Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #181
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
2) Put in the passenger seat. Now the girlfriend can see out the windshield, for whatever that's worth Fully adjustable, solid, i like it. 'Course now the front seats match (but they're still dark blue)

So, i guess thats nice. I have heat, and a bus that smells like an old ladies basement :)
Sure she appreciates not staring at the ceiling all the time

Quote:
4) This is the big one, i went ahead and cut a hole in the floor, and ran a duct from the heater into the stock heating plenum for the dash/floor/windshield. Even with a relatively tiny (3") aluminum duct running mostly outside you get too-hot-to-touch air coming out very fast from the vents. First time those vents have seen moving air in probably 15 years.
My old beetle would melt shoe sole's if your feet were too close to the heater outlets. That was on an old air cooled jobbie, no mods.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #182
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post

As I was reading your post I was thinking: yeah, but what's gonna blow out of those vents? Guess you found out. Glad it wasn't something more nasty.

Super job. Now we need an ADV meetup for you, me, Geek, Charla & Ben, Mr Bob and everyone else who has been custom building non-two wheeled vehicles over the past few months.... Of course bikers would be welcome too.
That right there is not a bad idea. Adventure bus/van/thing meet 2011 here we come!
We'll have to find parking though, i cant imagine the city of golden being too happy with your r/v parked outside grizzly rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
Sure she appreciates not staring at the ceiling all the time

My old beetle would melt shoe sole's if your feet were too close to the heater outlets. That was on an old air cooled jobbie, no mods.
Yeah. Well, the ceiling is another thing i did that i didnt take pictures of yet, i ripped out the old crappy formica stuff and glued up a regular foam backed headliner piece. Looks 100 times better. Going down the inside of the roof covering the old roof panels with it, looks mucho better.

My beetle would melt your shoes (turned a brand new snow brush into a melted-up-curly-snow-brush in fact), but only going up hill in low gear. If you were going down hill all you got was luke warm air at best, and while it was warming up it would actually suck snow flakes in off the road and blow them up the channels and out the defroster. Rolling snow globe

The heater blasted before, but only out into the floor well. It's amazing how much better it works now that its actually directed instead of just blasting all over. I cant wait for it to get cold now

Pretty soon here, i'll have to jam on some less interesting items. I really need to re-do the VSS and get the computer happy again so it'll idle well. Do something about the mustache bar under the engine (it vibrates on the cooling pipe, super annoying). It needs new plug wires (cuts out under heavy load when it gets wet, leaking secondary voltage i'm sure), as well as an interesting artificial rev-limit effect when its cold that i'm pretty sure is the fuel pressure regulator stiffening up and dumping too much fuel.

Well anywho, i'll get on taking lovely lovely pictures of my handiwork. I'm sure you're all just dieing to see a beige headliner

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #183
Mechanista
manic depressive

Oddometer: 440
Two questions...

What fuel pump did you use for the suby injection? I have that '84 that I wanna convert and the pump on that unit is running around 65psi.

Do you work at the Grizzly Rose? I always go there to eat and drink when I'm there on business.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #184
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,461
Between you and Geek, I can't decide if I should keep my Vanagon or upgrade to Sprint...
Old 11-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #185
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,633
Quote:

Then, through the magic of television, i attached the vinyl to the door cards. If these look differently done, they are. If you tell me how i'll give you an internet cookie.

Driver's side you glued down - maybe spray contact cement?
Passenger side you wrapped and attached on backside?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #186
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Super job. Now we need an ADV meetup for you, me, Geek, Charla & Ben, Mr Bob and everyone else who has been custom building non-two wheeled vehicles over the past few months.... Of course bikers would be welcome too.
In!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #187
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,189
Quote:

Pretty soon here, i'll have to jam on some less interesting items.
Will you be lying in the snow under the bus this year too? I finally got a 5/8" sheet of plywood and park over that when I'm underneath the Volvo; much more civilized.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #188
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Between you and Geek, I can't decide if I should keep my Vanagon or upgrade to Sprint...
The vanagon has style points the sprint wont have for another 30 years, up to you ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Driver's side you glued down - maybe spray contact cement?
Passenger side you wrapped and attached on backside?

Ding ding ding! You get one internet cookie. But, it's a doubleclick.net cookie and you'll never get rid of it, sorry :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Will you be lying in the snow under the bus this year too? I finally got a 5/8" sheet of plywood and park over that when I'm underneath the Volvo; much more civilized.
Probably will end up lying in snow at some point. Not looking forward to it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Drove on some godawful slick roads today. Seriously, solid ice from shoulder to shoulder, and probably about an 8% grade. Made it up ok with a few slips and slides. Pretty happy with the blizzaks so far. Less than happy with wobbly wheels, though. Heater worked just peachy, the air tightness of the rest of the bus not so much. The crunch on the passenger side lower B pillar acts like and air scoop and crams freezing air in as fast as it can into the cab area, so i had the heater cranked the whole way. Good to know it doesnt overheat with the heater on high for that long.
The wiring will also need a little TLC here pretty soon, ignition was acting like it was cutting out occasionally, probably a loose ground or sommat.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #189
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,379
Quote:
Heater worked just peachy, the air tightness of the rest of the bus not so much. The crunch on the passenger side lower B pillar acts like and air scoop and crams freezing air in as fast as it can into the cab area, so i had the heater cranked the whole way.
Christmas Eve, 1983 I lent a friend of mine my car (1980 Citation 2 dr) to go to work. He ran a delivery to a customer's house with it and slid on some ice in front of a trash truck. Bent the car enough to break the quarter glass out. This was during a wicked cold snap, so cold that duct tape wouldn't stick to my car, so I couldn't cover the opening with plastic. (It ranged from -10 to -20 for a couple of weeks around that time, IMS.) I ended up stuffing a roll of fiberglass batt insulation in the open hole to give the heater even a chance of warming up the car.

If you're not going to fix the crunch right away, maybe you can put up a cardboard form and squirt some Great Stuff expanding foam in there to fill up the gap. That should cut down on the air moving through while under way.

(Edit: I'm slipping. That's two major typos in three days that made it through.)

troidus screwed with this post 11-15-2011 at 06:52 AM
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #190
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Christmas Eve, 1983 I lend a friend of mine my car (1980 Citation 2 dr) to go to work. He ran a delivery to a customer's house with it and slid on some ice in front of a trash truck. Bent the car enough to break the quarter glass out. This was during a wicked cold snap, so cold that duct tape wouldn't stick to my car, so I couldn't cover the opening with plastic. (It ranged from -10 to -20 for a couple of weeks around that time, IMS.) I ended up stuffing a roll of fiberglass batt insulation in the open hole to give the heater even a chance of warming up the car.

If you're not going to fix the crunch right away, maybe you can put up a cardboard form and squirt some Great Stuff expanding foam in there to fill up the gap. That should cut down on the air moving through while under way.
Thought about sealing it up more or less like that, but the problem is i use the door alot and its between the sealing surface of the door and pillar. Maybe i can cut out a big magnet sheet thing to cover over the area or something.
It only really becomes a problem when it's mega cold outside or i'm going very fast :)

Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #191
Geek
oot & aboot

Keep a roll of duct tape in the glove box.

Seal it up. When you wanna open it, open it and then tape it up again.

Duct tape is cheap

Geek screwed with this post 11-15-2011 at 08:06 AM
Old 11-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #192
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,379
If you use a form, then the door will seal against the foam after it sets up. It could work fairly well until you're ready to cut in new steel. Or, if a form won't work, build it up proud of the pillar profile and use a surform file to shave it down to the proper shape. (Have we seen a picture of the dent?)
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #193
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,939
Fill a garbage bag with the expanding foam stuff and close the door on it. Viola.

(let me know if that works! )

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #194
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Fill a garbage bag with the expanding foam stuff and close the door on it. Viola.

(let me know if that works!)

Yes. That does work. I've needed custom and secure padding to ship motorcycle engines internationally. Expanding foam in a heavy duty plastic bag works great. It's cheap and easy to remove.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #195
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,939
Wish I'd thought of that when I had my white trash camaro... It had been t-boned hard on the passenger side. The good 'ole boys I bought it from had found a new door but couldnt get the hinges to line up so they just put the top hinge on, closed the door, locked it, and just "dukes of hazarded" it. I got the pillar bent back enough to put the hinge on, but there was a pretty good gap under the door... sure sucked dust in like crazy. Have to remember that for the next beater I buy.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: