Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #931
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
So, I've looked for your story on the crash and can't find it... can you help a brother out?

WEell it was just about a little of me getting ahead of myself.

I had just had a splendid morning running with Flanny, Neduro and Gone-Native. (SHawn)

The wide open flat gravel was blissful. Bike was running the dozens.

We enter a little bit of powerline double track and about a 1/3 mile in I am doing about 30 or maybe 35 but barely when I hit a rocky ledge au milieu de la piste and the back end begins a swapping back and forth. back end goes to my right, then wicked left then wicked right and begins a slow/fast tip over, so I exit and land on my back in front of the the thing. WE made it about 30-40 feet down the road form the rock. the front roo bar is pushed back in to the dash and is making it so I cant steer. The front left blinker is shot, the left handguard tore out of the handlebar end. FOrk brace is found in two pieces. The ignition switch is several pieces of disassociated plastic and wire ends. The mirror is shot, and the GPS mount was bent but was re-bent back in to shape.
The TT bags are polygonal, and the left hand rack (obviously the side the bike eventually went down on) my shit is everywhere I've got the wind knocked out of me, but nothing appears to be broken. OH I also found my pride lying there wounded, thankfully the guys coming up behind me were able to avoid running it over completely.

Final analysis: I was trying to impress and got a little excited. Indeed I forgot I had a full touring rig on, and the weight on the back when it got out of hand was just too much for me to bring back.

Funny story but the next day when I was talking to Ned I said I "wanted to ask him about the mental attitude for successfully finishing, but i think I answered my own question." (If you guys arent familiar, this is Neduro, the ADV mod who just his year finished the Dakar Rallye.) Pleasure to meet and ride with him.

Here is me following Flan and Ned, (KTM 950 and 450 respectively.)

Damn! ANybody can go straight, but he devil is in the corners!

Slow is smooth.

Smooth is fast, but lets just stick to slow is smooth for now I have a responsibility and a mandate to get Pauls bike safely delivered from Perth to Geraldton. Must try not to race the race.

Here is a thing I wrote to guy around here describing the weekend:

Canada was pretty awesome. Long story- felt like I was a hundred miles an hour with my hair on fire the whole way. First, I got the PD transmission overnight mailed to me from the rebuilder, got here on TUesday. SPent Tuesday night putting it in and putting the bike back together and then spent Wewdnesday getting the bike inspected, going to work, then changing out the screwy starter and fixing the HID's.
LEft first thing Thursday AM, and hightailed it to a little bit south of Ottawa.
Got to the campsite before dark and watched a presentation of the Dakar with Ned Suesse.
Friday, I ran like the frickin wind for the morning, keeping up with some fast guys I knew (unbelievably) until we hit the power lines and my enthusiasm overcame me, I I forgot I had a fully loaded bike and hit a rock, swapped back and forth a few times and ditched at about 30mph.
Yard sale, and bent roo bar makes for not much steering, so I ride bitch back on Shawn's bike to the trailer at camp and we go back and forth and I get the bike back to camp, then its a mad dash to bend the bike straight, hotwire the destroyed ignition and pound the saddlebags square.

Unbelievably, it works. Crazy picture I have of a cast alloy fork brace that SNApped. But the bike is ridable.

I have sore ribs and neck, but am otherwise ok. I dont think I broke a rib, but am pretty sure one is bent.

Saturday, cant believe it but it rides great all day Saturday, until the F650 we're riding with gets a hole in his case, it gets JBWelded but i volunteer to go get oil, a mere 18 miles one way away from our position in the middle of fuck all. (Address: Streambed, Ontario)

A mile from them, I get a flat front! Haha!

Fix that, and get back to the stranded crew. Insesrt oil, proceed 0ft, 2nd JB weld fails.

Proceed to use the 1200GS to TOW said F650 36 miles to camp at 30 on the dirt roads, 50 on the pavement.

NExt day, melt tires from CAmp Tarmigan to Ottawa and then MOntreal and then home, but our previous bike repair failed to address the lack of lighting issues, I had spent the previous day with no lights, riding sandwhiched between friends. Today I needed to tap into the hotwired ignition to make the headlight and taillights work, and find an 1157to make the taillight really work

1200 miles total, EPiC five days.

THere's an ADV thread about it in the NE regioinal forums. Pics start about 50 posts back form the end

one video uploaded so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDWdM...ature=youtu.be

More than you wanted to know, eh? sorry about that

pics taken by inmate "loph917"

Stagehand screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 09:16 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #932
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
wow great story and glad you liked our neck of the woods man, really thankful you didn't get hurt worse, when I saw your bike at the trail entrance with no rider or helmet, I was a little worried.

BTW you're not giving yourself enough credit on your riding skills, anyone that can try to catch Flanny on a loaded cow deserves an applause to say the least.

we caught that same section of hydro trail later in the day when it started raining, my bike was also loaded and ass heavy, I can totally relate to the side to side out of control holly fuck moments, I wasn't going as fast and had just turned my preload on the back spring higher that probably saved my bacon from the same fate (like over and over again)...only difference is that I crash horribly

Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #933
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Back to the tank slapper

For the edumecation of us less talented peddlers, can Stagehand or another racer shed any hindsight wisdom on ways of trying to manage the dreaded "slappers" once they start?.. I'm sure 'slapper' recovery isn't an exact science, but I'd rather try and learn from some one else's wisdom than 'crash n burn' if at all possible:)

Big # 1 From this thread so far is; When riding fast on rough, Ride light in the rear. In ideal circumstances that's a given though. If that's unavoidable then set the rear preload for the job. Given # 2...

O.k; but we're heavy, at speed, and you can feel the big 'hay maker' building up.... Looking back... What next?.... Please don't say "Close your eyes" ;)

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 02:26 AM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #934
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by patanga View Post
For us more sedate peddlers, can Stagehand or another racer shed any hindsight wisdom on ways of trying to manage the dreaded "slappers" once they start?.. I'm sure 'slapper' recovery isn't an exact science, but I'd rather try and learn from some one else's wisdom than 'crash n burn' if at all possible:)

Big # 1 I've got from this thread so far is; When riding fast on rough, Ride light in the rear. In ideal circumstances that's a given though. If that's unavoidable then set the rear preload for the job. Given # 2...

Ok but we're heavy, at speed and you can feel the Slapper starting.... Looking back... What next?.... Please don't say "Close your eyes"

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/
I always figure....... When in doubt, throttle out! We ride big gyroscopes, the more the engine spinns, the more it wants to be vertical! It might not always work, we have to keep that in mind, but quick enough response, we just may save it

-just my 2 cents from the back woods trails of NH
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #935
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,006
What has always helped me is pushing (equally) both sides of the handlebar forward. Throttling up or down is OK ... but pushing seems to stop it pretty quick.

Most people try to counter the turning motion, but most people (read ALL people) just aren't that quick ... trying to push the bar forward requires no dexterity and will stop the slapper without thinking about it.

Just my opinion of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone-Native View Post
I always figure....... When in doubt, throttle out! We ride big gyroscopes, the more the engine spinns, the more it wants to be vertical! It might not always work, we have to keep that in mind, but quick enough response, we just may save it

-just my 2 cents from the back woods trails of NH
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #936
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

I dunno, obviously I failed the exam

in most cases I think tis a little bit like riding in sand, get loose, and let the bike do what it will do, but keep the overall momentum moving forward. a little bit of blipping or blurping of the throttle is necessary, it should provide power to the rear, which, if the front is light, will cause the front wheel to fishtail straight.

Like when youre in a car, and you let go of the wheel and give it some gas, the car will try to go straight and it wont try to turn... same concept.

Good concept I was going too fast to recover. It got out of hand.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #937
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,027
Thumb ThePaceism

...oh that was painful to watch...cuz I was expecting the crash.
Phew!
You are to be commended for riding that old mule and keeping up with those modern bikes. Love watching the 950, I really miss mine now.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #938
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
God, that reminds me of what I did on a R100GS in NZ in '92.

Pranged it, but not too extreme.

Got it home using a Nikon camera bag strap. Used a cheater bar 15' long to straighten the rear sub frame to square. Pounded out the "roo" bar with a board and a big mallet.

Good memories. Still sore

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #939
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Great Ride

Following this thread, we have gotten bitten by the Moto Rally bug.

Buells in the sand. Sounds scary!!!

Thanks Stage Hand

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #940
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
God, that reminds me of what I did on a R100GS in NZ in '92.

Pranged it, but not too extreme.

Got it home using a Nikon camera bag strap. Used a cheater bar 15' long to straighten the rear sub frame to square. Pounded out the "roo" bar with a board and a big mallet.

Good memories. Still sore
HEh- only hurts when I do pullups haha, cough, oww

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealOldDualSportGuy View Post
Following this thread, we have gotten bitten by the Moto Rally bug.

Buells in the sand. Sounds scary!!!

Thanks Stage Hand

looking forward to seeing you guys out there, glad you've gotten the bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Here you go man, a chance to buy a piece of racing history! Some might call it a piece of something else
R80G/S

Oh no! Man you have had that thing forever! It probably looks better than it ever did... WHydya gotta let it go? Wish i could buy it, but I only end up wrecking the bikes you sell me
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #941
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,194
The view Stagehand would like to have out his window......

Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #942
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Great Picture

Thanks for posting

Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #943
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Just got back from a few three hundred miles of gravel roads and twisties. Everything worked great, mostly, except hte negative lead to the aux fusebox disintegrated, but I was able to re-crimp.

Something is definitely bent. I know the roo bar is, its too hard to tell if the handlebar is. I think so. I am pretty sure I just need a new one.

SAme for the roo bar, I pretty much just need a new one.

Same for the center stand.

The clutch perch is functional, but basically shot, also.

I have Hot Grips on hte bike, thinking of ditching them. I think its probably a bad idea to do with out heated grips, but I think expediency might overrule long term thinking, especially in July.

Lost the handlebar insert for the left hand bashguard. Nothing to hold it to the bar, and the left grip also rotates. Sucky.

Here's also something to confuse the issue.

Last Friday I put the new BMW SPort springs in. THey were quite long, longer than the Progressives. even with no spacer, my sag wasnt quite enough. They sit fairly high. Ok, we'll jsut run with that.

For some stupid reason I went ahead and put 470cc in both legs, dont ask me why. Somehow in my head a fluid and spring change somehow became a disassembly. Duh. Knew something dumb happened when the left leg became full while i was still filling it. Hm..drained some out the bottom screw but figured ah hell, it time to go, lets go I'll fix it later.

So I'm changing it tonight and I go to look for the specs to remind me becuase I forget which leg gets how much of which, again.

Check out Antons site: 410L and 440R Heavy fluid left.

OK, check out the BMW manual I;ve been using on file:
Again, 410 L and 440R.

Check out my CLymer, which is hte one I've been going off of for a few years, and..

oof:
410 R and 440 L

I do belive I've liked it better by CLymer all this time

All weekend, forks were kinda harsh as hell. AND I kept feeling like the handlbarrs were bent.

I put in 410R 10w and 440L 15w. WIll get the brand tomorrow, I dont recall right now.

Will test drive tomorrow and see if the forks action is ok, otherwise I'm goin back to regular springs, and fix the handlbars till the RachTech inserts show up. Very excitied about those.

Also on order is new EBC rotor. (thanks Harley for that link)

Stagehand screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 11:16 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #944
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
What's wrong with the progressive springs?
And what brand are those? (wilbers, hyperpro?)
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #945
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster View Post
What's wrong with the progressive springs?
And what brand are those? (wilbers, hyperpro?)
I do believe Progressive made the progressive springs. THere was nothing wrong with them, I guess. I wanted to try the Sport springs because I had a chance to try a BMW Sport rear shock and it was really cool! so I thought some front would be equally as cool, but this whole courtroom is obviated because I just got the tracking number for the RaceTech inserts, and now I have bigger fish to fry.

All the local cycle centers are closed on Monday. :sad