User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #1471
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
Thumb well ridden?

...good job on the MOA article Jason, well written.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #1472
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,532
Tks RD
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #1473
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,174
LINK?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #1474
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

sorry man I dont have a link to an online version :sad

I'll ship you my draft of it, though!

news on the PD: Two days ago AM- its running fine. PM: not firing on right cylinder. Pulling up ferrule makes no difference. Plug appears to have spark but is wet and black.

I should have just swapped cables first, or essentially swapped plugs. I thought i'd be clever though and swap the whole cable. Turns out one of them commits suicide while coming off. Time for a new set of cables and plugs!@

Might as well clean the coil (and lose one of the bolts in the gravel driveway for 20 minutes till I find it hiding in the bash plate )

More threateningly, and I only admit this here where all three of my closest motorcyce buddies will hear: I have been getting entirely too much dust on the inside of the airbox. Post filter. I smeared the whole damn thing with a light coat of grease, so maybe its picking upand showing everything, but should i be worried?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #1475
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
sorry man I dont have a link to an online version :sad

I'll ship you my draft of it, though!

news on the PD: Two days ago AM- its running fine. PM: not firing on right cylinder. Pulling up ferrule makes no difference. Plug appears to have spark but is wet and black.

I should have just swapped cables first, or essentially swapped plugs. I thought i'd be clever though and swap the whole cable. Turns out one of them commits suicide while coming off. Time for a new set of cables and plugs!@

Might as well clean the coil (and lose one of the bolts in the gravel driveway for 20 minutes till I find it hiding in the bash plate )

More threateningly, and I only admit this here where all three of my closest motorcyce buddies will hear: I have been getting entirely too much dust on the inside of the airbox. Post filter. I smeared the whole damn thing with a light coat of grease, so maybe its picking upand showing everything, but should i be worried?

Eshh.....maybe take the jets out and blow some air and check the float bowls. I put some prefilters on my horns ala Prutser and wow, my airbox is always clean!!! I'm not longer an MOA member, Nathan has my copy at the shop 1.5 hours away... Oh, did you call him about the shifter??
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #1476
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Eshh.....maybe take the jets out and blow some air and check the float bowls. I put some prefilters on my horns ala Prutser and wow, my airbox is always clean!!! I'm not longer an MOA member, Nathan has my copy at the shop 1.5 hours away... Oh, did you call him about the shifter??
Yeah, I'm thinking some pre-filters are a good idea. How did you do yours? GreenScreen in the trumpets?>

I did the jets and bowls in the twenty minutes I spent dicking around with it the first time it reared its head.

I did call him about hte shifter!@ We were on the same page, he just hada better idea how to adapt the /5 shift shaft to a GS style one than I did. GOnna take him up on it, and i might be convinced to switch to a clamshell air filter, instead of the GS style but all this is for a different thread I made some progress, kind of
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #1477
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking some pre-filters are a good idea. How did you do yours? GreenScreen in the trumpets?>

I did the jets and bowls in the twenty minutes I spent dicking around with it the first time it reared its head.

I did call him about hte shifter!@ We were on the same page, he just hada better idea how to adapt the /5 shift shaft to a GS style one than I did. GOnna take him up on it, and i might be convinced to switch to a clamshell air filter, instead of the GS style but all this is for a different thread I made some progress, kind of
I used these then cut the spring down to about 2". the front just touches the end of the starter cover. Slide them over the horns.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #1478
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
LINK?

http://digital.turn-page.com/title/4865

but you gotta be a member...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #1479
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,327
I've got a drilled clam shell housing and filter for the low low price of some ART stickers :

My stock air box would leak past the filter too and yes you should deal with it. Don't worry about it though--it's just a motorcycle. The sides of the filter would fold in and break the seal on mine. If the filter had a little lip around the outside edge of the box it'd be fine but it just drops off. I have a Uni foam filter but I had a stock paper before and it was the same. It's one of the reasons I went ahead and tossed the stock airbox. I've heard of people running tape around the filter. That could work.

Checked the little drain valve thingy at the back?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #1480
MoMan
PigPen

Oddometer: 671
I never worry, but I've been deeply concerned a time or two

I've found that with age both the K&N and UniFilter base will (bow/bend) on the back side closest to the battery and allow too much dust inside the airbox. Also, the UniFilter has a finite life expectancy as in the foam will break down and allow dust blow by. The solution...get a new filter.

Quote:
... I have been getting entirely too much dust on the inside of the airbox. Post filter. I smeared the whole damn thing with a light coat of grease, so maybe its picking upand showing everything, but should i be worried?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #1481
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I've got a drilled clam shell housing and filter for the low low price of some ART stickers :

My stock air box would leak past the filter too and yes you should deal with it. Don't worry about it though--it's just a motorcycle. The sides of the filter would fold in and break the seal on mine. If the filter had a little lip around the outside edge of the box it'd be fine but it just drops off. I have a Uni foam filter but I had a stock paper before and it was the same. It's one of the reasons I went ahead and tossed the stock airbox. I've heard of people running tape around the filter. That could work.

Checked the little drain valve thingy at the back?

I think "yes" to all that Might be able to work that out. Much obliged, stranger

Edit: except the valve thingy. Changed that last year, and looked at it the last time it got a filter (ahem) service. Seemed squishy and pliable, I called it good.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #1482
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
You could try a D&A filter. They have a edge all the way round the filter so they can not be pushed into the airbox.
But they made the same design mistake as K&N. There is no gap in the filter for the starter cover.
Super Shaft explained somewere how to mod the filter.

On my bike i did put two thick washers between the air box and the gearbox so the filter does fit without being pushed by the starter cover. Althoug the D&A filter works fine I do use the pre-filters because they are so easy to clean compare to the filter it self.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #1483
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

thanks for the advice, I will endeavor to check it out. MEanwhile, I got new plugs and wires, and it doesnt miss on one side, anymore

Sory for the ridiculous video
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #1484
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...ridiculously awsim

Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #1485
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Far out video.......man.