ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #166
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 12,681
That's a crazy adjustment setup. For someone who drove one a lot, that looks like it'd be a monthly maintenance item, having to slide under and tweak all four to keep things even. Be worse if it had drums all the way around.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #167
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
That's a crazy adjustment setup. For someone who drove one a lot, that looks like it'd be a monthly maintenance item, having to slide under and tweak all four to keep things even. Be worse if it had drums all the way around.
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. It's why people dont do it, and why they freeze up, and i have to go back in years later and fix all that shit.

The real pain, is you cant really get a good adjustment on it by feel, you have to get the wheel up in the air and feel the drag on it. It's a once every 3-4 month sort of thing, but i let it go to long ;)

You havent lived until you adjust the brakes on your beetle. Four drums, eight adjusters, four jack-it-up-and-let-it-down. That, and the constant valve adjustments, oil changes every (i think) 750 miles. Fun stuff. VWs are nice for people who naturally want to tinker on stuff. You cant own one and not work on it. Course, that's why i shitcanned the stock motor from the bus. I'd rather tinker on things that matter instead of incessantly dicking with engine maintenance :)

That, and going up hills!
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #168
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Update!

Pictures!

Ugly faded tweed curtains


Glimmer Stripe by Christopher Lowell curtains


Then i took the icky door panels out and recovered them


This is the only green the place had, i call it ninja turtle green. It matches the avacado green carpet pretty well.


So i flopped the material out and traced out the door card on the reverse of the vinyl


And made a pattern out of the vinyl.


Then, through the magic of television, i attached the vinyl to the door cards. If these look differently done, they are. If you tell me how i'll give you an internet cookie.




Switching channels, now, i went ahead with some much bigger tires. Involved getting some passat wheels, enlargening the center so they fit over the hubs (lug centric wheels, dont worry), as well as taking too much out of the center so they no longer sit flat, then buying a set of mercedes wheels that are too thick so they dont fit either, uhg.
Where was I? Ah, yes. Wheels and tires.


These tires fill out the fenders quite well. The back tires are a little wider than the fronts.


Oh, also. Dig it, retractable seatbelt! Quality of life significantly improved.


While i'm schizophrenically posting pictures, here's the business end of my heater. I cant remember posting about it, it's a suby heater blower box, but using the A/C evaporator core as the heater core. It works good enough to blow all the heat out of the engine. From 180 to unreadably low in 15 minutes :)
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #169
Joz
What could go wrong?
 
Joz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 1,827
Very nice!
__________________
'00 XRV750 Africa Twin, '99 CRM250-AR, '88 TLM220R, '77 TS-50
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #170
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 12,681
You'll love the Blizzaks in the snow. Dry pavement, not so much. Also, longevity is greatly reduced if it's warm out. You'll feel the tread blocks squirm under you.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #171
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
You'll love the Blizzaks in the snow. Dry pavement, not so much. Also, longevity is greatly reduced if it's warm out. You'll feel the tread blocks squirm under you.
Heh. It's a really heavy car with a really small wheel base, it's already pretty squirmy. I can tell its a little more wiggly than normal, probably due to the less stiff sidewalls than it should have.

Rear wheel drive though, got to have snow tires. I've never driven this bus in any kind of winter weather so this winter will be an experience. The bug was a blast in the snow, but you also couldnt flip it if you tried. I'll have to drive nice and easy in the bus.
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #172
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley
 
madeouttaglass's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Smithereens- or what's left of it in NY
Oddometer: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. It's why people dont do it, and why they freeze up, and i have to go back in years later and fix all that shit.

The real pain, is you cant really get a good adjustment on it by feel, you have to get the wheel up in the air and feel the drag on it. It's a once every 3-4 month sort of thing, but i let it go to long ;)

You havent lived until you adjust the brakes on your beetle. Four drums, eight adjusters, four jack-it-up-and-let-it-down. That, and the constant valve adjustments, oil changes every (i think) 750 miles. Fun stuff. VWs are nice for people who naturally want to tinker on stuff. You cant own one and not work on it. Course, that's why i shitcanned the stock motor from the bus. I'd rather tinker on things that matter instead of incessantly dicking with engine maintenance :)

That, and going up hills!
Sounds like my old Ural.
Nice work on the bus. I sometimes miss our 75 Westy. This post of yours reminded me of some of the reasons I sold it.
Thanks for keeping us updated. You deserve some kind of award for the conditions you worked in to get it done.
__________________
Our ride across the USA on a Ural Gear Up- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #173
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Sounds like my old Ural.
Nice work on the bus. I sometimes miss our 75 Westy. This post of yours reminded me of some of the reasons I sold it.
Thanks for keeping us updated. You deserve some kind of award for the conditions you worked in to get it done.

Heh, why did you sell it?

Went ahead and yanked the gross headliner board out. Now the question is what color headliner to replace it with...
Any color suggestions? I'm between white and black, black would match the kick panels and dazsh but white was the color that I pulled out and according to the gf makes it look bigger :)
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #174
MrBob
Certified Geezer
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
Heh.
Rear wheel drive though, got to have snow tires. I've never driven this bus in any kind of winter weather so this winter will be an experience. The bug was a blast in the snow, but you also couldnt flip it if you tried. I'll have to drive nice and easy in the bus.
I drove my 75 non-pop top through 4 Minnesota winters and, aside from freezing my ass off, it did just fine.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #175
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley
 
madeouttaglass's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Smithereens- or what's left of it in NY
Oddometer: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
Heh, why did you sell it?
It was my escape vehicle when we lived in a village and the kids were under 5. The wife used to have the kids and stuff loaded up when I got home from work on Fridays. Come home, go in and use the bathroom, then 250 miles to Buck Pond in the Adirondacks. It kept me from killing some of the lowlifes that we lived around. A few years later we moved to the woods and it didn't see any use anymore. Our home is more remote than any campsite. After sitting in the woodshed for a few years I sold it. Our young family needed the money for things we could use. The bus went to a retired couple who restored it from my 90% to 100%.
Back to your bus. I vote for white.
__________________
Our ride across the USA on a Ural Gear Up- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #176
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,572
Bumfuzzle Blue (www.bumfuzzle.com) Inmate here.

__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #177
trumpet
Group W Bench
 
trumpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Bumfuzzle Blue (www.bumfuzzle.com) Inmate here.

+1 sharp color
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #178
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Burned up my day off working on pokey today. Nothing incredibly major (or pics this time around), but pretty significant creature comfort upgrades.

1) Twice the wattage dash bulbs. Now i can see how much gas i have at night :) Sadly both the temp gauge and the clock remain dark. The former was wired by some dufus, and the latter has some mystery problem i didnt have energy to investigate further.

2) Put in the passenger seat. Now the girlfriend can see out the windshield, for whatever that's worth Fully adjustable, solid, i like it. 'Course now the front seats match (but they're still dark blue)

3) Wired up switches for the heater box. Now i have honest to god multi-speed heat at a touch.

4) This is the big one, i went ahead and cut a hole in the floor, and ran a duct from the heater into the stock heating plenum for the dash/floor/windshield. Even with a relatively tiny (3") aluminum duct running mostly outside you get too-hot-to-touch air coming out very fast from the vents. First time those vents have seen moving air in probably 15 years.

I'll take some pictures when it's light out so you all can ooh and aah over my crappy wiring planning and metal work some more.

PS A good news bad news thing about working heat out of the dash. Good news: Working heat, the selector lever works, cool. Bad news, at some point in the past must have spilled some kind of perfume into the dash or something. The first time i cranked the heat the whole inside of the bus immediately smelled like musty air ducts and really cheap old lady perfume.

So, i guess thats nice. I have heat, and a bus that smells like an old ladies basement :)
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #179
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 12,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
4) This is the big one, i went ahead and cut a hole in the floor, and ran a duct from the heater into the stock heating plenum for the dash/floor/windshield. Even with a relatively tiny (3") aluminum duct running mostly outside you get too-hot-to-touch air coming out very fast from the vents. First time those vents have seen moving air in probably 15 years.
Is this water heat, or exhaust heat? I'd be careful about blowing too-hot air against a cold windshield. Even if it doesn't crack, it might delaminate.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #180
Joz
What could go wrong?
 
Joz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 1,827


As I was reading your post I was thinking: yeah, but what's gonna blow out of those vents? Guess you found out. Glad it wasn't something more nasty.

Super job. Now we need an ADV meetup for you, me, Geek, Charla & Ben, Mr Bob and everyone else who has been custom building non-two wheeled vehicles over the past few months.... Of course bikers would be welcome too.
__________________
'00 XRV750 Africa Twin, '99 CRM250-AR, '88 TLM220R, '77 TS-50
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014