Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #721
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
I, too, would like to subscribe to the "Scott Steering Damper on a BMW GS" newsletter...

Just saw the full kit they offer for an XR650L, which requires very few modifications (albeit with custom triples and relocation mounts for speedo, etc.).

Would love to know how much was required to get a "generic" bolt-on install of their damper on our 'Cows, Stage.

ignatz72 screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 04:56 PM
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #722
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,299
Well boys the answer is quite simple and if you already own a scotts damper, quite inexpensive. Contact HPMGuy at Hendersen Precision Machining, and for under $200 he should be able to hook you up with a replacement top triple clamp and a modified bolt on stem. Its a super easy install, even I could do it. A terrific upgrade. The Scotts damperd are damn near $500 so that's the expensive part, so if you've already got one, its about the same price as a CC fork brace, also a sweet piece of bling.

Would write more but I'm tapping tediously on my tiny keyboard

Stagehand screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 05:29 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #723
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone-Native View Post
My buddies and I refer to the Scotts damper as "The Hand of God" when you know that rock is going to take you out, the hand of god holds the bars straight and you're like, wow! I should be flying over the bars right now!

Stage, if you ever want to lengthen, bring the beast project up to the shop here, we can do it! Stan has all the cool machines and TIG welder to do the job

I dont want to make the Foosa a long wheelbase... I moved the fenders and subframe around and got some custom shocks from Wilbers that allow 11 inches of travel

What I need is help fabricating the rear brake lever and cable, the shifter, and getting the exhaust run high. I think I can mount the magneto parts myself, thats just some drilling and tapping, I should be able to handle that

If my buddy Andrew at HAvspeed could pull his act together, his work is divine in the godlike sense of the word, but is also almost as rare.

If my current overseas rally plans dont pan out this year, (still need to run it past the planning and resource allocation committee ) it might as well be time to pour all the money back at the Beast

Here is a thread or two regarding the HPM upper triple install:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370450

Stagehand screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 07:42 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #724
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
loved that last video Stage.
Scared the crap out of me. Like a kid playing a computer game as they duck their head and twist in their seat, I kept trying to raise my head to see over your windscreen at what rut I was going to hit next
awesome stuff.

I've got a Scotts damper coming my way any day now with a HPMguy mounting kit for my G/S (matching up with Rdubb clamps, BRP submount, and WP50 forks/front end). I think there was a bit of guesswork involved with my mounting kit from Guy for the G/S, which will need the pin/tower thing cut to size at least, but hopefully it goes OK.

Unlike your 'off road' version which apparently dampens only away from centre, I got the 'road' version which dampens both ways. I googled and ummed and ahhed and agonised over which one to get. Lots of different advice and opinions out there. I think I settled on the road version as someone somewhere said that it was good/better for heavy bikes. Somewhere else I read of someone that had both road and off road versions on different bikes (both dirt bikes) and though they were a bit different he actually liked them both equally- that was promising, and maybe it doesn't really matter all that much...? Looks like yours is working really well.

I hope I've picked the right one for me but at least it shouldn't be too hard to swap if I need to.

Put me down as well for the 'Scotts newsletter' updates. I won't actually be testing mine for quite a while yet (and I doubt I'll ever be testing it as thoroughly as you) so I'd love to here any tips and reflections as you continue to use it.

Cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #725
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,195
Well, if the "committee" doesn't let you go, and you have the time and if havspeed doesn't have speed, bring the beauty up, we can make all the stuff right at the shop
would be fun to help you with it
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #726
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #727
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
loved that last video Stage.
Scared the crap out of me. Like a kid playing a computer game as they duck their head and twist in their seat, I kept trying to raise my head to see over your windscreen at what rut I was going to hit next
awesome stuff.
+1 Man I love those videos.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #728
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,195
That was some great footage! I didn't know the PD was so fast with a 2 stroke in it must have been that "special" oil you put in the tranny
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #729
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,453
Damn that was good.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #730
bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
I guess I will be about the 700th person to say way to go Jason.
This is one of the best threads here on ADV.
Wow I love to see what you can a do on that relatively stock GS.
Truly impressive

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #731
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Well guys that is really nice of you. Seriously thanks- makes it all worthwhile.

I sent my GS trans off to Anton yesterday. Also sent him an R60 trans I have had lying around for a few years. INcluded this note, hope he gets the joke

Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #732
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Stage - you're so polite and courteous, you could be an honorary Canadian.

Maybe it's your close proximity to the border?

But then again, the whole NY state is pretty close to the border......so maybe that theory doesn't work.

Great job in the rally. Inspirational.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #733
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,262
It looks like your centerstand is coming down from the impact in that last pic A problem I don't think those KTM guys are used to!

Man, camelbaks have got to be the best spinal protector on the market. I wear mine everywhere I go--I consider it part of ATTGAT. On the other hand, stuffing it under the rear fender is a great use of space

Jenna's signed up for the rally in WV and I'm going to try to run it myself. Have you done that one? Any advice for a n00b rallyer?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #734
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
It looks like your centerstand is coming down from the impact in that last pic A problem I don't think those KTM guys are used to!

Man, camelbaks have got to be the best spinal protector on the market. I wear mine everywhere I go--I consider it part of ATTGAT. On the other hand, stuffing it under the rear fender is a great use of space

Jenna's signed up for the rally in WV and I'm going to try to run it myself. Have you done that one? Any advice for a n00b rallyer?
Advice? oh yeah, tons! seriously? This will be great! Yes I've done this rally twice. First things first: read the rules. It's long but it wont take long... most if it is just boilerplate anyway but there are some things that are very useful to know. Finding them is half the fun, haha! no really...

http://rallymoto.com/?q=faq

These are the things you'll need:

-streetlegal bike
----reg/insured/lights/turn signals
----/DOT helmet/chest protector/motocross style boots

-enduro rollchart holder
-digital watch
-pencil
-auto safety triangle
-first aid kit (with space blanket and arm sling, its a car thing)
-red cross and OK signs
-place on your bike to put a number plate, one on each side.

thats pretty much the minimum of a) all the rules will require you to have and b)the stuff that you need to finish the rallye.

As a new guy, you'll be required to attend a Novice Competitors meeting prior to racing. Its a 2-3 hour course that costs $5 for materials. I think this race is held over two days... so plan on getting to SNowshoe on Thursday night. Registration and Technical inspection will take place on Friday morning, as well as the NCO I think, and then racing probably starts by 3 or 4pm. couple of stages on in to the night and then start again in the morning. Sometime sane like 10AM last time.

What I did for housing was to rent a giant condo, five bedroom thing. Split the cost five ways or more and it was about $50 a night for your own room for three nights

My offer to turn the two buddy discount back around to you and Jenna and whoever else (:wink) (beater and Native ) still stands.

Seriously? you going to do this? :yeehaww
Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #735
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,055
Ohhh Brad! Now you can't back out.! I annouced it quietly in the RAlly WV thread in RAcing. But now all of Old's cool knows, so you HAVE to do it! Ahhahhahh!!!!!!!

Yep, I'm in as well. Just sent my liscense shit out.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote