User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #61
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Mister Pokeylope update:

Woo! Cooling system is (almost all) done!

Hoses come out of the radiator, here

Go under the front apron here:

Up and over the steering linkage here:

And finally, up to the inlet/outlet on the motor :)

Now its on to smaller projects, wiring, hoses, cables, that sort of thing. Home stretch :)

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #62
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,291
Nice project. Good to see the dent in the front bumper came in handy for routing the coolant line
Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #63
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,804
Doubt you'd even need the radiator with all that metal pipe.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #64
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
I thought about that too.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #65
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,021
dude..for a backyard build with limited tools this is just awesome.

I'm not sure about that radiator though. Seems to me like air can't pass through it. We'll find out soon. Sometimes things that don't look right turn out ok and vice versa.

Good luck
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #66
MommysLittleMonster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post

I'm not sure about that radiator though. Seems to me like air can't pass through it. We'll find out soon. Sometimes things that don't look right turn out ok and vice versa.

Good luck
i think air will pass through it the nose of the van will act like any shroud and create a resistance only problem i see about it getting a rock in it and busting. but i think that it will stay cool as ice year around. i love it good job
MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #67
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 970
Do you have any plans for an electric fan behind that radiator? In stop and go traffic I think it would boil-over without some sort of fan. Can't wait for the maiden voyage.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #68
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post

Good luck
Well, there doesnt have to be much of a pressure differential to have some air flow. The radiator is way too big for this application, so it should help :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Hah probably not, theres alot of surface area under the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
Nice project. Good to see the dent in the front bumper came in handy for routing the coolant line
I found it quite handy, lol. For anyone wondering, that dent was there BEFORE i got the bus :P

Oh, also, it's hard to tell but there are two pretty big electric fans behind the radiator. The computer controls a relay to control them.

Inane Cathode screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 12:06 AM
Old 03-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #69
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 591
Yankee ingenuity at it's finest. Keep it coming....

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #70
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,347
FYI

Quote:
Since 1995, the T2c has been built in Brazil with 1.6 L air-cooled engines for the Brazilian market, and with the water-cooled 1.8 L inline four cylinder 67 kW (91 PS; 90 bhp) fuel injected engine for the Mexican market, the latter easily identified by their large, black-coloured, front-mounted radiators.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_2#T2c
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #71
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
I found it quite handy, lol. For anyone wondering, that dent was there BEFORE i got the bus :P

Have to admit I went back in your pictures and looked

Great progress for a man working in a snow bank. You need a garage man!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #72
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian View Post
Yeaaaah, i know. That's a hell of a drive to pick something up off of craigslist though :)

Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #73
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
Have to admit I went back in your pictures and looked

Great progress for a man working in a snow bank. You need a garage man!!!
Naw, it's just work. In a garage or outside its the same amount of work (except when you rip a hose and have to catch 7 gallons of fuel the other day )

Well i got all the wiring all wired (at least what i can do right now, no MAF, o2s or anything) and tried to start it.

It turns over just peachy, and it apparently is getting fuel, but it wont start (gas comes out the pin holes in the exhaust). Did the old screw-driver-spark-plug trick, no spark.

I did some poking (lol) around with the electronics and got a little tied up and bass ackwards with the main relay. Naturally i jump to the most technical problems (oh no, bad ecu! shorted harness! bad grounds!) After i'd turn the key on, it'd actually stay on for a minute or so. I got it into my head that this isnt supposed to happen so i tore through the diagrams and decided that theres no real way for it to short out, i never touched the power distribution so it should be from the factory still. So i tried the 'spare' ecu from the bug, still the same issue.

Well wtf? So, i gave up for the day (55 degrees drops off awful fast once the sun goes down in the trees). On the drive home (i live about an hour from the bus itself) i had an epiphany that maybe it's SUPPOSED to do that. I recalled working on the bug once where i had turned on the key, then off, then went around back and monkeyed with stuff, and i could hear something squealing. Turns out it was the IACV that was still on for some reason, i dismissed it as a strange happening. So, maybe the relays are working fine (fuel pump relay does it's thing, comes on during cranking and everything) and theres some other problem.

Oh well, no big deal. No sparks are easy to find, i think. Less smelly problems to have and most the work is done with a meter (tried doin the test light thing, not really hip on that for finer stuff).

Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #74
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Well allrighty, i did a bit more work. In the chart it has you check for power and ground in the ecu pinout. The power was good but i had a couple of grounds that werent grounded. One for the sensors and one for the ignition.
I grounded both and tried to start it, and after about 20 minutes of various forms of trying to start heres the result:

I tried five times to get imbed to work.

Its obviously not idling well, i cant imagine why. Wouldnt have anything to do with not having a MAF or o2 sensors, would it? All in good time with that stuff.
Here's the inside of my office today:

I have a nice forest view out my window in my office

Attack of the 50 foot vinyl spaghetti!

Some malcontent hacked these wires and swapped them, thinking that they were obviously wired backwards (red to yellow, yellow to red) then realized that it probably doesnt matter where either of the wires end up. Hmmmm...

That is all for now :)
Next project is:
Fabbing (uhg, welder time machine time again) up an exhaust that wont break off -_-.
Finding an airbox for my spare maf i had the forethought of buying when i didnt need to months ago.
Making a longer throttle cable of some construction (probably 1/16th braided steel a-la whats in the beetle) as well as lengthening the bell crank.
Getting and installing a temp sensor (no tach in the bus, i dont really see the point)
Installing the rad fan relay and wiring
Testing the cooling system (letting it warm up until it almost overheats or cools down as it should)
Finding seats that will work (its got some audi seats that are way too tall, you end up looking out the top of the windshield, and my hair brushes the ceiling). I'm thinking of getting some fiero seat rails and pontiac sunfire seats (by the way, the rails and sunfire seats are a bolt match) that should get me pretty low.
Then, other stuff.
Thanks for reading

Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #75
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
I thought of your bus project today as I was reading about an early model of the Morgan three wheeler.
What could be the connection between a VW bus getting a water cooled Subaru motor and a Morgan?
This version of the Mog had a liquid cooled motor and in the construction of the raditor they used many feet of copper tubing and 11,000 copper washers. So with a bit more tube and thousands of washers you can ditch the rad on the front.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: