needs to be weather and faded like your Rallye gear for all the bad luck to disappear.

Offer a new diode board as sacrifice to JoBoo to get you going

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #707
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Scotch View Post
I blame the new Klim gear. You haven't worked out all the bad JOUJOU on it yet.

It needs to be weather and faded like your Rallye gear for all the bad luck to disappear.

Offer a new diode board as sacrifice to JoBoo to get you going
Agreed. I was kicking myself for not wearing the proper gear. (THat suit really isnt that bad, comfort wise )

Here is a full stage:
Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #708
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,415
Jason, your video of SS4 looks like rough terrain and a little rutted. What are the rally roads like, ruts, sand, etc???

Are you running the big bore kit...I don't remember.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #709
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Jason, your video of SS4 looks like rough terrain and a little rutted. What are the rally roads like, ruts, sand, etc???

Are you running the big bore kit...I don't remember.
Way ruttier after ten HP2's tear it all to hell. Its a little bit of everything. LIttle hard pack, lot of sandy beach sand... wish the video was more clear. Youtube compression. Maybe my SMugmug account would hold higher res video?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #710
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,001
I miss the faded red jacket. Did you have to retire it to a museum after the movie guy strutted around in it for a while?

That video of you untangling your rear wheel just got more and more amusing as it went on. It looked for a while as if you were freeing a Teddy Bear wrapped in bungie netting. What a relief to see that backpack emerge.

I am a fan of the International BMW riding star, movie stunt double, rally finisher, and denizen of The Ear.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #711
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Mate I crapped myself just watching it. You're a legend

Did you have the damper wound right up? Make a lot of difference?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #712
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,861
....yeah, damper, that's gotta be a must. It amazes me everytime I see one of your vids Stage. Riding that big cow in sand like that.
Ugh! And that retrieving the backpack from the back wheel was pa-painful to watch.
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #713
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Man,you were really pouring it on there Jason, riding in sand is not my strong suit but that was impressive the way you were blasting through it.

It amazes me how your old PD can take the pounding you have given her over the years.In an old ADV thread some years ago you were pondering an HPN type of build,do you ever think about building something a bit lighter,an Airhead with more suspension travel etc or would that be against the Rally rules?

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #714
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

You guys are too kind. I'm really glad you like them. I am kind of experiencing a little post rally blues and seriously want to go race again. Like, I wish I was racing right now. Something about the mission and purpose of being in the middle of it that is addictive and I want it bad.

Yes, I find the damper to be really amazing. Cheating, even.I have it cranked up about 3/4 of the way for the most part. Maybe could have given it a tweak more. It hold straight even when grinding through ruts at sixty. Before the damper I'd have swapped it up and crashed, or slowed to a crawl, which I ended up doing regardless... - I just don't have the balls for more throttle sometimes.

I'd considered an HPN style thing... But actually my tastes run more towards the Sheck style enduro boxers. To that end I'd rather make one of those, and I'm having a whole ton of fun just keeping a relatively stock PD functional. It wouldn't be against any rally rules, they would just class me appropriately. You can run any four stroke upright, as modded as you want so long as its street legal in your state and has blinkers, mirror, headlights and a horn.

Stagehand screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 06:42 AM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #715
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
I've never ridden with a damper before so excuse my silly question but what about if there was a tight turn half way thru? Do they restrict normal turning at normal speed - ie are you fighting the steering at slow speed?

Also while we are talking about it I too love the Schek style bikes.

If one was to build a mono or para enduro bike what kind of rear wheel travel could be achieved? There must be some way of sourcing a universal with a wider movement.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #716
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I've never ridden with a damper before so excuse my silly question but what about if there was a tight turn half way thru? Do they restrict normal turning at normal speed - ie are you fighting the steering at slow speed?

If one was to build a mono or para enduro bike what kind of rear wheel travel could be achieved? There must be some way of sourcing a universal with a wider movement.
Unless dialed way up, the damper really functions when the bars move very fast. When you are just getting around the yard, its not really noticeable but when something deflectas the front wheell and the bars want to rip out of your hands it provides some relief. Ideally, like any good suspension it probably works best right below the level of noticing it.
This scotts damper also only damps in the range from center to about halfway to full lock. Pretty sure it really only does major damping in the "away from center" motion, and "back towards center is less damped as well, so it doesn't just act like a bear.
In theory, also there are setting for high speed and low speed damping characteristics, but so far I've only ever messed with the low-speed ones. I've always just left the other one alone.

Rear wheel travel is limited first by how much angle you can get out of the driveshaft u-joints. I think with a regula short wheelbase /5 you can go some set of degrees either side of straight out that translates to about 6" up and down at the axle. Of course, subframes, fenders and casing out will llimit that before you get there. Optioanlly you would lengthen the swingarm and shaft, but and that would get you more usable travel but that requires some good thinking about fabbing those pieces, making the frame stronger to deal with the bigger lever arm, and ultimately what kind of wheelbase is too long. Lots of things to consider.
How much
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #717
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I tried Googleing it but no info on Sheck or Schek type airheads.I haven't heard of the type.Enquiring minds need to know.

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #718
AliBaba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I tried Googleing it but no info on Sheck or Schek type airheads.I haven't heard of the type.Enquiring minds need to know.

John
There are some pictures and (German) text here: http://www.motorrad-schek.de/
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #719
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post

My buddies and I refer to the Scotts damper as "The Hand of God" when you know that rock is going to take you out, the hand of god holds the bars straight and you're like, wow! I should be flying over the bars right now!

Stage, if you ever want to lengthen, bring the beast project up to the shop here, we can do it! Stan has all the cool machines and TIG welder to do the job
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #720
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Unless dialed way up, the damper really functions when the bars move very fast. When you are just getting around the yard, its not really noticeable but when something deflectas the front wheell and the bars want to rip out of your hands it provides some relief. Ideally, like any good suspension it probably works best right below the level of noticing it.
This scotts damper also only damps in the range from center to about halfway to full lock. Pretty sure it really only does major damping in the "away from center" motion, and "back towards center is less damped as well, so it doesn't just act like a bear.
In theory, also there are setting for high speed and low speed damping characteristics, but so far I've only ever messed with the low-speed ones. I've always just left the other one alone.
When I was a club racer for awhile you were NOT allowed to race in any class w/o a steering damper. There was a reason for that. Even when my friends were just starting to do serious track days with track-only bikes before we went racing the value of a steering damper when riding fast on pavement became really clear.

I have one on my KTM950 as I ride it really fast. I won't have one on my PD as I want to ride it really slow. Who makes the mount to put a Scott's on a R100GS anyway? Is it custom?

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote